Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

To foster or not to foster?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kendalle 
#1 ·
We have a Cavalier king charles spaniel at work that i am thinking about fostering.... and possibly adopting (if i just can't give him back)

About him: he came from craigslist, the ad said he was 4 years old, 100% house trained, up to date on EVERYTHING and awesome.

The guys that went to get him were going to get him for their mom that has been looking for one, once they got there the dog was covered in his own poop, scared, and teeth rotting out of his face. They decided that their mom couldn't handle him as he needs expert help and he needs his teeth removed, and neutered and i doubt he is up to date on anything. He is terrified. So they payed $200 to get him out of there and brought him to us where they have adopted 3 dogs themselves.

Now, he is marking at the shelter and i'm not sure if he will or not here at home, he loves my dog, and all other dogs, but he is really shy with us. I bought him a belly band last night, and am taking Messi back in to the shelter with me to play with him today.

He is getting his teeth removed and neutered on wed.

Messi is just so easy by himself, and this dog has issues, we have no idea how old he may actually be but he does act 4 like the ad said. I doubt i will have to worry about him chewing on anything, but i'm not sure if i can handle if he is a money pit of issues as he is a puppy mil dog.

I will probably foster him. Any advice on stopping him from marking? i don't want a dog that has to wear a belly band at all times. I was reading up on it and all the advice is making a loud noise and i think that will scare him. I need him to trust me.

Also what do i need to do for a dog with no teeth? he is eatting canned now at the shelter but messi is on good grain free dry and i was thinking i could soak the cavy's. :confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
i decided not to foster him, he kept trying to mount messi, and didn't understand messi's warnings at all. and i didn't want messi to eventually bite him because of it. I had him out for 45 mins and he marked around the room enough that his belly band was dripping wet after 45 mins. And he is potty trained he will go outside. it is marking, hopefully neutering will help, i just think that he is imbred enough that he isn't the smartest little fella, and didn't want him to get hurt.

Plus he bonded really fast to messi and followed him around and cried when he couldn't see him and messi wanted him to leave him alone eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.