Good grief. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Good grief.

I just had to sedate my dog to CLIP HIS NAILS. I've tried various methods mentioned here over the past couple months, with NO luck. Even if I sit over him with him in a sit position, I can't keep a good grip on him, so I had to sedate him. Despite the sedation and him not being able to walk straight, I still have battle wounds. Talking to folks at work, they said pugs are 'freaks' when it comes to their nails. Of course, I get one of them.

Anyone else have 'nail freaks' for dogs?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 03:56 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee poor Gumbo!!!
OMG don't even get me started ..... Scooby our yellow lab/chow mix is a freak all around he hates to be brushed, he hates to have his nails trimmed, he hates to have his back end touched, he is just the ultimate "freak boy" it is a never ending battle with him, Darren and I have to tag team him to at least give a good brushing 1-2 times a month and even then it's not enough but the torture he puts us through is
Dakota our male rottie has a feet fettish he hates his feet to be touched, so you can only imagine trying to do his nails, and he has 2 nails that grow extremely weird, long and fast so trying to keep those 2 trimmed constantly is a challenge in itself. With my background and experience trimming nails is NOT what I do, I hate it, I'm afraid to do it, so Darren does it, but I do have to help hold the dog's down.
Tabitha is okay with it, once you get going, she has had 1 too many vets cut her nails too short and I do mean too short and has bled everytime and even limped for days afterwards, so she tends to be a bit edgy at the beginning.
The rest are okay, Gidget's nails stay extremely short so we have never had to trim hers or have them trimmed by somebody else, Jessies are the same way(but she is still quite young), and Beau has only had to have his done by Darren once in the 10 months we have had him.
Dante needs his done, but that boy is just a big ole' bear, that tends to get a spark and starts bucking around the room when he thinks your playing, so this one will be interesting

*stay tuned for as the nails are trimmed*

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Wink

well, my yorkie, penny, won't let me do them. she isn't mean about it, but just politely removes her paw and tucks it under her. but she is fine about it when the groomer does it (or the vet). chaquita on the other hand............well, let's just say - NOT good. she's my chi/schipperke mix (rescue) and has a horrible time every time we go to the vet. the very first time i took her she wrestled so hard with the vet techs. she ended up knocking her own head on god - knows - what and gave herself a bloody nose and broke every blood vessel in her right eye. i had to put salve in her eye for a week! but every time we go she DOES get better. but she still acts like you're killing her and it takes two people to do it.

aaaaaah...the joy of nail clipping.

oh, and my cat, layla (aka: satan), has to be sedated with gas or put completely under just to get a nail trim. needless to say, it doesn't happen often.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 07:47 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Tito!

Omg, Tito acts like you're beating him to death. I wonder what the neighbors think... I can see the police showing up and me saying "I swear, I was just clipping his nails!"

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wellshe ain't my dog, but my friend has a border collie, jack russel terrier mix, Cute very cute dog, sweet, but when it comes to her nails, she has to be muzzled. She snaps when they try to clip na ils.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Rotties are KNOWN for not liking their feet touched and I've not had a rotty yet that wasn't ticklish....

We made "getcher toes" games for the dogs that we play at least once a day...without the nail clippers. And whenever I'm just "laying around" with the dogs, such as watching tv, I always try to ease into rubbing their feet and massaging the lower leg.

With all of the burrs or potential for ticks between the toes etc etc it's extremely important that I can get to the dog's feet when needed. Fortunately we don't have to do much nail clipping around her since their outdoor time keeps that naturally under control but I do have to do a lot of "Pulling bad things out" from deep between the toes.

The gentle rubbing and massaging while relaxed as well as our little "getcher toes" games seems to help a ton on this end. Max, Chelsea, and even Polo HATED having their feet touched at all when they arrived home with us. All got better about it with the rubbing and game techniques. I've also found it's much easier to work with their feet when they are tired.

