Food Aggression - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I wonder if it would help any to serve him in a new dish, or even just on a paper plate?

I don't have much advice on this, Allie can be very aggressive at times, but never over her food.. but she knows her food has always there.. she gets aggressive over milk bones, or busy bones.. special treats, that she doesn't get very often, and worse she will hide them, and has lunged at me when i went to pick her up once, cuz i didn't know David gave her one.. she worries me sometimes, but i fear theres really not much we can do besides not give her treats anymore, or hold them and let her eat them. I would not trust her with a child. and usually either put her in her kennel, or lock her in the bedroom if a child comes to visit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:32 PM

Steph, you are doing all the right things with Creole. I did a search on the pit bull forum I belong to and we have a few dog behaviourists that say to feed each morsel of food by hand. As you know, any type of aggression coming from a pit bull (I know Creole is not a pit bull) is a huge problem so we take that kind of behaviour very seriously. I didn't read all the information on this link but one of the members posted this: Possession Aggression Your next step is to see a behaviourist. That type of behaviour really worries me as I know it does you.

I forgot to ask, what do you do when he tries to bite you?
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I very loudly tell him no and just take whatever he's going for (usually my hand/arm) out of reach without backing down or too far away, as well as try to make eye contact. I don't want him to think that being aggressive is the path to getting his way, but I'm not certain I'm doing it right either.

Yeah, I'm looking seriously for a behaviorist. The trainer where they board sounds ok, but I'm not sure I want to go with someone who isn't board certified.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Also, the thing that confuses me is that he isn't possessive with bones or toys. JUST food. He's also not possessive if I put food in one of the rolling treat balls.

Edit: I've read the link you posted, Denise.

Stephanie

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Interesting to say the least. So there is something about the food being in the bowl that triggers it. This is intriguing me and I look forward to hear what the behaviourist has to say.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

No, it doesn't even have to be in the bowl. If it's on the floor or in his space, he starts guarding it. We found that out when we removed the bowl weeks ago.

I've also been moving around the rooms and switching rooms while feeding, trying to stop him from associating one area with being his to guard.

Stephanie

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Well I did have that one problem with agression but it was just a sibling rivalry with my girls that passed mostly on its own. The funny thing is they never fought over their food they eat side by side and shove each other's noses into the other ones food all the time and it never triggered it. My dogs are freaks but that is besides the point.

My behaviorist traveled pretty extensively. I think they are far and few between and realize that they have to travel to some degree so even though there isn't one in your direct area they may travel to you. They charge enough!
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The dog is just not right.

I fed him on the floor tonight (i.e. putting small amounts of food onto the floor for him to eat) with my hand on his back just behind his shoulder blades the whole time and not a growl, no sign of aggression, nada. Ate just fine with me quite close.

I gave him the OK to get up and called him to the other side of the kitchen. I praised him and started to pet him and he growled at me. When I looked at him and told him no, he growled again. I put him in a down before I let him outside, but geez ... Something about eating just sets him off, I think. Yeah, we obviously need a behaviorist here ... this is way beyond me.

Stephanie

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

im sorry Jade, maybe he is in pain? have you found any leads on a behaviorist?

My Furry Family
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I emailed a trainer last night, but have yet to receive a response. Hopefully she'll get my email on Monday. I'm not coming up with any actual behaviorists, though.

The thing about being in pain is that he doesn't do it ANY other time. He quite happily cuddled with me on the floor this morning.

Stephanie

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

This is going to sound weird but have you ever fed him outside?

Rocky tends to be very possessive of things but only inside. I guess because it's his "territory". Outside he's usually perfectly behaved. Just a thought.

And I can sympathize . Rocky is ok with food but sometimes when he's inside he'll grab a random object and run off with it. Then if you try to take it he'll growl and even snap. I've done everything in the book but it doesn't seem to help. He knows all his commands, he knows he's not the leader, he's generally great with kids, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Wow, I don't know what to tell ya Steph. Sydnee has food aggression issues but it's only with other dogs. I can stick my hand in her food bowl, pet her, do whatever and she's fine but as soon as one of the other dogs get near her she growls. We stopped that by feeding them in their crates.

I hope you can find a behavioralist somewhat close to you. I wanted to find one for Syd's sibling rivalry problem and Helen's couch possession issues but the closest one to me is about 3 hours away.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Rhonda

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 PM

If he seems to get aggressive when you go near him AFTER the food is down, maybe you could sit next to the food bowl or put it in your lap and put your hands in the bowl around the food THEN let him come and eat it? If it doesn't seem to risky and you can make him sit and wait with just voice commands.
Or hold the bowl while he eats and if he shows any, even teeny tiny, signs of aggression, make him back off by using your body to show its "yours" before its his.

I agree with someone above who said maybe he feels too low on the totem pole and feels like he needs to stand up for himself.

I wish you luck!
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You don't think that eating is causing any pain - do you? Maybe he has stomach issues? Crohns? Colitis?
I don't know maybe I am grasping at straws but I thought it was odd that he became aggressive after he ate the last time. That seems so odd to me.
I am lucky Belle gets aggressive over rawhides so I have banned them from the house. You cannot really ban food.
Good luck.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM

Have you tried simply correcting him when he growls? Like a quick "no" or a sharp "uh uh"? My heeler mix likes to growl if you try to move him while he's resting, or even if another dog comes in the room while he's on my bed. A quick "uh uh" usually fixes this. Usually dogs are not at a biting point when they are growling, so if you can stop the growling with a correction, he shouldn't get to the point of biting. (Just watch out for any freezes)
(I'm sorry, I just read that you have ) But if you take a step toward him and put yourself in an up and over position (not bending at the waste, just up and over) when you say no it may help, up and over is a very dominant position. If you step away when he growls he's learning that growling gets him what he wants. If you simply become more dominant he should start breaking that habit.

Last edited by leplake; 09-18-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Tags
broken leg, cocker spaniel, food bowl, obedience training, pit bull