Got a Question.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Got a Question....

Hey all!

I've noticed that when I go to play with the girls, Valentina always try to catch my attention more than Charlotte, and she sometimes pushes Charly away and gets in the way when I'm petting her. Charly usually either allowes her and keeps trying to get a hug or something, or goes away to eat a bit or drink and comes back after Vale is bored with me (which usually makes Vale take an interest in me again). Now, if Vale and I start playing rough, and Vale jumps and me and stuff while playing, Charly gets very upset with Vale and immediately forces her to submission by throwing her to the floor and growling at her. She keeps her on the floor for some time, then lets go and all is well. Charly never plays rough with me, but sometimes jumps, specially if she is very excited to see me. Any thoughts on this?

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

This just reminds me of how the social system in a wolf pack works. It seems like Charly has asserted herself as the alpha, dominant, dog in the relationship and thinks of you as a special person and she does not want anyone else near you that is not good enough, in her opinion. This is merely my speculation and I'm sure someone much more knowledgable will come along. I hope you can work it out very soon!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My dogs do this too.
If Indy tries to go near me Myfanwy will push him with her paws and bite him (not hard) as if to say go away this is mine.
He perseveres though. She does not get too voilent with him as she is smaller than him.
She does not do this with Maria though and that is because I am top of the pack then Myfanwy, then Indy and then Maria.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I do'nt know much about dog social behaviors with one another... however, this partially reminded me of what I have read about horses.

Valetina obviously wants more attention and the like. I'd put her more in teh position of being the dominant or alpha really.

however, for horses, although a stallion is leader of the herd there is one mare also in some charge.

She seems to hold more of a discipline role than a head role. It seems Charlotte may fall to that instead. while she gives to Vale's desperate seeking of attention, she still steps in as a disciplinarian. Perhaps also sets an example by her own actions as to what she expects Vale to follow. Ie: not playing rough with you.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM

Sounds like establishing dominance to me. Completely normal thing for dogs to want to try to do. Mine did it all last summer but with 2 pits it could sound a lot scarier than it actually is. You just want to keep in mind that you still need to be seen as the alpha and you are allowed to give attention to who you want to give attention to. You might want to use some behavior modification to keep it from elevating into something worse. My dogs seemed to get over it by themselves without much interference from me which I consider myself very lucky. However I notice that in certain situations there is a definite pack order established and respected but I think the key word there is respected.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keritsubo
She seems to hold more of a discipline role than a head role. It seems Charlotte may fall to that instead. while she gives to Vale's desperate seeking of attention, she still steps in as a disciplinarian. Perhaps also sets an example by her own actions as to what she expects Vale to follow. Ie: not playing rough with you.
Well, I know that Charly is the leader, and has taught Vale to hunt iguanas and climb fences. Also, Vale is much more submissive, a small push sends her to the floor belly-up. Charly is more dominant, in the sense that it's harder to get her to lie on her back for you.
When Charly makes Vale back down, Vale does and has kinda like a play face, while Charly has a face that means bussiness. I know the difference cause Charly's ears stand up when she's mad (she has floppy ears and they stand up like Odie's). Still, I can tell them "no" and they stop, I usually let them work it out themselves (since it doesn't gets out of control, just a lot of growling and pushing)

Dimaris

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Established pecking order and personality

Nothing to worry about, it's their pecking order. We kind of have that situation to, but it's not the same. Ebony wants to Butt in all of the time, and she's such a moose about it.

And the personaalities are such, just love them for who they are, but if they hurt each other you need to let them know with the sound of your voice, (Changed somehow that it's not ok)

Good luck.