Garbage eater - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Garbage eater

My 6 year old standard poodle Kitty has picked up the bad habbit of eatting/ getting in to the trash. She never did this until she spent a couple days with my mom's dog Pepper who is a resuce and garbage eatting issues. So I'm pretty sure she learned it from him.

Its gotten to the point where we've replaced all the garbage cans in the house with ones that have lids. She's now figured out how to open the can in the kitchen an eat anything thats in the garbage whether its food or not. She knows she been bad and she shouldn't do it cause after she does it she will not go into the room unless you force her to.

I've tried crating her but then she does it while where home watching tv or seeping. I don't want to crate her at night and all day to cause then she's only out for 1hour in the morning, 30mins on my lunch hour and 7 or 8 hours at night. I don't think it would be fare to her to crate her that much.

I don't know what to do. Does any one have any ideas on how to stop this behavior??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Wish I had some suggestions .... in the end all that worked with my trash hound was keeping the trash away from him. We have an enclosed back porch/laundry room and we have to keep the trash can back there. Dutchy's 10 years old now - and if he could get to it - he'd tear it up on a regular basis - edible or not. And with great joy - he seems to really enjoy himself - until he gets caught.

Blackie's mother (cocker spaniel) would hit the side of the trash can with her front feet until the lid popped up and off. Her owner had to drag the trash can outside every day when she left for work.

IMO, short of using negative reinforcement or doing something cruel (knew a guy who put rat traps in the trash because of his GSD getting into it), you're not going to stop a "trash hound". In a way, it's an instinctive behavior. So my only suggestion is, keep the trash where the doggie can't get to it.

Good luck !!

Sharon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
So my only suggestion is, keep the trash where the doggie can't get to it.

Good luck !!

We have to keep ours in the gated off hallway between the kitchen and the basement. It's so much easier than constantly yelling at them and/or picking up the chewed up pieces of garbage.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

our garage is right off the kitchen so we keep ours in there...other than that we did the locking lid garbage cans (but they were to much for us to use all the time lol)

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Wish I had some suggestions .... in the end all that worked with my trash hound was keeping the trash away from him. We have an enclosed back porch/laundry room and we have to keep the trash can back there. Dutchy's 10 years old now - and if he could get to it - he'd tear it up on a regular basis - edible or not. And with great joy - he seems to really enjoy himself - until he gets caught.

Blackie's mother (cocker spaniel) would hit the side of the trash can with her front feet until the lid popped up and off. Her owner had to drag the trash can outside every day when she left for work.

IMO, short of using negative reinforcement or doing something cruel (knew a guy who put rat traps in the trash because of his GSD getting into it), you're not going to stop a "trash hound". In a way, it's an instinctive behavior. So my only suggestion is, keep the trash where the doggie can't get to it.

Good luck !!
she didn't used to be a trash hound this is a new thing.

I live in a very small house 2 small bedrooms, 1 bathroom and a kitchen/living room. So I don't have any where else to put the cans.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i dunno if your very handy, or know someone that is, but you could possible buy/build one of pull out trash bins under the counter ?
in case you dont know what im talking about

i dont know if that would be an option in your kitchen, i know in our kitchen any cupbord space is already being used, but you could possibly build a little box or something where your trashbin exists now and put a little pull out drawer like that in it.. thats what my aunt had to do.. maybe just a wooden trash bin of some sort might stop her, or a taller trash can? i think once a dog learns how much fun getting into the trash is, it can be really hard to break them of it.

My Furry Family
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah - my parents dog gets into the trash as well and they had to start keeping the trash can in the cupbord under the kitchen sink, with a child lock on the door because the dog learned how to open the door to get to the trash.

I don't know if you could do anything like that?

I've seen some dog training show on animal planet where they tried to train dogs that get into the trash. I think the show was called 'It's me or the dog" or something like that. On one episode they attached a thing of canned air to the trash can somehow so every time the dog tried to open the lid on the trash can it blew air into the dogs face. But I don't think that worked very well? Then in another episode they put some kind of pressure mat next to the trash so everytime the dog stepped on the mat it would make a strange noise. But I'm really not sure if any of those worked, and it sounds like a lot more work then just moving the can to somewhere where your dog can't get to it.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wile i was growing up, our rotty, roxanne, was a big garbage crasher. we just got one with a lid she couldn't get open

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is there a way you could just stop the dog from going into the kitchen? We have a baby gate so the dogs can't get in there.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
animal planet, cocker spaniel, dog training