For any dog that doesn't like their toes messed with, I strongly recommend making it a point to mess with all four feet at least once a day in a non invasive manner. Just rubbing or touching etc.... this should help when it's time to actually have to "work on them" again in the future (at least a little bit LOL). With Polo I started the first day he came home. Once he's tuckered out for the day and just laying around half dead...I start rubbing his belly and then working my way to each foot individually. Now I can do it when he's wide awake. He still doesn't like it...but he no longer growls or pulls away or anything like that...

- Deb

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Steph, do you get the national geographic channel? You have to watch the show the Dog Whisperer. Ceasar is AMAZING. He deals with "problem" dogs and aggressive dogs. He worked with one vizsla that was afraid of everthing and was very aggressive to make up for it. I know this is NOT gumbo but he was able to take this vizsla who previously had to be held down by 5 people or be sedated at the vet's office to get his nails cipped, and did his nails at home within a couple of hours of working with him with no problem.

Anyone with dog "issues" really has to see this show. This guy is not a fly by night trainer. He really understands dogs and I'm impressed.

He also has a VERY large pack of rehabilitated, abandoned dogs that consists of pitbulls, rotties (his fav), dobies, french bulldog, springer, poodle etc. and they all get along because they know he is the pack leader.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
For any dog that doesn't like their toes messed with, I strongly recommend making it a point to mess with all four feet at least once a day in a non invasive manner. Just rubbing or touching etc.... this should help when it's time to actually have to "work on them" again in the future (at least a little bit LOL).
I started playing with his feet from day one. He's fine with his feet, just dear God, don't touch his toenails.

Stephanie

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Luckily for me, Biscuit doesn't need her nails trimmed. She keeps them down herself, which is good cause except for two of them, they are all black. She has one brown one, and one white one. I check the white one to make sure she doesn't need them done but she never does. I hate trimming black nails and will only do it after surgery, when they are asleep Cindy is great, my mum even accidently made her bleed the last time she did it and she didn't pull away. she's an angel dog that one! I trim the rabbits and now Milko's. milko will be getting his tipped every single week so hopefully we have no trouble as he gets older. He fell asleep while I was doing last night though. shadow and Molly don't mind the actual nail clipping but Molly is jumpy normally so we have to get her when she is tired.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh we have a dog (also called Biscuit) that comes into work. This dog used to be aggressive towards all of us. He now drags his mum into work (it's so good to see someone actually listen to us and train their dog) but he doesn't like his nails trimmed. He doesn't need them done all the time so we 'pretend to do them' i hold him while the other vet nurse touches his nails with the clippers but doesn't cut. He had some bad experiences in the past so we want to teach him that it doesn't hurt!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I guess I've lucked out...When I was younger I had a Chow that wouldn't let anyone touch her feet including the groomer, yet I could do it without a problem. With my pitties, I call them to me, make them lay down and roll over on their backs and dremel their nails...sorry Steph, no advice as I've never had a problem (not even with dogs at work...yet)

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

OMG! Wow! What did you sedate him with?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The vet gave me some Acepromazine. I started with half a tablet and that didn't phase him. Gave another half 45 mins later. To make sure he was sedate, I picked his front two legs up (he was lying down, head between them) and dropped them - he just looked at me. As soon as those clippers came out, he was trying to get away. I nearly gave him another half but was able to manage once I put on some long sleeves. I actually wound up putting Chris' hat on his head to distract him while I did the back feet. He was so worried about the hat I was able to clip the toes.

Stephanie

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wow, crazy Gumbo!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes that dreaded nail clipping and brushing. It took me until Lacey was about three to do her nails without major distress, brushing her is still a chore. Thank goodness she has very short hair! Mandy's not that bad, good thing because she has a lot of hair. Hopefully,with time, you'll have better luck with Gumbo!

Tags
border collie, chow mix, jack russel terrier, terrier mix, vet clinic, vet tech, yellow lab