Good brands of dog food? - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Jade -I just saw your post -Oh well, I look dumb again, never heard of it around here. I'm glad she's not really feeding chicken soup to her pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 06:52 PM

Im not saying I dont agree that this can and does happen but keep in mind that downed cows and other farm animals are also euthanized and end up in pet foods. Many of the foods that tested positive for having the drug were foods that contained beef or meat and bone meal.

Quote:
Originally posted by leebee
Quote: there is no dog or cats in the food, sorry but dont spred false information. Maybe in a forgien country or something but there are laws on petfood here in the US, and there is NO cats or dogs. That is why they list ingridents . did you see dog or cat listed?

Actually, in a lot of commercial pet foods, Budigirl is correct. Shelters and veterinarian offices often have rendering plants pick up the euthanized animals. These animals are rendered into a dry protein product and sold to pet food industries. The FDA has even done a study on the levels of pentobarbitol (the drug used to euthanize animals) in pet food.

I highly suggest reading these articles. This is fact, not fiction.

http://www.fuzzyfaces.com/lfood2.html

http://pages.zdnet.com/vabutter8/books/id2.html

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Petfood.html
Excerpt: The US Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is aware of the use of rendered dogs and cats in pet foods, but has stated: "CVM has not acted to specifically prohibit the rendering of pets. However, that is not to say that the practise of using this material in pet food is condoned by the CVM."
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:29 AM

I'd love to know which pet food companies are buying the processed euthanize animals for their foods? Any one have that info on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 AM

I may end up becoming a farmer! EEEWwWWW!

I am going to stop giving Moose kibble! Yuck! I think that the chickens being fed gound up carcasses is disgusting!
[A 1991 USDA report states that "approximately 7.9 billion pounds of meat and bone meal, blood meal and feather meal [were] produced in 1983". Of that amount, 34 per cent was used in pet food, 34 per cent in poultry feed, 20 per cent in pig food and 10 per cent in beef and dairy cattle feed.

Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) carried in pig- and chicken-laden foods may eventually eclipse the threat of "mad cow disease". The risk of household pet exposure to TSE from contaminated pet food is more than three times greater than the risk for hamburger-eating humans] quoted by(Gar Smith is Editor of Earth Island Journal.)

I can not believe after the madcow disease in Europe that they would even allow it to continue! It becomes quite transferable to humans so why do it? It is disgusting!
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 08:55 AM

Hey since the events in Europe are you sure that they haven't changed the rules on "meat meal"?

It is comparable to rabies after all and I kind of think that they may have changed their standards. It was in 1983 that this was quoted from.
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 05:14 AM

I'd just play it safe and get pet food that says it's human grade. That Chicken soup sounds terrific !
Calfornia Natural DRY- chicken flavor ingrd:
Chicken meal,Brown rice,rice,sunflower oil,ground flaxseed, bunch a vitimins listed ect.....

Now was that list of ingrediants that Jade posted on Chicken soup, was that the can or dry food? I thought it must be the can food.

Last edited by Linda Lee; 07-11-2003 at 05:25 AM.
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 08:10 AM

I know that any "wet food " gives moose the runs. Then it's chicken and rice to fix him. So He doesn't get that. I feed him Iams and it has chicken meal, so I am not as paranoid about that.
I looked and I didn't find any meat meal in purina products either. Which is what I fed him before Iams. I think he may be alright. I have never seen pet food marked as human grade.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:52 PM

Natura foods are all human grade, they consist of - Innova, California Natural and Healthwise pet food.
They state their pet food is really above human grade(which I believe) a lot of human food has crap in it.
They explain here:
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...#39;1803']
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 12:17 AM

Thank all of you for the information on dog food. There are so many brands out there that you really don't known which to choose. I am currently trying the Sam's Club Exceed Chicken and Rice, and so far they are doing great on it. I tried the lamb and rice Nutro, but they never had anything but soft stool with it, so I had to switch! Will keep you informed on the outcome of Exceed Chicken and Rice, which incidentally, has no by-products contained in its ingredients.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 05:20 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I am a Royal Canin faithful. My cats eat Royal Canin and since moving to Finland Kirby has been switched from Science Hill to Royal Canin and EVERYONE has been commenting on how nice his coat looks. Seamus' breeder fed him Nutro for small/medium breed puppies and she gave us so much of the food that he is still eating it, but slowly I'm switching him over to Royal Canin, too. (It's for the best because the Nutro pellets are so small that he isn't chewing anymore, he's just swallowing them whole. I think that's the only reason he doesn't want the Royal Canin puppy food--he has to chew it! Lazy thing... )

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Side Note: Royal Canin is also the maker of Natural Blend and Sensible Choice.

The break down of which foods I feed my animals is as follows:

Gerona - Royal Canin Siamese & Indoor formulas (more Indoor than Siamese, but the presence of Siamese makes her chew her food and gives her more nutrition for energy)

Galina - Royal Canin Kitten 34

Kirby - Royal Canin Energy 4300 (special formula for working dogs or dogs that live in extreme climates and need extra nutrition)

Seamus - Royal Canin Medium Junior

Royal Canin Website

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 03:03 PM

Thank you for the response on dog foods. I will try the Royal Canin to see how it works on my German Shepherds! Again, Thank you very much!
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I am so excited, I just found out today that my feedstore carries the 'Chicken soup' line of food, and it's cheaper than Nutro!! There might be some food switching around here soon!
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 04:01 PM

That's great Becki. Let us know how you like it.

Royal Canin and Waltam are the same compamy. Waltam makes Pedigree.

My dogs are getting switched to Canidae. Our local feed store carries a HUGE variety. From Dog Chow, to Nutro, to Wellness. I was very impressed.
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Awesome Becki! Our dogs are on that and they are a finicky pair...even when they were on Wellness, Harlie stopped eating it after a few months...I think she gets bored with flavors or something...but they have been on the Chicken Soup for over a year now and they both love it!

Tags
ascorbic acid, barf diet, basset hound, bird cage, calcium pantothenate, canned food, cat food, chicken meal, chicken soup, choline chloride, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, dick van patten, dog food, dried beet pulp, dry food, farm animals, flax seed oil, folic acid, german shepherd, german shepherds, human food, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, nutro natural choice, pet food, pet foods, pet shop, pet store, pig food, puppy food, pyridoxine hydrochloride, quality dog food, royal canin, shih tzu, thiamine mononitrate, urinary tract infection, vet clinic, vet tech, veterinary medicine, wet food, yucca schidigera extract