Good grooming tools for 'poos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Good grooming tools for 'poos

Dearest loving nana spoils her dog to the max. She gets him professionally groomed once a month. Well she is struggling now because her social security just got cut. On top of that, I just got some terrible news about Chewy, a friend's dog. He was recently beaten and thrown outside by some drunk guys so he will be coming to us after he is revaccinated (mom insists) and examined by a vet.

Beau is a yorkie poo and gets a cut similar to shih poos. Basic "shave" down and his ears clipped and brushed. Then his face is trimmed up all cute. He looks like the dog below haircut wise but with the body clipped shorter (but the face looks similar.)

Chewy is always shaved down so he looks like a little rat and all lol. He is a shih poo with VERY curly hair. Professionally groomed, I'm sure he'd look kind of like this.

He is afraid of new people now so he won't be going to the groomer for a while.

My list of current grooming tools is
  1. Furminator
  2. Blunt tip scissors
  3. Scissor style nail clippers (but might trade em for grinder)
  4. Slicker brush
  5. Ear Wash
  6. And of course shampoo and conditioner

I blow dry my dogs after I towel dry. I was thinking of getting tear stain remover but not sure of any good brands. The last one I bought didn't work all that well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'd call the groomer to ask for shaver recommendations . There are a ton of different brands, blade sizes, etc. The groomer will know best.

There are certain breeds that shouldn't be groomed with the Furminator, maybe look it up and make sure it'll be OK with them. I'm not familiar with the grooming of small poodle mixes like that (but I know "doodles" can be a pain to groom...they're prone to matting).

I've heard good things about Angel's Eyes (or something like that) but haven't tried it. The tear stain remover I have is PetCo brand. It works OK.

I'd get a good, fine tooth comb to use in addition to the slicker brush . Combs are great for areas prone to matting, like ears.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Just checked and furminator doesn't work on curlies so I guess thats a no go lol.

I heard of angel eyes but that stuff is ALWAYS sold out at both of my regular Petco stores. I don't think they carry it at Unleashed. There isn't a spot on the shelf for em...or maybe I'm just blind lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Definitely ask a groomer's recommendation, especially the one from the salon where he used to get groomed.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Chewy has never been groomed. My friends mom just shaves him at home lol. I don't want to sound mean but I actually want him to look GOOD.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna