Giving Charlie Pills - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Giving Charlie Pills

Hi everyone,
I am having some difficulty giving Charlie her pills.

She is getting 2 pills each day for paracites (preventatively). She is almost done but there are at least 3-5 days left.

She fights me when I try to give them to her. I had originally been 'hiding' them in her soft food and she swallowed them without noticed. However today she's on to me. She eats the food and spits out the pill or eats the food and spits out the bit the pill is in.

After she did that I fought with her until the pill almost dissolved at which point I barely forced her to take it. I am wondering how I should get her to take it? When I take her and hold her she wriggles and wraggles so I can't get it in her mouth...Is there some method of making her take it so she can't wriggle away that I don't know about?

Any help is welcomed.
Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmmm the canned food idea didn't work? She figured it out! What about something else.. How about trying a little piece of meat or cheese, or maybe some peanut butter? Just a little bit. My vet said to try that if the doggies knew the pill was there.
Also, I heard that sometimes if you put it near the back of their tongue and massage their throat, they might swallow, too.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:59 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

The best way I have found to "pill" a dog is quite simple...

Since she is a puppy and you are much bigger than she is I think you can do this without causing her distress.

Gently pry her mouth open with your fingers and life her head so her nose is pointing up - drop the pill into the back of her mouth. Release your hands quickly and she will close her mouth - massage her neck and she will swallow. Blowing gently across her nose causes them to swallow too - *** you gently stroke her neck.

Offer her a drink of cold water (they usually enjoy cold water for some reason) and she might take a few laps - that will help propell the pill down the esophogus.

Cheese, a teenie bit of hot dog, teenie bit of chicken - something really tasty is usually good to embed a small pill in - and if the bit of food is small enough they can swallow it without chewing the pill.

Good Luck - let us know how it worked

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Something you could try too, is giving treats after she gets her pill...Harlie and Max both sit for pills now like the actual pill is a treat, because they know they will get one as soon as the bad parts over.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:32 PM

I use the same method as Deja. I open the mouth, put the pill in as far back as I can, then hold the mouth closed and blow gently in the nose. This method is painless and quick. Good luck.

Alternatively, you could try a pill shooter (available from vets). You basically shoot the pill down the throat. I've never tried one...I'm not sure how well they work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Pills

The cheese seemed to work. As far as prying her mouth, she is so tiny that she just fights me and although I could overpower her I am afraid to hurt her.

Anyway, the cheese worked perfectly.
Thanks again everyone!
Brian

Last edited by purpzey; 06-22-2004 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Purpzey, she can't be tinier than my 3 pound yorkie
I know it's scary and no one wants to inflict pain on their puppies or dogs, but doing it a few times, you'll find the correct amount of pressure to apply to get the mouth open - they usually understand what you are trying to do (open their mouths) and give you a little help, even if they aren't happy about it.

One thing you (and everyone) should get their puppies used to right from the start is having their mouth examined. You can use a simple word of your choice (I use "teeth" ) every time you lift her lips and run your finger around her mouth. It's a great thing for her to get used to - it will decrease stress during Vet exams, help you maintain good oral care and make it easy for you to remove anything from her mouth at any time.
Puppies find all kinds of things to chew on that are potentially dangerous - knowing that you can go into her mouth to remove anything she has is a great helpful tool

[center]

[
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again Linda,
Very helpful as usual.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Ehm...I accidently posted that twice. So, I'm going to fill this with garbage.

Tags
canned food