Fleas! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fleas!

I have treated Messi with frontline since i got him and last month he had fleas, i only found one and i had squished it before i knew 100% it was a flea, but now he has fleas again! it hasn't even been a month!!

And bonus we are in mid blizard so i can't get anything until it stops snowing and blowing so much. So i am cuddling with a puppy with fleas!

I noticed them when i gave him a bath and found like 10-15 in the water. Looking on him i found like 5 more!

Now i am all sorts of itchy.

Now he is itching as well i think i made them mad by soaping him up. I can't find any in his bed and washed it anyway. Ick.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I heard that dawn dish soap kills fleas really well. If you were to give him a bath with that, I would put a capful of oil in his water so his skin doesn't dry out. We had a major problem with fleas a few years ago and the only thing that worked was revolution. I ordered it from www.petshed.com

*Missy*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

We only have palmolive and i can't get to the store. Plus he just got a bath today he has finicky skin and it will dry it out anyway.

I haven't even noticed him itch at all in a long time

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

poor little guy i may have to wash him with dish soap again tonight! Uck. Gross. I am so mad. I don't think i will be using frontline anymore he has fleas even though he is on it. However, perhaps he doesn't have many and maybe they haven't been laying eggs like crazy he must have gotten them at the dog park a few days ago.

Ah yuck.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

eek! Isn't it awful when you just want to snuggle but all you can think about is the fleas! Ugh its like when you see your dog eating something gross. I always think ugh I'm not letting her near my face anytime soon....I always forget though. Yikes, I'm sorry about Messi though. It sounds like you're a bit stuck, with the weather and all
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

btw, are you guys watching the world cup stuff? I bet your bf (and you?) is getting excited!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

frontline or advantage/advantix do not work in my area. Everyone I know now is using the flea pill Comfortis. I have been using it for a year and I have not seen one flea on my dogs since. We go to dog parks, doggy play dates, lots of hiking in hay fields (tall grass)
I am very pleased with it!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ooo i will look into that.

It looks like i killed most if not all in his bath, I can't find any on him so that at least is taking care of some of the problem. As it snowed 14 inches already today and we are in a blizard warning until 6 pm wednsday.

It is now taller than messi! Poor little guy i opened the door and he jumped down the steps to go potty and on the last step his upper half jumped in the snow and his little but was stuck in the air. I had to pull him out and shovel a little area for him to potty in. But on the plus side it makes walls so i don't have to have him on the leash really. Haha.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
frontline or advantage/advantix do not work in my area. Everyone I know now is using the flea pill Comfortis. I have been using it for a year and I have not seen one flea on my dogs since. We go to dog parks, doggy play dates, lots of hiking in hay fields (tall grass)
I am very pleased with it!
This happened in my area with Frontline and Advantage . Advantix is still sort of working but I'm switching to Comfortis.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I've heard a lot of people say that Frontline doesn't seem to be working anymore. I haven't been using topical flea stuff on Kit. I use sentinel for heartworm prevention and that also kills flea eggs (but not adult fleas). I've been lucky so far because he's never had fleas, and ticks aren't much of a problem where we live.

Baths should help until you can get him something for the fleas. The fleas and eggs get trapped in the bubbles and then drown in the water.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Part of the Pack

Comfortis seems like it would have some great perks for dogs who love the water in the warmer weather! I'll have to check with my Vet on this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Hello Earthling

Fleas can live in your home so I would suggest that you get everything cleaned.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

For up to a year! I know!!!! YUCK!

I don't have any flea powder to put in the vacuum though so really i would just transfer them.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

well the petstores along with nearly everything else was closed today because of the blizzard but i was able to get to walmart and get some citrus natural insecticide shampoo for fleas and ticks and washed him again poor little guy had to sit in the shower for 25 mins because it has to sit for 20 on him.

He got yelled at for licking me because i was soapy and he can't eat it. Then he had to go back in because he was still soapy and i had to shove him in the shower to really really really rinse it. Then he had to get blow dried because it is -20 out (with wind chill)

I also got a flea comb so he had to be combed and it pulls his hair because the teeth are so close together

I also got flea spray for the carpets furniture and his bedding. so I sprayed the bathroom really well, along with his crate. Later i will spray my room and keep him in the living room. and wash his bed again!

And then as soon as the stores open i will get him the pill that makes it so eggs don't hatch.

He is so upset right now. He ended up curling up in a little ball on my lap and shaking when i was blow drying. :'( i feel like a bad mom.

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

if you do not treat your home at the same time fleas will just jump right back on your dog.
those baths will only kill the fleas that are on there. the minute that dog steps foot out of that bath tub more than likely fleas will start jumping back on him.
for that reason I am not a fan of even bothering with a flea bath.

Tags
fleas