God, I Really didnt wanna do this... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

God, I Really didnt wanna do this...

Well, i previously posted about my husky natalya... the one who eats everything (and i mean EVERYTHING!)... she still does it, not as bad tho... i recently have been in contact with her breeder ... she told me she thinks Natalya has seperation anxiety so she wants to destroy stuff so i stay home with her.... i wouldnt be surprised if this were true, because when i went to look at the litter of puppies, i didnt end up getting the one i wanted (someone got the deposit down on her first) so i picked Natalya... she wasnt part of the litter, but she was locked in a kennel type thing, behind the garage with another husky, sasha... she was 4 1/2 months old when i got her... had to re-housebreak her, teach her house manners.. she had fly bites on her ears (which healed up beautifully a couple weeks after having her).. i honestly dont think this dog had been in the house much... well, needless to say, its been tough with her, and i think the first few months of her life had A LOT to do with it.. the breeder is nice and you can tell she cares about her dogs, but i just went to her website a couple days ago and she has already bred sasha (who is only 1 1/2 years old).... well, anyway, we're borrowing a crate from my boyfriends sisters boyfriend who used to use it for his american bulldog (so its GIGANTIC).. he doesnt need it anymore... my question is, how the f*** do i get the dog in there? she'll go near it, but not in... the only time she went in was when i got in there (so its big enough to fit me , and 2 huskies ... 50lbs and 35lbs ).,.. tatyana will just walk right in and wags her tail but natalya is very, very scared of it.... i know not to use it as a punishment tool and i praised her earlier when i let her out (but i had to put her in it)...any suggestions? keep in mind i have NEVER EVER wanted to do this, because i dont think its very nice because the most i've ever done is put them in the kitchen with a baby gate when im not home.. but doesnt do the trick all the time... she has her blanket in it and a couple toys.. shes only going to be in it when we're at work... never when we're at home and not at night.. she has her own bed that she sleeps on... but she already does not like the crate... im sure it has to do with being locked up behind that garage for so long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Try coaxing her in with a treat or a toy. If you can get her in a few minutes at a time each time. Sit near the crate and talk to her. Soothe her and let her know its ok.

It's gonna be a long hard process most likely, but patience is key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

i've tried the toy.. she doesnt love her toys enough to get them... i swear, she sent tatyana in there after it so she didnt have to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sometimes crating up the dog when you're gone is the ONLY way to give yourself peace of mind and save your house.

I know, because I had to start crating my dog, Seamus.

Seamus was terrified of his crate, too, when we first bought it (and he doesn't even have the history that your baby has). I got him used to it by always giving him his meals in his crate and whenever he got a treat, he had to eat it in his crate. The first week and a half or so I found he wouldn't willingly go in his crate AT ALL--even if there was food waiting inside it. So, I had to give him a light push inside it.

But, after two weeks, he's come to like the crate because he associates it with food and treats and new toys--always a good thing in his book.

So, while she may not go in for a toy, chances are she might be more willing if there's a tasty slice of hot dog weiner or cheese waiting on the other end for her.

A good way to use this method is to leave a trail of small goodies into the crate. Lock Tatyana somewhere out of sight when you do this--you don't want HER getting the treats instead. Then, just sit back and let Natalya eat the treats at her own pace. Chances are, she'll get greedy after eating the treats outside of the crate and will want more, thus giving her motivation to go inside the crate.

It takes patience. Just give it some time.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Rowan gave some great advice! when you start out don't put her in there to crate her as such. Think of it as a training tool, when you are at home. So treat her next to the crate...then put a treat as close to the crate as possible for her ot be comfortable to get it. Praise her for it! Kepp putting the treats closer and closer, and praising her for each one she picks up until you can get her to take one from the entrance to the crate (so if she stretches her tongue far enough she can get it without having to go in it). Don't push her too hard, if she seems hesitant with one of the treats, once she has taken it (or move it back if she won't take it, so she can get it) and end the session. If you push too hard too soon you might end up with a dog that goes nuts in the crate (I had a dog with seperation anxiety plus other problems..I was warned if I forced him into a pen, so that he couldn't attack any innocent passer by, he would likely rip his nails out trying to get out). Do that a few times a day...it only has to be five minute sessions. When you get her to the stage where she'll walk into the crate fully (could take you a couple of weeks so have patience) by herself (you can encourage her and go in with her at the start, just so she'll get the treat, but then get straight back out) you can start by sitting at the door so she can't get out (without closing the door). Just a second at first and build her up to five and ten minutes. Praise her the whole time...you want her to be totally happy and comfortable in there. Then when she's happy doing that you can start closing the door on her, for a second at first again.
Be careful to not have her associate the crate with you leaving. If she does have seperation anxiety she'll still associate it with something bad. so once she's happy to be in there be sure to mix it up. Make her go in when you are at home as well as when you are going out. When you are going out give her a stuffed kong or something that she can occupy herself with for an hour or two while you are gone.
My current dog came from a shelter..she'd been at the pound and had been locked in a cage. Only for a couple of weeks but she is crate trained and did have a bit of seperation anxiety. When I'd get home she'd scream so I'd wait until she had stopped and calmed down before letting her out. I never made a big deal of me coming home, she was crated in the bathroom and the door was shut. I wouldn't even say hello to her when I got home, until she calmed down. After a month she was an angel when I got home. Now if she is in her crate she never complains, she loves being in there.
Anyway good luck!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:31 AM

