good treats - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:41 PM

Also Deja,

Since you are interested in the BARF diet and plan to research more, one thing it doesn`t tell you (puree ingredients). They have a hard time digesting the vege`s so it helps if you get it chopped finely or puree`d. Meat I left in chunks and then gave a whole meat/bone combo afterwards. I never did get totally on the program cause Zeus was starting to NOT eat. I couldn`t let that happen so we compromised...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't think I could commit to this program for many, many reasons... but I would like to learn about why a lot of people choose to feed this way.
I am glad you found a compromise and it's working Is Zeus doing OK now? I remember a while back reading that he was having some health issues.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:57 PM

It`s a long story. I will try to send you a message to keep from cluttering up this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
puppilove

It's funny you brought up possessiveness. My neighboor and I were just talking today about how possessive the dogs have gotten with their treats. We've had to buy 2 seperate bags, one for each.. and they know which one is theirs... we've created lil monsters.
This BARF diet is all new to me.. what are the reasons for using the diet??

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:04 PM

My reasons for attempting to use it is just for the simple fact it is healthier than most any dog food you can buy. It can be more expensive and more trouble to prepare. I have a lot of health issues with one of my Boxers so I thought if I could get him on the healthiest food possible that maybe it would make a difference for him. In turn at first he gobbled it up and then he started to get a bit finnicky so we compromised to keep him eating. I think it was really odd to see my boy Zeus eat strawberry/banana yogurt, brocolli, couliflour, carrots, eggs, meat with bone. I don`t know enough about this diet to help you with it. You have to figure your dogs weight to know what to feed and how much and stuff like that and nutrition to make sure he is getting everything he needs...If you do try this there is a site on the BARF diet and one thing it doesn`t tell you is you need to puree the vegetables cause dogs have trouble digesting them...
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:21 PM

As for treats, our dogs eat just about anything, although miss Tabitha can be a bit picky at times, but they will eat just about anything from plain dog biscuits, to pieces of broccoli or baby carrots..... When training them I tried the small pieces of cut up hot dogs, but stopped real quick, lol it gave them very bad gas..... Scooby did well with his training when I used baby carrots, Tabitha did better with plain ole biscuits or pieces of dog food, like Becki said act excited enough they think it's something great
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Deja you were right about the Old mother hubbard treats, they are from the makers of Wellness. You are totally right about the other treats being very rich and causing diarehha...haha...I learned the hard way too!! I would love to give my Boxers the Wellness Wellbar treats, but they arent sold in my area. But we get our Wellness from a Feed Company since they dont sell it in the Pet Supply stores. It actually is cheaper in the Feed stores too than online! Our two just love Wellness, and it made thier coats so beautiful!

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Melissa, I feed Wellness too - and I've had the same results. It's amazing how great their coats are - and there is no odor on their breath - the dogs actually smell good now!

I never thought to check the Feed Store for the Wellness- wow- thanks for that suggestion. I need to stock up this weekend and I will definately see if the local feed stores around here sell it, and compare the price to the Pet Supply store I've been buying it from. I'll also look for those Wellness Wellbar treats- I don't think I've ever seen them.

[center]

[
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

ok so how do you pronouce that word? like your going to sneeze and then say sausage?

Tags
barf diet, cat food, dog biscuits, dog food, dry cat food, pet supply store