Fostering dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Fostering dogs

I am seriously thinking of fostering a collie from a rescue. My dog loves other dogs, and he is very used to being around them. He is an only dog and we are inseparatable. This is where I worry about my fostering. I am scared that he will be sad when I take my foster for a walk and not him. I know from experience that he does not care if i give another dog attention. he doesnt care if i baby talk them, give them treats or anything (he doesnt like it when I pick one up though!) but the walks are our special time and i am scared he will be upset at me. Doesnt this sound crazy!?
I just cannot imagine walking two dogs next to a busy road. And the foster is from a puppy mill and has never been on a leash! So i guess one will have to be walked in the morning and one at night. And sometimes i will take them both to the park and walk them together.

can anyone else here think of any other problems with fostering dogs? I know that they WILL have issues like people aggression, house soiling, chewing, and probably never heard the word sit, etc.
what am i forgetting? i would hate to realize i have made a mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

Fostering is a big responsibility,yet rewarding at the same time and worth it.

Obviously Ruckus is top dog,so you will have to make sure he gets attention first,so he doesn't feel left out or like he is being replaced.Feed him first as well.I would walk him before you walk the foster,if you cannot walk them together.

Most dogs that come from rescue organizations have some sort of problem and need to be worked with.They will have to learn house manners and things like that.

It is greyt to foster dogs,because you give them a boost.You give them love and attention and care before they go on to their forever home.You get to show them the ropes of living in a house.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
puppy mill