Frustrated, with a couple of things. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Frustrated, with a couple of things.

First off my problem is with our Saint Bernard Missy. I really didn't think there were any real big behavior problems with any of our dogs until recently. I'm starting to get really frustrated and it is making it hard for me to work with her right now. The thing that I want to address first is, she is good with cats, loves them...but she loves them a bit to much. She will literally pick the kittens up and throw them around like they are play things. With a firm no she'll stop but then she'll go back at it and even carry them around the house if she's given the chance. I don't want her to hurt the cats but I don't know how to get her to stop. Our older female got fed up earlier today and scratched her nose pretty good but that isn't stopping her either. a little while ago she even tried to take one of the kittens right from my lap...

Second, I don't expect training her to be easy or for it to happen fast. She is still a pup (6 months old) but she is a huge dog and takes a lot of work..she's got a lot of power behind her. I started walking her at 5 months when she would finally walk outside of the yard but the problem is she will pull me so hard that the leash rubs my hands raw. I've tried different types of leashes, different collars, a harness....different training methods. Nothing seems to be helping and I don't know what to do...HELP PLEASE....this is driving me nuts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Mel

I've a 9 mos old Great Dane, and have similar problems with her. She has no idea how big she is, and can literally drag me down the street! The only thing that has worked with her is a prong collar. She's very stubborn, and I can't get her attn at all without the prong. I hate to use it, but even it hardly phases her.

BTW - I've got a St. Bernard size Gentle Leader I can't use. If you'd like it, and can pay for postage, I'll send it to you. The GL was great for a while, but it only helps with pulling, not any other corrections.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Make her stop with the kitten thing! my dog (a lab mix) used to do that and he murdered several kittens and 2 cats by doing that, he loves them he sleeps with them he protects them he watches over them and he tried to play with them. We got him to stop by compleatly freaking out when he killed 3 kittens, please dont let this happen to you, it was horrible. he also got into fights with our other dog trying to protect some 3 day old kittens i had. he has finally stopped this hes 3 now.

maybe you could give her a back pack to carry with water or something in it. and make her sit down everytime she pulls. youll look silly for a while but it works.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
Make her stop with the kitten thing! my dog (a lab mix) used to do that and he murdered several kittens and 2 cats by doing that, he loves them he sleeps with them he protects them he watches over them and he tried to play with them. We got him to stop by compleatly freaking out when he killed 3 kittens, please dont let this happen to you, it was horrible. he also got into fights with our other dog trying to protect some 3 day old kittens i had. he has finally stopped this hes 3 now.

maybe you could give her a back pack to carry with water or something in it. and make her sit down everytime she pulls. youll look silly for a while but it works.
I raise my voice and tell her no when she does it but I can't think of anything else to do. I don't want to completely freak out though because she gets hyper and worse if someone is freaking out...especially if there's a lot of loud noise.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 AM

A think a good idea would be to enroll in some obedience classes. They are a lot of fun and will help get control over your dog.

The gental leader is a great tool for walking on the leash. You can buy them at most petstores or you can take Mel up on her offer.

When you take away the kitten or tell her to stop, do you redirect the behavior? She needs to know what is okay for her to play with, so when you get the kitten from her or whatever you do, give her a toy or chewie that you DO want her to play with. Yelling is not a good idea because she will start ignoring the word "no".

For training you could use the NILIF method. Read over this link, it explains what NILIF is.
Nothing in Life is Free- No More Homeless Pets

Last edited by Ambieruns10; 02-27-2007 at 08:27 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
A think a good idea would be to enroll in some obedience classes. They are a lot of fun and will help get control over your dog.

The gental leader is a great tool for walking on the leash. You can buy them at most petstores or you can take Mel up on her offer.

When you take away the kitten or tell her to stop, do you redirect the behavior? She needs to know what is okay for her to play with, so when you get the kitten from her or whatever you do, give her a toy or chewie that you DO want her to play with. Yelling is not a good idea because she will start ignoring the word "no".

For training you could use the NILIF method. Read over this link, it explains what NILIF is.
Nothing in Life is Free- No More Homeless Pets
I don't yell I just give her a firm no and I do give her her toys. As for obedience classes we are having money problems right now and the only dog training school here that I know of is 100 a month for the classes. I can't afford that at the moment.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 AM

Well, even just a firm no. Im just saying that she will ignore the word.

