Glaucoma in dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Glaucoma in dogs

Does anyone have any experience with glaucoma in dogs? My parents cocker spaniel, Naomi, just got diagnosed with it yesterday. She's on medication now, but that's more to try to delay her getting it in her other eye then it is to help the one she already has it in. The vet said that if she can see anything at all with the affected eye, it's shadows at most. She has to go to another vet so they can talk about surgery options on the eye. I feel bad for poor Naomi, she's already deaf, and now she's going blind too. She doesn't seem to be in any pain though and is still acting normally. If anyone has any experience with this and doesn't mind telling their story, I'd love to hear it. Maybe we can get a better idea whats in store for us, since this all came on kind of suddenly. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Kens parents dog Peepers has it in both eyes and is completely blind (shes deaf as well) and with her it was pretty fast from the time diagnosed to complet blindness...she is still a happy old lady, she smells her way around the house and they make sure nothing gets moved so she has it all memorized...shes really old right now but it doesn't appear to slow her down, shes been blind for almost 3 years now...when it first happend she got lost alot...so we would walk her everywhere and get her used to the house...and now she has it memorized, nothing ever gets changed and they aren't allowed to leave shoes or anything laying around so she doesn't trip...

good luck and I hope all goes slowly for your family dog...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for replying

Well I learned one important thing about blind dogs today...don't offer them food out of your hand! I always use to give Naomi little treats by hand and never had any problems doing so. So this morning I didn't think twice about it, and went to hand her a piece of food. But I guess because she can't see well anymore, she couldn't tell where my hand was and bit me. It wasn't really bad and she let go right away when she relized that it wasn't the food she was biting. I guess all this will take some getting use to, for her and us both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

yeah with Peepers we set the food down, we all choose one spot that would be "the treat spot" so she knows for a treat to go there...it is a big adjustment and it will take alot of patients...the first time she hits the wall is going to break your heart, with Peepers it still gets to me...we padded the table legs and such but she still has moments where she will hit the refrigerator or the doors...

sending her healing vibes and keeping you both in my thoughts

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It really is heartbreaking. She hasen't walked into anything yet, but she use to do this trick where if you threw a treat to her, she would always catch it in her mouth, and she loved to catch balls... but now she can't catch things anymore.

Did Peepers have any surgerys for her eyes? We haven't schduled anything for Naomi yet. Her eye doctor (sorry, forgot what they are called) said that they can't do surgery to restore her eyesight, but if we want to, when she goes completly blind - I guess theres some kind of cosmetic surgery where they replace the eye (or part of it?) with a fake one so that her eyes won't look as bad. I guess they do that same surgery if the eyes are causing pain. The way we see it right now, we can see doing the surgery if she's in pain, which she doesn't seem to be right now, but not for cosmetic reasons only. We don't want to put her through surgery just for cosmetic reasons.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

due to her age and other medical problems they decided not to do any surgery, there was no pain so they just left it...her eyes no longer look like regular eyes...but its all good, shes still adorable, loving and simply Peepers...

She got her name because she loved to watch things...everything...so now that she can't, and can't hear she sniffs her way around...at first everything broke our hearts, now we see it happening and try to divert all problems, but its sad that she can no longer go camping with us, she can't fetch anymore...she can't play with any other animals...its a different lifestyle

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
cocker spaniel, family dog