FREE - Dalmation (full bred) in GA - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

FREE - Dalmation (full bred) in GA

AKC registered Dalmation, male, approx. 6 years old, not house-trained (has been an outside pet), great with children, gets along with other dogs, rarely barks. His nickname is Earnhart.

The current owner lives in Bethlehem, GA and is moving out-of-state this weekend. The dog must be picked up by tomorrow. I'm going to her house to get her Cocker Spaniel (currently fenced-in with the Dalmation) tomorrow afternoon, and can bring Earnhart back to my house in Alpharetta, GA, if it would help you with transportation. I'm willing to drive within a 60 mile radius of zip code 30022 to help deliver him to you.

If no one wants the Dalmation, the owner is planning to take him to a KILL shelter Saturday morning. I'm going to try to locate a Dalmation rescue to prevent that, but if you would like him as your pet, he is currently FREE to a good home. Please respond immediately if you're interested in him. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Too bad he isn't closer. My cousin is looking for another Dal. I know she wouldn't want to drive to GA!

I hope he finds a good home. There's got to be a rescue somewhere that will take him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Where does your cousin live, Scarlette? Maybe we can get some volunteers together to help get him transported closer to her. I just can't bear the thought of him being PTS. I know there's several dogs who go down every day, but since I'm rescuing Casey (the Cocker Spaniel), I feel obligated to find a good home for his playmate, Earnhardt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:52 PM

She's in northern Michigan, about 3 miles from me. I know she wouldn't be able to do the transport thing.

Rhonda

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Part of the Pack

Is there anyone closer to GA and in the middle of the two states. Maybe we can do a chain to get the doggie to Michigian. I would hate to see a good dog be killed just because the owner is moving. That is not fair to him? I am in New Jersey, way out of the way of both states.

Here are some sites I found on the web that might help you:

Http://www.1-800-Save-A-pet.com

or go to

http://www.dalsavers.org

www.southernhopedals.org this is the site for the GA dalmation rescue

"She is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are her life, her love, and her leader.
She will be faithful and true, to the last beat of her little heart.
You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Rogers Caras.

"Somedays you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant."- Unknown.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

If you guys got a transport going, I could probably help out a little...I know I wont be able to go too far though...Im in Toledo, OH...

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 03:17 PM

Whoa! I haven't asked my cousin about it yet! I'll give her a call tonight when she gets home from work.

Rhonda

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:44 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I'm in Eastpointe MI, if anything happens, i may be able to help
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I hope someone takes him.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 PM

I talked to my cousin last night and she told me that she just adopted a Dalmation/Britney spaniel mix from the shelter last week. So another dog this soon is out of the question for her. Sorry.

Rhonda

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks so much to AprilsMom for the links, and to you, JMB9101 and Juliet9521 for offering your transport assistance. I just couldn't bear the thought of the owners taking either dog to a kill shelter, so I went ahead and took both dogs yesterday evening. Whatta nightmare ... I had originally planned on giving the Cocker Spaniel to my sister as an X-mas gift, as she's been wanting one, and her Lhasa is very old, partially blind and not going to live much longer. The Cocker is ... well, let's just say that I've nicknamed him "Satan". The Dalmation, however, is an absolute sweetie. I was expecting the opposite.

The Cocker is not suitable for my sister, as he will require very extensive training, and has major behavioral problems. My aunt has decided to take him, as she's best suited and has the experience, so he's going to her house tomorrow.

The Dalmation still needs a home though. I have his AKC papers, and found that he's actually 7 years old, not neutered, not current on vaccinations, not on heartworm medication, has been on a "Wal-Mart" kibble diet, and has a rear leg scrape and left nose wound, which the owners told me was the result of both dogs escaping their dog pen 2 days ago, and the Dal got hit by a car. They said that the vet wanted $500 to stitch him up, and they couldn't afford it, so they bought the antibacterial ointment and applied it instead. I don't see how his particular wounds coincide with a "car hit" though. Regardless, you can still see a partial open wound under his left nostril if you lift up his head, but it's healing quickly, with no signs of infection. I presume that there will be a small scar there once fully healed, but shouldn't be noticeable, unless you're looking for it. The scrape on his leg ... I can't say that the hair will grow back fully, but it's a small abrasion on the lower portion, by his upper pad, so I expect that the hair will grow back. Otherwise, he appears to be extremely healthy and energetic, but docile at the same time. To me, he's like the "model" dog ... just needs house and leash training ... as well as basic command training, if you desire, and LOTS of love. He doesn't jump, haven't heard him bark not once (not even while crated), and I haven't noticed any annoying habits, but he does pull very hard on the leash, and I presume he's around 80 lbs. or lil more, so you'll need some "muscle" to handle him until he's fully trained.

