First time for raw eggs!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

First time for raw eggs!!!

Last night I gave the girls raw eggs for the first time...and was it funny!! Jersey started licking hers, looked at Serene, looked at me, and tried to run away with it like it was the best treasure in the world!! She gobbled it up in no time! Serene, being the cautious one, licked all around it, ate all the food around it, and when all that was left was the egg, she tried it...and loved it! They kept going back and forth to each others bowls after they were both done to see if there were any scraps left. It was too cute! When they were done looking for scraps, Serene came over and belched in my face, like "Thanks mom, that was a good supper!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:26 PM

lol....I remember the first time my dogs had raw eggs. My oldest, Lucy, knew exactly what it was....she was a stray before we got her and in her younger das she was an escape artisit so it's very possible she's had them before. The other two didn't know what to do. Matty pulled hers out of her bowl and dropped it...she ignored it until after she finished eating, then went back to investigate again...it had cracked a little so she quickly figured out it was somehing good. Bear is a little slower and just rolled his around a little and left it. I had to grab it and crack it a little for him (before matty stole it)...once he realized it was something yummy, he wanted more. A few days later, I gave them another egg....Bear walked around with his and nosed at it a lot before he finally learned how to crack it open.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

hey guys...so you are supossed to let them eat the shell and everything? i did not know this. i thought you wipped it up a bit and mixed it with the food. let me know cause i wanna try it! also, how much do you give small dogs (5-13 lbs)? can i give each a whole egg? thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 09:29 PM

You can do it however you like....my dogs like to play with the shell when their done (if they don't eat it). It's fun to watch them with their first whole egg....just give it to them outside or in area that's easily cleaned.

I've never had dogs under 50 lbs so I don't know if a whole egg would be too much or not.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

ok, thanks.

anyone here know how much to give them? and how often do i give them some egg? once a week? a month?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:38 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane one full egg once to twice a week for any size dog Biscuit won't eat hers whole so I crack it and give it to her mixed in with her food! she loves them! I give her one raw egg a week and one cottled egg a week. Cottled egg is when you crack the egg into a cup and poor hot water over it, let it sit for a minute and then add it to their food.
The reason why I cottle it is because Biscuit is on the BARF diet, as you know, and she is supposed to eat like she would in the wild. Well if she ate a egg that had been sitting in the sun all day long then it would be cottled too. They also have more nutritional benefits if they are slightly cooked like that. I can't think of the exact vitamins released but everyone I work with feeds a BARF diet and are very educated on it and this is what they do so I follow!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

ok cool! i'm going to try it. i just hate giving them stuff other than their regular dry food cause i don't want them to not eat just the dry food. i don't want them to become dependant upon something being in there with the food. buuuuuut...variety IS the spice of life, so i'll try the eggs!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:30 PM

i didnt know you were supposed to give them raw eggs...what is that for? and at what age do you start giving them to them?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

gecko - i know that it helps with the coat, but i'm not sure what else. i'm sure someone else knows, though.

jim brought some eggs over for french toast, so i'm going to try it tomorrow. i gave them some leftover scrambled ones and they loved it!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 01:42 PM

I had always heard that raw eggs were good for their coats, but I've never tried it. It doesn't hurt them if they eat the entire egg shell and all?? (Well, I guess it can't be any worse than eating a steak bone)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

No the shell is high in calcium so it's great for them!!! Heck if we weren't so fussy it would probably be good for us to eat it too!!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i tried it a while ago and they liked it. they will NOT eat the shell though. i even crunched it up for em. but no...

but they did like it. i mixed it with their dry food.

does anyone know of any other raw foods i can mix with their dry food?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

anything jane!!!! Mix up vegies and the whole egg in a food processor or blender and mix that through....if you use th eblender add just enough water to for it to blend, otherwise it is as runny as water.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

anything? i heard they are allergic to certain things. like, no onions (wouldn't do that anyways). i just don't wanna hurt em. i know NO peanuts, choc or onions. is there anything else?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

no biscuit gets everything but those three things....she mainly gets peppers, brocolli, carrot, spinach leaves and snow peas. That's what we eat the most and she generally eats a raw version of what we eat!! You can add a tablespoon of cottage cheese to it a couple of times a week if you want to as well!

Tags
barf diet, dry food