The kong stuffed with food is a great idea--one I'm soon going to try as well.

It's good to leave their favourite toys and a treat or two in the crate with them when you leave. I usually give Seamus a denta-stick and his rope pull when I leave. Sami swears Seamus won't like the Kong, but he always swore they wouldn't like several other toys that I insisted on getting which the dogs turned out to love. He's just a man, so what does he know?

As for things to put into the Kong, I heard peanut butter was a great option. Anyone have any other suggetions as to what to stuff into a Kong?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Great advice ya'll. It can be a long process but IMO well worth the time and effort.

I've only put peanut butter in our kongs, I would be interested in any other ideas as well.

~ Jodi ~

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kong Recipes
If you have a big one and are happy to feed your dog bones you can stuff a chicken wing up there and pack whatever you want around the sides. It takes them a good while to get the wing out.

If anybody does occassionally feed their dog canned food (we do this with biscuit's vegie miixture but I know not many of you feed barf) you can stuff it with the canned food, plug both ends with peanut butter, sit it up right in a plastic container and freeze it. It's a great way to feed your dog in summer.

You can stick their dry kibble up there too. If you want to get more creative, plug the small end with peanut butter (I always plug the small end with peanut butter) fill the kong with dry kibble, squirt honey all through it, microwave it (upright in a container or you'll have a huge mess) for 30 seconds and then put it in the fridge to set for 1-2 hours. Your dog spends a lot more time trying to deal with the stickyness.

You can stuff whatever fits basically. Remember dogs in the wild spend 85% of their day hunting for food. If you have a problem dog get three or four and solely feed them from kongs. It's a great way to amuse their minds so they aren't ripping up your clothes, furniture etc.

Rowan, I have never met a dog that doesn't like a stuffed kong...Biscuit doesn't play with toys but a stuffed kong she goes nuts for...really though what dog doesn't like food?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Rowan, I have never met a dog that doesn't like a stuffed kong...Biscuit doesn't play with toys but a stuffed kong she goes nuts for...really though what dog doesn't like food?
Exactly! And my husband's dog LOVES food. He would do ANYTHING for a treat. So I'm 99.9% sure a stuffed Kong would be right up his alley.

Actually, I bet Sami doesn't want to get one because he never thought you could put food INTO the Kong. Maybe after he learns about that, he might be more accepting.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

probably! they look like a boring, expensive toy if you don't know that! The only thing I suggest to people that stuff them the first time for their dog, do it with something they love and something they have relative ease getting out, just so they get the hang of it first!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Well getting her into the crate is pretty easy now... but i came home from work to find my genius boyfriend had put a bowl of water in there with her so shes soaked... he said he did that because when he came home from school, she was panting like crazy and the crate was pretty wet.. why would that be? that she would pant so heavily?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Some dogs pant and/or drool when they're anxious. Would it have been a little too warm in there for her at all?

Stephanie

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

no, same temp as it always has been...a little cooler actually now that the heat gets turned off
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 05:13 AM

She could be panting from nervousness. But, if you REALLY want her to have some water because you think it is because she is thirsty, try purchasing a LARGE water bottle for dogs (they look like large versions of the ones you give to hamsters).

Many people use the water bottles when transporting their dogs on airlines and the dog has to ride as cargo. It will provide her with water and help minimize the mess.

Also, GREAT news to hear she's getting more warmed up about her crate!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
canned food, crate trained