Gotta get some meat on his bones - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Gotta get some meat on his bones

Hi everyone,

I'm posting for a friend of mine who has a sick Great Dane, he's 6 years old (though he thinks he's still 2) and had lost alot of weight due to a tape worm
Anyways, he no longer has the tape worm and had been treated for it, but he just can't seem to get any weight back on
She has had him on a mix of Nutro L&R and a Nutro Puppy food, it's 'sorta' helped a bit but she ran out of puppy and kept him on the adult and it seems he's still WAY to slim.

I'm looking for ideas to help plump up this old guy.
I told her to get back on the puppy food, with his size and weight it won't hurt him.
I was thinking how about cooked liver? or a raw diet? anyone have information about this?

My friend isn't working, she is very ill and so has not much money to spend, so a new diet will have to be reasonably priced.

Any helpful information would be much appreciated,
Thanx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I owned a dog that no matter what wouldn't put on weight. We were told to get him some meaty bones and give him one good sized one a day...he was very active too and that helped keep him calm as well.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 02:11 AM
Part of the Pack

You can supplement his food by adding some fresh meats, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, eggs. That would probably help bulk him up a little.

My babies...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 07:03 AM

When my Clancey was stolen, and then she returned to me about 3 weeks later she was very thin. She was a Black Angus shepard and should have weighed about 100 but was only 60. My vet, (old school kind of doc) suggested a mix of day old bread and Pet milk (that is a brand of canned milk) along with her regular food. She put the weight back on and it helped to keep her stomach settled.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks' everyone for all the great ideas and usefull information. I'm going to pass it along to my friend.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My husband's Samoyed, Kirby, has a very fast metabolism (was Nacho the same, Carmen?) and to keep his weight on, we feed him a food for WORKING dogs. The food we give him is usually used for sled and hunting dogs in Finland.

On top of that, we give him scrambled eggs, yogurt (will ALL the fat), and occassionally kidney, liver, heart and ground beef (cooked).

This has helped Kirby to maintain his weight. But, before adopting this plan, we did take him to the vet to have EVERYTHING tested on him to make sure it was nothing medical. If you friend's dog is really having a lot of problems putting weight back on, she might want to go back to the vet for another check-up.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
puppy food