Food Aggression - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplake View Post
Have you tried simply correcting him when he growls? Like a quick "no" or a sharp "uh uh"? My heeler mix likes to growl if you try to move him while he's resting, or even if another dog comes in the room while he's on my bed. A quick "uh uh" usually fixes this. Usually dogs are not at a biting point when they are growling, so if you can stop the growling with a correction, he shouldn't get to the point of biting. (Just watch out for any freezes)
(I'm sorry, I just read that you have ) But if you take a step toward him and put yourself in an up and over position (not bending at the waste, just up and over) when you say no it may help, up and over is a very dominant position. If you step away when he growls he's learning that growling gets him what he wants. If you simply become more dominant he should start breaking that habit.
I already do that. I don't back down or back away when he growls, just get any hands/arms out of reach. We've been doing that. We even tried shaking a can of coins when he growled as a correction ...

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

What about squirting him with a water bottle?
It does sound like you need more than that but again - I am grabbing at those straws.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I doubt it, solely because it doesn't work as a correction for other things. We tried it in the past for things like jumping, etc.

He's starting to worry me ... I had a treat ready to give him tonight and when I told him to lie down, he growled and lunged at the treat in one motion. I jumped out of the way and then stepped forward again and loudly told him no and he growled again ...

I found a trainer today who is about 45 mins away who deals with aggression. I'm going to call tomorrow to set up an appointment.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Sorry you are going through this Steph. I know you can't wait to see the behaviourist.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck!

Hopefully the trainer will have some good ideas for you.

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Good luck! let us know how it goes with the trainer.

My Furry Family
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

We've got an appt. set up on the 2nd. Hopefully we can figure this out.

Stephanie

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Miss New Booty

So sorry you are going through this, Steph. Glad you got an appt. and hope you can both can figure this out.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
broken leg, cocker spaniel, food bowl, obedience training, pit bull