Foot licking - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Question Foot licking

Mirra has been licking her front left foot for about 1 1/2 weeks now. She does it when she's laying around the house. She's not limping on it and I've checked for cuts and bumps and there's nothing that I can see wrong with it. I'm becoming concerned because she's almost got the hair licked off the top of it and I'm hoping it's not an obsessive/compulsive behavior popping up because bullies are very prone to that.

Any ideas? I'm trying to think of something to put on it to deter the behavior but I don't want to poison her or burn the hair off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

try bitter apple, we used it on my dog, he kept licking, and we never found out why, but you might want to take him and get him checked out

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Rhonda, Grace is like this too. She is a complete foot chewer/licker. I personally think she is compulsive about it...we have taken her to the vet and they have ruled out an allergy...so basically they say it might be because of boredom too...not that she doesnt have a million and one toys to play with, she would just rather chew on her feet. Its pretty sick, and when we notice her doing it we just tell her to stop and she does...hopefully its nothing to worry about with Mirra and you can get it figured out, also we have tried the sprays and stuff and they dont work, at least not with Grace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Chaquita has been a foot eater since the day I got her. I catch her doing it and I tell her "no" or to stop and she will. She will stick her whole foot in her mouth and rythmically naw on it for 10-15 min (I usually catch her by then).
I used to put Bitter Apple on her foot each day and that worked for her. But I stopped cause she doesn't do any damage to her foot. But I don't let her do it when I see it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

i think maybe it is normal. Zoe often licks her feet while she is laying around the house also.

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Miss New Booty

Jasmine and Kahlua do this, too, Rhonda. It might just be a habit. Jasmine even bites really hard on her paws, I thought she was chewing a toy! I would just keep an eye on it. Bitter apple might work like Happy and Jane said.

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Update: The foot licking has continued and she's totally licked the hair off the middle toes on her left foot and started limping on it....so yesterday it was off to the vet for Mirra. The vet suspected a possible allergy and she put her on Prednisone tablets for 8 days and also some spray. We're all a little confused because there has been no change in food, bedding, environment, ect.....so who knows. I just hope this stuff works and she stops licking!

Off topic, but I took Sydnee and Scarlette along for their shots to be updated. Sydnee (aka: "Walking Dough Ball") now weighs 20 pounds (up from 11 pounds 4 weeks ago) and Scarlette weighs 90 pounds and is looking pretty good. Yes Carmen, I know, you want to see pics to see if Scarlette really does exist.

Rhonda