Good brands of dog food? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:20 PM

I've found that Lamb and Rice is better for them. I dunno if its healthier, but people have told us to make sure its always Lamb and Rice. MAybe there was somehting about dogs possibly being allergic to Chicken? I'm curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If you want my honest opinion, I think it's because lamb and rice is more expensive, better quality ingredients, and typically if people are looking for that specific ingredient, they read the ingredient list. Meaning all of the crappy ingredients can't be obvious and making it a higher quality food.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:44 PM

Mine is nutro max with chicken and lamb. Lamb and rice formula is usually used due to allergies to chicken and beef protiens and is more digestible to dogs. If you notice, with higher quality foods, no one really has a beef formula for dogs anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, when I noticed that Lamb formulas were usually more expensive I started asking around and the general consensus was that it's better for dogs with certain allergies, digestive problems and sensitive skin. My dogs don't have any of those problems, but IMO it sounded better and with the Nutro Natural there was no price difference so I figured what the heck...
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PokeyPokey
I've found that Lamb and Rice is better for them. I dunno if its healthier, but people have told us to make sure its always Lamb and Rice. MAybe there was somehting about dogs possibly being allergic to Chicken? I'm curious...
Lamb formulas were created as an alternative to more common protein sources but over the years lamb has become an increasingly popular ingredient and because of this there has also been an increase in dogs allergic to lamb.
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:52 PM

My toy poodle eats Solid Gold and my aussie mix eats Timberwolf Organics. I have been most impressed by Timberwolf Organics and Innova so far.
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Herp Nerd

I've actually been hunting for a book out there, that I can't even remember the name of muchless the author but it breaks down dietary needs for dogs by breed. Lists off what they would have been eating where the breed originated and so forth. It was very indepth and I think it makes a lot of sense that different breeds have different energy needs and different digestion abilities... so every brand of dog food is not necessarily as good for every dog. Which in the end, a reaction to a certain food may not be allergies persay, but a general benefit from something easier to digest for a particular breed/size/age of dog, etc. Dunno, just thought I'd throw a hook out there and see if anyone bites and can help me with the name of the book.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wasn't this one, was it?

Canine Nutrition: Choosing the Best Food for Your Breed

Here's a website with the entire book in pdf format:
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/06.html

Stephanie

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:18 PM

Anyone ever use or considered the B.A.R.F diet. Bones and raw food. I honestly can't give an answer on that one. I think I still have lots of questions but here is an informative site on it

BARF
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Dena, Tortois talked with me about the BARF diet/plan/whatever. It sounded good to me, but then again, did you see Jade's thread about the dihydrogen monoxide? That sounded pretty convincing too I honestly just don't have the time/patience/resources (thats alot of raw meat and odd animal parts) to do it.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 08:36 PM

I asked him for information but he never gave it to me. Then a couple weeks ago I met a woman who does Barf with her 2 Dalmations (both deaf) she said her dogs are doing wonderfully on it and it is completely true about the the poop turning white and becoming powder if you step on it. She said you aren't supposed to use the feet, which was listed on the site, but that she gives mainly necks. I think I will do much more research and then I found another food called Solid Gold. I think it is much more expensive but there is no corn, wheat, soy, or 'white carbohydrates, only brown rice. It was donated to the shelter and is at the bottom of all the stuff that was donated so I will read the label and give everyone a list of ingredients tomorrow.
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 01:35 AM

My dogs eat Pedigree Small bites and do awesome on it. All are healthy.
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:36 PM
Miss New Booty

Hey Becki and everyone..
I guess I am coming in a little late here, and u may have decided on your food already. I just wanted to add my thoughts . I fed my 3 dogs and 3 cats Science Diet. My cat Snuggles has been having seizures and Jasmine my papillon, never had normal stools, always sick, but never anything "wrong" I was hearing some things about SD that weren't good. For example, what Jade said about those preservatives..BHT etc...someone told me it was very bad for the animals. It had certain by-products in it.And not to gross everyone out, but a few realiable sources have told me that these foods are being made from "recycled animals." I was appalled at that. I thought by buying one of the most expensive brands and it being in the vets office, I was doing the best for my babies. A friend said when I asked "then why do they sell it at the vet" that they get it for free at the office, for advertising their products. I even had a VET himself,( that I met while buying natural food at a store and he was there buying it for HIS own cats) tell me what was actually in this food, and how crappy it was, even thou he sold it in his own office!!! There are many good natural foods out there. I noticed u listed all the ingrediants. and the Mixed tocopherols are very good preservative. I purchased something called Solid Gold for my dogs.(the cats hated it) They love it. And Jasmines tummy problems have gotten better since changing over and getting off SD. Snuggles(who had no justified "cause" for his seizures has not had any to my knowedge since switching over, knock on wood. Not saying it was caused by the food, but we have no causes, just a speculation about everything) The cats are on something called Natural Balance, made by Dick Van Patten. Other good foods are what Jade said Flint River Ranch, Innova Natura, California Natural(cats I think) and Wellness. I have found that they even run about the same price, the smaller bag of Solid Gold cheaper than SD! The only thing is, you have to know where to get them. There are store locators on their sites. I get Solid Gold and Natural Balance at PetCo. Pet smart doesn't have it. and Petco doesnt have the other ones I listed, they are usually at specialty dog/ cat food stores and Natural Grocery stores. I am not sure on the food you listed, the ingrediants look pretty good. I have also heard that Raw Diets are a really good way to go, but my dogs are happy now, so for now they stay on Solid Gold Hope I could help some:cool:

~* Jackie *~

post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Heather

Our pups are on Iams which is the same and made by the same people as Eukanuba (Eukanuba cost a little tiny bit more but not much). Both are excellent foods that keep them healthy on the inside as well as the outside...both of our pups coats are just tremendous...especially Justice with her black coat. Good food keeps it shiny, healthy and just beautiful! They sell Iams at Petsmart andWalmart and many other places I am sure and it is a little cheaper there than Petsmart but not much! My Vet reccomends this brand (Iams) and Eukanuba also!
Heather

post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 02:43 PM

That's what I feed my dogs too. The Nutro natural lamb and rice- but the diet kind now. The regular in the green bag goes on sale a lot around here at - pooch and kitty or Petsupplies plus you can get pretty cheap if you watch for sales on it.

Tags
ascorbic acid, barf diet, basset hound, bird cage, calcium pantothenate, canned food, cat food, chicken meal, chicken soup, choline chloride, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, dick van patten, dog food, dried beet pulp, dry food, farm animals, flax seed oil, folic acid, german shepherd, german shepherds, human food, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, nutro natural choice, pet food, pet foods, pet shop, pet store, pig food, puppy food, pyridoxine hydrochloride, quality dog food, royal canin, shih tzu, thiamine mononitrate, urinary tract infection, vet clinic, vet tech, veterinary medicine, wet food, yucca schidigera extract