Going potty in the house(advice) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Going potty in the house(advice)

Hello, im new here. im so glad i found this forum..... Okay i have a problem,, i have a 4 year old rottweiler,( who is extrememly cute) we love him to death he is very good and housebroken, BUT recently he has decided it would be fun to pee on the floor... i just dont understand this, he never did this before. and he keeps doing it in the same spot even after he gets a big NO! Im starting to think the he is being spiteful to be and my fiance. this morning i let him out in the back yard at 7am, and i left the house at 7:30 my fiance called me at work to inform me that our adorable rottie peed by the piano and like 8am........ i dont get it! he definately did not have to go, he gets very frequent walks, and he gets more attention than any dog I've known... Should i be worried, or is he just doing thing to annoy us. its so bad its starting to get funny

sorry my first post is so long i just dont know what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi and to PT! So glad you found us I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem with your rottie peeing in the house. I know how frustrating that can be. Well, I'm assuming he is fixed? Has anything else changed in the household for him to be upset? (ie: moving, new animal, etc) Is it always in the same EXACT spot? Hmmm..what are you using to clean it up? B/c dogs like to smell the same *spot* where they peed and they think "ok this is where to go" if the smell isn't all the way gone. Have you ever tried Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution? Those work great to get the smells out, so the dog won't smell it and go back. Have you talked to your vet about it? It sounds like it could possibly be behavior related, since he is not a puppy and 4 years old.. OR.. a possible urinary tract infection?? Since you took him out at 7 am and he had gone pee again by 8. This might be something to think about as well.. Keep an eye when he's peeing, for any straining, etc.
I hope I could help some and I hope your little guy gets better with this peeing problem. We would all love to see pics!!!!! Again, welcome to PT!!!!!!!!!!!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

HELLO and thanks so much for responding,,, Yes he pees in the same exact spot, and i have cleaned up with fantastic bleach with water and other cleaners... i did not th ink about that at al (him smelling and thinking thats his spot!!) i will try something different i heard white vinegar will get the smell to go away, he does not have a bladder problem we checked that out, nothing new or different to our home..... hes just a little devil lately lol...... i will definately find some pics to post too.... thanks so much you are very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Simple solution works great, but I found that a vinegar/water solution works best, and is safe on all floors and most carpets..... Rotties are a very stubborn breed that like to push those buttons to see what they can get away with. If you can rule out a URI as Kitty mentioned above then it is definitely a behavioral problem, and if what your doing isn't working, you may have to try a crate as punishment. This works really well on puppies (most). That is my only suggestion if all else fails, buy a crate and when you catch him "peeing" show him tell him "NO" and place him in the crate for time out. Start out with 5-10 minutes in the crate, and has he keeps doing it increase the time by like 5 minutes. Rotties are very intelligent and he should catch on to this very quickly, but as I mentioned above they are also very stubborn. I love Rotties and you have a great dog I am sure, just be patient and take those "baby steps".....can't wait to see pics..... by the way and to PT!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi again!
Navywife gave some great advice! I have heard vinegar and water solution works good as well. Wow, it is in the same spot and everything huh!! I would definately try some of those products out. There is just a special ingredient in those cleaners to get the *animal smells* out, other cleaners might clean it up for us, but they can still smell it and go right back to that spot. You can even put the stuff/cleaner in a carpet-steam cleaner (which we had to invest in with all our animals! ) and use it on the whole floor/ area where it is.
That is good you ruled out a urinary problem! Hopefully soon your guy will be back on track! Did I say we LOVE pics here!?!?!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I agree with Navywife....you need to correct this behaviour!! It definently sounds behavioural and is probably going in the same spot cause he can still smell it. Definently try vinegar and water to clean it up over the bleach....the bleach will still leave the scent there for him to smell even though you can't...with the bleach smell mixed in with his urine smell he may not recognise it as his urine and be marking his territory cause he thinks it's another dog.....good luck, be patient but make sure you get on top of it as quickly as possible! Let us know your progress!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Playful Pup

My best luck at getting the smell out, as well as the yellow stain, has been with Simple Solution. I do find that I have to sometimes do two applications. Also, if your home isn't very humid, they recommend that you place a slightly damp towel over the solution, since it needs sufficient time on the stain in order for the enzymes to work.

Also, being the genius that I am, I was mixing it with cold water not warm. I don't use the concentrated formula anymore.

Now if I can just remember to shake the container first...:o
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone thanks so much for all the responses.... good news! he has not peed in 4 days!! woo hooo i used the vinegar and water, and it really worked, no smell at all, (that i noticed) i dont think he has either, he has not even been over there to sniff around, so hes been a really good dog, and we've been telling him he's a good boy for not peeign and giving him a treat. so hopefully he'll be strong and not do it again.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yay! I am glad. I gotta remember those things to take out the smell and stain, lol. In case Rebel/Claire has an accident.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Miss New Booty

WOO HOO! I'm so glad that vinegar/water spray has worked for you!!!! Hmmm I guess that's what it was, he was going back to the same spot and smelling it, assuming "Hey this is the place to go" lol. I'm glad things are going well!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

YAY!! I'm glad to hear that it is working for you, anytime you need advice PT is more than welcome to help again, hope to see ya around the other topics, and ummmm pictures pictures pictures

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
urinary tract infection