It appears that he's familiar with the "sit" command, but lies down instead. As far as bathing, I put in him in my bathtub earlier (a place he's never gone before, from what I was told) ... and I believe it. If you place him in front of the tub, stand behind him, then lift his front legs into the tub, then the rear, he's fine ... but he will try to get out ... just have to stay on-guard to confine him. I'm sure he'll do much better after a few bathings, as all of my other dogs have. He had about 14 fleas on him, but I believe I've removed them all from the bath. If not, I'll give him a topical flea treatment tomorrow.

This Dal is soooo sweet and need LOTS of love, as he's been tortured by the Cocker for the past 4-5 years ... which I feel that the owners didn't even realize. He needs to be an indoor dog as an only pet and be loved, pampered and spoiled, so that he'll receive FULL attention and spend the rest of his life getting the treatment he so rightfully deserves. BTW, he doesn't demand attention ... just deserves it! Poor baby doesn't even know what true love is.

I've decided to foster the Dalmation (Earnhardt) for as long as it takes to get him a good home. In the meantime, I'll keep everyone updated on the house-breaking and other training. If anyone is interested in him, please post and ask any other questions you may have. I'll try to post some pix of him as soon as I can. AND, he's still free to a GOOD home. I'm not asking for any money. I just want him to be loved and taken care of, cuz he really deserves it.

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 12-05-2004 at 02:28 AM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 03:46 AM

Smile Bless you!!!!

You are such a good foster mommy!!!!

Have a blessed day and a peaceful holiday season.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Part of the Pack

Z Car Barbie,
I am very glad you decided to foster the Dal. I hope everything works out. I love Dalmations, but I can't have one where I live. (don't have a big yard). But, I will keep my ears open on anyone interested in a dog. Best of Luck. Post some pictures of him when you can.

"She is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are her life, her love, and her leader.
She will be faithful and true, to the last beat of her little heart.
You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Rogers Caras.

"Somedays you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant."- Unknown.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Awe, thanks, girls! Since "Satan", the Cocker, went to his new home yesterday, I've been able to let the Dal have some freedom from his crate - confined him to my kitchen with my other 2 dogs and me, while I wrapped Christmas gifts ... and mopped up pee every 10 mins. He appears to just be "marking" though. He hadn't eaten for 2 days, so I was getting a lil concerned (prior owners gave me the rest of his Wal-Mart kibble, but he wouldn't touch it by itself, nor mixed in with some of my dogs' higher-quality dry food - not even treats or rawhide chews). Just so happens, my sister left her open-can of dog food in my fridge yesterday, so last night, I mixed 1 Tlb. of it and some hot tap water with his dry kibble, and he lapped it right up ... has been eating vigorously ever since, is also eating treats now, and his stool isn't runny anymore.

I watched a couple of movies in bed last night and let him lie in bed with me and my 2 two other dogs, instead of crating him. He'd already proven to me that he won't relieve himself in his crate, so I thought I'd test him further, but I did put him on a 5-ft. leash that I attached to the handle of a very heavy piece of furniture, and pushed my 2 large crates on that side of the bed, and the leash wasn't long enough to access any other sides, so he was prevented from jumping off and onto the floor. He did so well, that I let him sleep in the bed with us. He was awesome - no pee, no poop ... and cuddled with me all night long!!! So, if you're looking for a cuddly bed buddy, then he's the one for you ... and he doesn't require a fancy, expensive dinner and dancing beforehand ... movie is optional.

I kept him in the kitchen with me most of today also while I finished wrapping gifts, and he's not marking as much, but my mop and I are still getting a good workout, as well as my back door. He's pooping and peeing when he goes outside (only pooped 1 time in my house, and that was immediately after I brought him home - no further incidents), so we're definitely making some progress!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I took some pix of Earnhardt today. Isn't he just a sweetie pie?

Hey, what's that thing you got pointed at me? Are you a whacko, or what?

Oh, wow! I'm in a big person bed! This is so comfy!

Hmmm, I think I'll just be lady-like and see if I can fool her into thinking I'm a girl. Hee-Hee!

Oh, cool! I get to pee on the deck too! Yippee!

What the heck is this green thing? It doesn't hiss like a snake.

Tags
cocker spaniel, dog bed, dog food, dry food, potty train, potty training, tap water