Try the NILIF training method. You will see a big difference in how she listens and responds to you.

As for the walking, when you are doing some actual training on lead, its best to do after she has exerted some of that energy. She will be more focused on you.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

She doesn't ignore it, she always listens when I tell her no but then a little while later she goes to doing it again.

I will definitely try the nilif method and I have been talking to Mel about getting the halti as well. I usually work with her on the leash after we've played some but sometimes I wonder if she has unlimited energy It seems like even after playing and even if we play for a while she's still really hyper.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Have you checked into any kennel clubs or anything like that? I know I just found one in our area and they offer obedience for a flat rate of $40 and it is an 8 week class. We have a leash for Reggie that is a lead and a leash. We also use the prong coller for him and it has worked wonders with him. The rescue that I got him from had no problems with me using it on him.

I use a basket for all of Reggies toys so that way he knows exactly what is his and what he may chew on. Not to say that he doesn't ever go after what isn't his, but we have learned what not to leave on the floor--like stuffed animals.

The only other thing I can offer is to stay consistant and she will eventually learn. I can only imagine a dog that big. Reggie is only 60lbs and he is hard enough!!

Good luck and remember we are always here for you to vent to or to ask advice from.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Another place to try is your local shelter or rescue groups. Sometimes there are people who are just starting out dog training and will help out for very cheap or even free. Even if its just a one hour private session. Right now I volunteer training dogs at my shelter and I would always help out someone in need. For practice and for a reference.

I would not suggest using a prong collar, but that is just not my way of training. I don't believe you need physical correction to get a dog to do what you want. To me positive reinforcement is the best way to go. If you do decide to use a prong collar though, have someone teach you the proper way and remember to only keep it on while training. You would not believe what I have seen some people do to their dogs using a choke chain or prong collar.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I've looked around everywhere. Right now I need something close to home or I would go the extra mile to do classes in Indiana but as I said with our situation right now I can't really do that. I've tried check chains and prong collars already and they don't affect her at all, in fact I'm afraid she'll hurt herself on them. I've been raising dogs since I was young and have NEVER had such trouble leash training before.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM

Tucker is the same way with cats. Hence why Sebastian (stray we found and I was trying to adopt out) had to live in the dog kennel. I admit, I never bothered to train Tucker not to chase Sebastian because we had no intention of keeping the cat. Just wanted you to know that you weren't alone in haivng a dog that likes cats too much.

As for pulling on the leash, would you believe that Ein is the one that we have problems with? Yes, the littlest baby. All 30 pounds of him. That boy is more stubborn than any other creature I've ever met. We tried everything with him. He hated hated hated the halti, and flopped around like a fish out of water. But I made him wear it anyways. And he stopped pulling, but only because he was too busy sulking. Then I lost the halti. While on vacation in Gatlinburg, we went to Walmart to try and find something to keep him from pulling because when he had a "choke chain" on, it sounded like we were choking the poor boy to death (which we weren't, but strangers didn't know that). At Walmart, I found something like a halti, but that puts pressure on the chest/underarm area to prevent pulling. It works really well for Ein.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have 2 huge dogs, one 120lbs, and one 80lbs. and they both pull on their leashes like sled dogs, my 120lb dog has actually dislocated my shoulder when he saw a bunny.

I invested a the Premier Easy Walk harnesses and they are a god send. Visit a Petsmart, ask to try one on your dog and walk around the store for a little bit. See if it works for you, it was heaven in a box for me!

Easy Walk Harness

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
I have 2 huge dogs, one 120lbs, and one 80lbs. and they both pull on their leashes like sled dogs, my 120lb dog has actually dislocated my shoulder when he saw a bunny.

I invested a the Premier Easy Walk harnesses and they are a god send. Visit a Petsmart, ask to try one on your dog and walk around the store for a little bit. See if it works for you, it was heaven in a box for me!

Easy Walk Harness

Maybe I will try one of those for Reggie-I don't like to have to use the prong it just came down to either using it or not being able to walk him ( I have to push a stroller at the same time alot of times during the summer) I just never thought those looked very effective but if they work for a 120lb dog then they should work for Reggie. thanks

Tags
dog training, kennel club, lab mix, local shelter, stuffed animal, stuffed animals