Found a stray...just what we need. Haha. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Found a stray...just what we need. Haha.

Yep, I found one. In the ghetto. Seriously. I have to drive through the ghetto to get to and from my parents' house.

Well, on the way back, I see this black dog wondering aimlessly in the street. It had no concept of the cars or anything. So, of course, I pull over. In the ghetto.

I had some bread from my parents' house, so I grabbed some of that and called her to me. I finally gained her trust and go to pet her, etc. She had no collar, no tags, nothing. She's not spayed, and her nipples looked big (like she'd had pups before), so I squeezed them to make sure no milk came out (wanted to make sure some pups weren't depending on her). Nothing came out. So in the car she went.

It was at this time that a man came up to my car and asked if I was looking for drugs, what I was doing out here, and if I could give him a ride. I said, "No, sorry. I'm a girl, you know." And he said he understood. Awesome. So with that I sped off.

I got her home, bathed and fed her, and she slept in the kitchen for the night.

I put her in the same place today, but she got through the gate (it wasn't very secure) and pooed and peed in Jim's room. I guess she's not potty trained. She shakes, sits, plays with toys, gives lots of kisses, and is very attentive. Very submissive. Not too bad on a lease. Just a little pulling.
Her left eye has dry skin around it, and so I think there's something wrong with it. Also, Jim said he noticed blood in her poo. And when I cleaned her mess today, there was a tiny spot of blood in the urine area. Hmmm. I can't take her in to the vet until Monday.

I'll check for a microchip (SERIOUSLY doubt there is one), and have her looked over.

I'm putting her in the crate tonight, I think. She definitely won't have access to any carpeted areas.

So what should I do? Normally I would put up flyers, ask around, and all that usual stuff. But she was in a bad part of town on a very busy street. There are neighborhoods that branch off of that street, but I don't know which one she came from. Should I do the usual, or should I just try and find her a home?

Btw, she looks just like Chaquita, except bigger. Haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Small update:
I still don't know whether to look for the owners, if there are any.

And, I have a friend who is interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wow a stray! she sounds like a sweet dog. i doubt she has owners. if she did, LIKE they care pffft! i say you keep her and find her a great home with your friend pics?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm, that's a tough one. Just because she was out on the street doesn't mean that she didn't have caring owners and maybe just escaped from them somehow. Especially since she's trained and stuff. She could have just had the accidents from being nervous in a new place. Does she look well fed and stuff?

I don't live in a very good area either, and I would be devistated if one of my pets escaped and someone found them but didn't try to find me. But then again, if one of my pets escaped I would be out posting missing signs and looking for them!

But it might not be that they wern't caring for her, maybe she got hit by a car or something and that's causing the bleeding, you never know.

Maybe you could take her to the vet and see what's wrong with her. If it's something that could have been caused by being out on her own rather than neglect, post signs but say on them that she was found sick and you'll need her owners to reinburse you for her vet care. I would think that if they truly care for her they wouldn't mind paying the bill, but if they don't care they might not even answer the add.

I don't know, maybe the vet could tell you weather or not it looks like she's been cared for lately or not. Instead of posting signs, you could just call the vets/shelters in the areas and ask if anyone has reported her missing. That way if the owners go looking for her and call the shelters they'll be able to find her, but if they don't care enough to call and ask around then you could find her a new home.

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Let me put it this way - her first night here, she was completely lethargic. I had to pick her up if I wanted her to move somewhere. She wouldn't do it on her own. Jim said it was probably starvation/dehydration. Sure enough, the next day, she is full of energy.

I found a tic on her this morning, btw.

She's also had pups and isn't spayed. I doubt she has a loving owner like you, if any.

Pics coming!

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Unhappy

We lost our beautiful Female Dobie when we were moving from one city to another. Somebody let her and her son out of our back yard while I was taking a load of our stuff to our new house. the back yard had a 8ft board fence. when I came back to get more stuff the gate was wide open. We found her son at te pound. We looked for months for our Kellie. We posted signs and called the pound every day. We never found her. She was spayed so she couldn't have puppies. So you never know about a wandering dog. She might have been stolen or got away from her owners. I cried for Kellie a long time. So the owner of that dog might have done the same. I know there are some owners out there that don't care, but there are some who do. But they just can't find their pet. I alwas worried that she wasn't taken care of by caring people. But there wasn't anythiing we could do. We couldn't find her.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

I'm so sorry about what happened.

I always post flyers. I'm not one to just keep a dog. And I didn't mean that the ghetto/bad neighborhood only has bad dog owners. I only mentioned that to mention that guy that came up to me.

Well, she looks like a lab-ish puppy, and acts like a puppy, but she has big nipples, and looks like she's had pups. That's the part that worries me. That whoever owned her was breeding her.

I will call around on Monday. Call the vets in the area and the shelters to see if anyone is looking.

Oh, what I thought was her doing the "shake" trick is actually just her pawing at me.

So, all in all, she may be someone's dog, but she may have been bred, too.

Here are pics:

I love this one. She looks JUST like Chaquita here.

See her left eye? The dry skin around it? Any ideas?

Look at her by Chaquita. Are they twins or what?

Passed out.

Here is one to show her nipples. This is why I think she's had litters.

That's it.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Oh, and I won't be able to take her to a vet until Monday. The problem is, we are completely broke. But I felt it was better to bring her here than to leave her out in the street.

I just have no clue how we'll afford a vet visit.

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Well, I just finished looking at the "lost" postings on petfinder and posting a "found" ad. Hopefully I'll hear something.

I'll tell you what, though - going through those "lost" postings was one of the most depressing things ever. I kept thinking about all those scared lil pets, and then I thought about "What if it were mine..." I almost cried a few times.

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

I feel like I'm the only one posting in here. Hahahaha!

Well, I made flyers. I will put them up today or tomorrow.

Also, here's a video I shot a few minutes ago. PLEASE pardon the way I look...I had just gotten out of the shower. I'm about to go to bed. Yes, bed.....at 6:15am.

So here it is. It's a larger file, btw.

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Aww she's a cutie! Is your friend still interested in taking her if you don't find her home?

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Well, it's actually my friend's parents. They have five acres of property outside of Austin, TX. They have two dogs already, and they said they would think about it. I don't know. But honestly, I'm thinking that they will say no.

post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow what a dog! i can't believe you found her. she does look like someone's dog. it's good your posted things. it's all you can do but you did it and that's what counts. i wish you the best on monday vet day. maybe she's chipped. frankly i hope not if she's that young and has been bred? i dunno sounds fishy to me. i think she's better off with you!

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Well, someone on another forum said that a dog's nipples can appear large like that even if she's never had pups, but if she isn't spayed. Is that true? They just seem awfully saggy to me.

My cat wasn't spayed in time and had one heat cycle (this is when she was with someone else), and after her spay, she still developed boobies (the breast tissue...lumps) cause the hormones were still in her a bit. We had it checked out, btw. But no saggy nipples.

But, I had noticed that the dog's nails are short. They look clipped, but it could also be from running around on the street and concrete so long.

Jim said if she has owners, he is hesitant to give her back cause she came to us so lethargic and with the blood in her poo/pee. I told him that maybe she escaped a long while ago, and that all that had happened in the course of the time she escaped. Mine would look pretty bad, too, if they'd been gone for a while. But if she's only been gone since the day I found her? Not good.

Last edited by Formula86; 05-04-2008 at 05:22 PM.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i really dont know, sorry, maybe call the vet and ask?

Tags
dog owners, dog park, heat cycle, humane society, kennel cough, lab mix, potty train, potty trained, vet care, vet clinic, vet tech, vet visit