Frontline Plus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Question Frontline Plus

Hi, I have a 5 month old Yorkie and I have a question for the people who have really small dogs. Here around March or April we will be starting him on Frontline, I know my vet will tell me later but I'm curious now. I looked online and found out that there is Frontline Plus ( supposed to be the best) and the smallest size for that was 11 to 22 lbs. Then there is Frontline TopSpot for 1 to 11 lbs. Which one does everyone else here use on their extra small babies? My Yorkie, Cookie, was 3 lbs on Dec. 27th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The vet I talked to said that they use Frontline Plus on dogs 0-22 lbs. We used it on Gumbo at 8 lbs with no problems.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok well we have frontline plus for dogs up to 10kg (22 pounds) and it is safe to use on all dogs and puppies from 8 weeks of age! There are lots of puppies around that size that use it! If you wanted to you could probably cheat, and just put half on or something, and then keep the other half in an air tight container for one month and use the other half. I know with advantage for my rabbits (frontline can kill rabbits) I just buy it for kittens up to 4kg (9pound) and they get half each!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 PM

We've used it on 8 week old puppies with no problems...0-22lbs size
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 PM

i've always used the 0-22 for puppies with no problems
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:00 AM

My dogs range in size from 5 pounds to 13 pounds and our vet recommended the Frontline Plus For Cats for all our dogs and cats. I believe he said the strength was the same for all Frontline Plus, but the difference is in the amount of liquid each size has per application. You can buy it over the counter, but I would definitely ask your own vet what he/she recommends first.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

the difference is actually one of the ingredients. Can't remember the name of it right now but the cat one has a higher dose. It's okay (from what my vet has said) to give the cat one to dogs, but the dog one on cats isn't as effective. But you can get a spray that is good for both dogs and cats, that can be used on all sizes...the bigger the dog the more sprays they get!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:25 PM

I just wanted to mention, we actually stopped using frontline at the ASPCA because alot of bad things have been coming out about it. Mainly if you screw up on the dosage even the tiniest bit it could make you r dog severely ill or kill it. There have also been studies that say it may case liver damage. I wish I had a link or something to back that up, I'll look but I'm not sure where to find it. We now use Biospot works great and it's way cheaper and safe.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Really?? I've never heard about bad things with Frontline Plus...we've used it for over 4 years with no problems.
Tried Biospot before...didn't do a darn bit of good at all
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I work in an ER and we see a lot of BioSpot and Hartz (and other similar OTC products) toxicity. These can include tremors, even seizures. I've never heard of a frontline problem unless given in very large doses in laboratory trials (much like any medication ...). Information I found stated this: "Overdose is rare and no adverse effects have been reported even up to 5 times the dose."

Stephanie

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:06 AM

Hmmm...could be I'm wrong but that's what people said. I've never heard any bad things about Biospot either. I know Hartz is bad tho'
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:06 AM

I've heard negative things about Revolution, but nothing bad at all about Frontline Plus.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:53 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I've never heard anything bad about frontline plus. Heck my last dog even got into one and swallowed the contents of it (he spat the pipette back out) and I raced him to the vets. He salivated for about 2 minutes on the way there and that was the only complication he had. The company said it wasn't going to be a problem, and that as long as he didn't vomit within 48 hours he'd be fine...he was fine..I don't recommend it of course but hey I set it down to grab him and the little bugger just picked it up and took off with it. I already had it opened and so it just squirted straight in his mouth It will kill rabbits though, but they state that on the box in big bold letters!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your help!!!! When do you usually start the first dose of the year, or do some of you give all year round? The vet told me around April but I was thinking that I wanted to do it in March. This is my first pet in the house and I am freaked about getting those "bugs" in my house. Thanks guys!!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:54 PM

I use Frontline Plus year round...animals can get fleas anytime (believe me, I work at a vet's office and the amount of flea dirt left in some cages makes you want to )