Gentle Leader... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Gentle Leader...

Holy Crap! It makes a difference!.. Has anyone else used this for their dogs?? I bought it for Natalya and have walked her with it, it made such a difference.. granted she hates it, but she walked so much better... i've seen people with it before and i never agreed with it, thought people should learn how to walk their dogs, but sometimes dogs wont learn...Tatyana is awesome on a leash and hopefully natalya will become that way.. with all the fat on her neck, i bet she cant even feel her chain, but this she definetly knew was there... anyone else have a success story with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I use one on my dog. It's awesome! She now walks with a loose lead (unless there is a dog then she pulls to say hello to it) and she is totally comfortable wearing it too. They are much nicer than a choker chain. My dog was three years old when I got her. She was an unreal puller so eventually I gave up and put the gentle leader on her, something I didn't want to do, but she was taking too long to learn to walk with a loose lead with her collar and I didn't like the fact that she constantly pulled on her neck.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:38 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I use the Halti, but I think its the same thing... And yeah, Dakota just don't care how much I train her what HEEL means, she just doesn't care. Especially when she gets excited or Ben walks off in front of us... She gets to pulling SO hard and I can't hardly hold her unless she has on her Halti...

I agree. Its a wonderful dog training tool and it works WONDERS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i JUST bought one for each of my small dogs and it totally helps!! chaquita is making progress more quickly cause penny is so into being an alpha dog and in charge. but i saw a difference in the first few minutes in petsmart. i can't wait to try it in public!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:25 PM

I use one on my 97 lb. Dobie. He is unbelievably strong and does not know his own strength. In situations that I MUST have him under control, he wears one. Unfortunately some people think it is a muzzle.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Brenda I know what you mean. When we were trying on Kota's at the store, we walked around with her wearing it awhile to see if it was really any good and if it would work with her... She was so much calmer and we even had her in a down-stay while there was a crowd of people passing by... All of which were ooh and ahhing over the pretty doggie. Except one woman who inches towards her and says, "Oh how mean. I can't believe something as precious as you is being forced to wear a muzzle."
I wanted to hit that woman.
*rolls eyes*

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

i just took natalya on her second walk with it... so much better than the first one.... not as much pawing at her face (not until we got to the porch though)...it even kept her a little calmer than usual when we ran into another dog... the guys little boy asked me if it was a muzzle.. i tol him, its a different kind of collar for dogs who wont stop pullking on thieir leash and he seemed to understand that.... i honestly at first thought the same thing about it but now that i see she can bark and open her mouth and everything just as normal and doesnt seem to mind it (much), i think its perfect!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

yep I'm sure some people think they are a muzzle but I don't get how cause biscuit walks around with her tongue wagging and lips flapping...like seriously, how is that going to stop her from biting? I've seen more and more people investing in the halti's/halters/gentle leaders (all work the same) so I think that eventually the whole muzzle thing won't be thought anymore...however Biscuit doesn't like other dogs too much when she is on lead (proctective) so I will pull it up and it keeps her mouth closed. she's never ever even tried to bite but she can't anyway cause it does work like an instant muzzle if need be.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I also have a halti, but I really don't use it anymore. I bought it when I was trying to teach him how to walk, but I ended up using a harness. 2 of mine have harnesses and the other 2 just use collars.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

harnesses work for some dogs but other dogs like to have that feel of pulling against their chest and it makes them pull more (think huskies etc.). My mum's dog, Cindy, doesn't even have a leash when she walks! She just heels without a leash, even if there is a dog or cat, she doesn't go after them. I wanted to train Biscuit to walk like that but she's not so good at it!! she'll walk perfectly with her collar with no distractions but getting past all those dogs behind fences on a walk is just too tempting for her. she wants to go say hello (she only doesn't like dogs that are out in the street, being walked by their owner...dogs behind fences aren't a threat)

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:32 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
She just heels without a leash, even if there is a dog or cat, she doesn't go after them. I wanted to train Biscuit to walk like that but she's not so good at it!!
OMG! I wish that Dakota would do that! LOL

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My White GSD can walk perfect without a leash, but I don't want people to be afraid. I usually only did that early morning or late at night. I'd really like to get my newest that way too. I don't think I could ever trust my Jack Russells that way.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

mal I know! It's awesome! I think it's the kelpie in her...they always come back to their herd. Even though she has beagle in her too she's never been one to follow her nose to the point of no return, that kelpie has always kicked in and bought her back. My p's lived near bush and we'd let her run down the bush on her own..she'd always come back and sit at the front door after 5 minutes or so. She really is one heck of a dog!!!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:58 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

((Posting the sign after writing this: )) Brittney, I know what you mean. I used to have White GSD/Yellow Lab mix named Bean and she was really good and sticking with me in the front yard and such... But there'd always be those people who'd go down the sidewalk who'd freak out and cross the road...

Bean loved to go to the park and play with the children at the playground... She'd even follow them up to the slide and watch them go down. She never pushed or shoved them over trying to get by and she loved it when they'd put their little hands all over her. But there was of course the one father there who disliked dogs or something and told me he didn't trust her and told me I need to go before he calls the dog warden. (Since she wasn't on a leash.) So I listened to him as the adult (I was only 14 or 15) and put Bean on her leash and we went home. Bean had the body language that made me think she thought she did something wrong... I felt so bad and angry at that man for judging Bean and me.

Now with Dakota, (a pure bred GSD) she isn't mature enough and hasn't nearly calmed down to be trusted off leash with small children. One day, hopefully. But I still get the occasional person who crosses the road when we're on our walks. Or the father who is taking his daughter for a stroll on the path at the park who steps WAY into the grass when he see's us coming. And what REALLY sad is that the daughter asks, "Daddy can I pet the doggie?" and he says no because, "Its a mean breed."

Again, those uninformed or prejudiced people just get to me... Oh wait I think I've gone WAAAAY Off Topic.

Okay--

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Seeker of Orbs

as for the "uninformed" folks you mentioned above....i know! they really make me mad....one time i had my dog in the front yard with me and some guy and his little girl walks by doing the daddy can i pet it rutine...and he goes No. that's a MEAAN dog. and PULLED her away. OH MY GOSH. nevermind willie's whole behind (not JUST his tail) was wagging and he was showing other obvious signs of friendlyness....i think i said something to the affect of What an idiot! after they walked by but the guy whipped around and glared at me. LOL i don't care if he heard me.. insult MY dog, huh?!

and yep! i used a gentle leader on both our Brittany spaniels cuz they pulled SOOOOO much. worked like crazy! well, that and string cheese, but that's another post.

and yeeeeeesssss i've had those wonderful people go "oh how horrible! having them in a muzzle!!" and what have you. one person did that and i go "no, he can still get his teeth around your arm!" and put my arm in his mouth. LOL they just shook their heads and walked off...... we were better off.

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny

Tags
dog training, jack russell, lab mix, pet shop, pure bred, yellow lab, yellow lab mix