Good brands of dog food? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 09:03 AM

What are Dena's "greenies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 09:42 AM

Aren't they a type of chew? I thought they were compressed green shaped treats.
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Nutro Natural Choice

I got lucky and found it on thier website so I don't have to type!

Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 21.00%
Crude Fat (minimum) 12.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 5.00%
Moisture (maximum) 10.00%
Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50%
Zinc (minimum) 250 mg/kg
Vitamin E (minimum) 150 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 35 mg/kg
Glucosamine (minimum)* 450 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate (minimum)* 350 mg/kg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:10 PM

Info on Greenies

Greenies Web Site

This link will show what I have posted below but they have a whole site on just this product and will be able to answer your questions better than I can explain them. They are on the downside slightly expensive but have great benefits!

Greenies® Contain:
No Plastic?
No Inert Ingredients!

No Added Preservatives!
No Artificial Colors!
No Added Sodium Chloride!
No Added Sugar!

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein not less than .........52%
Crude Fat no less than .................4%
Crude Fiber not more than ............5%
Moisture not more than...............12%

Greenies® Are:
A Chew, A Treat
Highly Nutritious
Proven Effective in Preventing
Buildup of Dental Tartar
Formulated with Ingredients to Diminish
Odors & Bacteria Plus
Strengthen Gums and hence extend the
life of your dog!

Ingredients:
Processed wheat gluten, glycerin, natural
flavor, powdered cellulose fiber,
monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides
of edible fatty acids, magnesium stearate
and chlorophyll. No artificial coloring
added. No preservatives, and no plastics
or other inert ingredients. Product
appearance and color may vary due to
natural ingredients. All ingredients are
used in human food product.

Greenies®-the original smart-treat®
Cleans Teeth and Freshens Breath
NO Grease Spots Left Behind
NO Crumbs!

Greenies® help satisfy your dog's natural
desire to chew, for your dog's enjoyment
and welfare; and frees you of daily
brushing of your dogs teeth!

Greenies® are TOTALLY EDIBLE
Except for the Palatability (Taste) Enhancer
which is made specifically for dogs, all
other ingredients are natural, human
food-grade material.

Greenies®-the original smart-treat®
were formulated by:
Veterinary Clinical Nutritionist
Agriculturalist
Dog Lovers

Greenies® are formulated with
ingredients and consistency to:
Present Excellent Taste the Dogs Like
Provide Nutrition (>52% Protein, <6% Fat)
Deter Buildup of Dental Tartar
Control "Doggie" Odor
(breath, urine, feces & body)
Decrease Oral Bacteria
Massage & Strengthen Gums
Avoid Use of Inert Ingredients
Avoid Grease Spots and Crumbs
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks Dena!
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 09:50 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with Greenies. McKenzy LOVES them and BEGS for them everyday, however I hate that they are so expensive.
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'm kinda lucky - my groomer sales them and always gives me a deal. Plus with small dogs, I cut them in half (or sometimes even thirds!)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 05:46 PM

beatrice get rice, a veggie, chicken and flaxseed oil. i will never ever EVER get commercial dog food again it is full of preservitives and it acctually has dogs and cats in it that have been put down. i am never useing it again
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 02:22 PM

--

I work at the petstore so I get a discount on them. HE gets ATLEAST one every month. He loves them but eats them pretty fast. My dog is a lab so he gets the largest size. They come in a size that comes in a jar, for sprinkling! They are the size of ..... a tictac! They are for "birds and small critters too" it says. Ive never fed them to the other animals though, there teeth seem just fine
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 02:23 PM

my dog gets innova.

there is no dog or cats in the food, sorry but dont spred false information. Maybe in a forgien country or something but there are laws on petfood here in the US, and there is NO cats or dogs. That is why they list ingridents . did you see dog or cat listed?
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
CCinAL

I have recently switched my dogs, and my cat, to Chicken soup. My German shepherd is a pretty good eater anyway, but she just loves this food. I'm switching my chihuahua over to it, and he's eating the Chicken soup out of it, and spitting the old food out; then he'll finish it off.

post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:39 AM
leebee

Quote: there is no dog or cats in the food, sorry but dont spred false information. Maybe in a forgien country or something but there are laws on petfood here in the US, and there is NO cats or dogs. That is why they list ingridents . did you see dog or cat listed?

Actually, in a lot of commercial pet foods, Budigirl is correct. Shelters and veterinarian offices often have rendering plants pick up the euthanized animals. These animals are rendered into a dry protein product and sold to pet food industries. The FDA has even done a study on the levels of pentobarbitol (the drug used to euthanize animals) in pet food.

I highly suggest reading these articles. This is fact, not fiction.

http://www.fuzzyfaces.com/lfood2.html

http://pages.zdnet.com/vabutter8/books/id2.html

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Petfood.html
Excerpt: The US Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is aware of the use of rendered dogs and cats in pet foods, but has stated: "CVM has not acted to specifically prohibit the rendering of pets. However, that is not to say that the practise of using this material in pet food is condoned by the CVM."

post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 02:31 PM

Dogs and cats in pet food, boy that's a new one I've never heard,lol.

I really don't think chicken soup is a balanced meal for a dog.
I do believe in making your own dog food with people food but you would have to get a variety of foods(get a book on it) and make it 100% compleat and balanced for them- maybe add vitimins too.
That's too much work for me, that's why I buy good quality dog food instead.
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda Lee

I really don't think chicken soup is a balanced meal for a dog.
Linda, the Chicken Soup she was referring to is a TYPE of dog food. You can read the ingredients here: Link

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 02:37 PM

BTW- I did buy a bag of California natural today. When I feel up to it I'll sit down and type all the ingrediants here. I tasted a peice and it was really good!!!! maybe it's because I'm on a diet right now,
better not be any cats or dogs in it, yuk,lol

Tags
ascorbic acid, barf diet, basset hound, bird cage, calcium pantothenate, canned food, cat food, chicken meal, chicken soup, choline chloride, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, dick van patten, dog food, dried beet pulp, dry food, farm animals, flax seed oil, folic acid, german shepherd, german shepherds, human food, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, nutro natural choice, pet food, pet foods, pet shop, pet store, pig food, puppy food, pyridoxine hydrochloride, quality dog food, royal canin, shih tzu, thiamine mononitrate, urinary tract infection, vet clinic, vet tech, veterinary medicine, wet food, yucca schidigera extract