Gracie's bad morning... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Gracie's bad morning...

Welp...this morning I woke up around 5am to let the dogs out...turned on the light and happened to notice that there was blood on the floor...weird. So I look around, its mostly by Grace. I look around her and notice her neck is all torn up! It wasnt like this last nite because I would have noticed. Whatever happened to her must have happened during the night. Anyhow, it looked like one of those cases on TV when the owners leave the too tight collar on too long! It was all bloody and had pus on it. Pretty nasty. I really had no idea how she did it. (The dogs dont wear collars unless we are going somewhere so I knew it wasnt because her collar was bothering it.) Anyhow...I rinsed it with warm water and once I got the dried blood off I rinsed it with saline solution, last I put on some neosporin and wrapped her neck up with an ace bandage. (She really is a great dog and let me do it all without trying to run off.) Anyhow, when the vet opened I called and they said to bring her on in. And we did. Turns out we still arent sure what caused it...well Grace caused her torn up neck by scratching herself bald, but why she is so itchy we arent sure why still. The vet did three different skin scrapes and said he doesnt see mites (which I guess a lot of Boxers in the area are getting right now for some reason, not that I thought it was that anyhow because Max and Har act fine.) Anyways, he did a thyroid test, we will find out on monday if it is a problem with her thyroid, which he thinks it is, but cant say for sure until he gets the results back. She has an ear infection too, which he said might all have to do with her thyroid. I think he said hypothyroid. He said that a lot of dogs, especially older dogs, have thyroid problems. We never have gotten a solid answer on her age so we asked him how old he thought she was...and he said "Probably at least 7." What!!! 7?? My baby Grace is truly Grandma Grace!! (We call her Grandma Grace sometimes because she act like an old granny!! Haha...) Anyhow, its nice to know how old she really is. But anyhow back to her ailments...he said if it isnt thyroid, he thinks it might be allergies. But he is leaning toward the thyroid. I guess we will find out on Monday. I do just want to know so we can get it under control. So the wiggle butt has to have 4 medicines now...she has antibiotics, and anti itch pill, a spray for her neck/chest infection, and also some ear drops. Anyhow, she is doing fine and sleeping in the chair behind me! Hopefully she is feeling less itchy soon! So that was our morning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Aww bless her. Give her a big hug for me!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Aww, poor Grace! Did you notice Grace scratching her ears more than ordinary? Allergies are a nasty thing aren't they? And I am shocked at her age! I truly thought she was a youngin' when you adopted her. I hope Grace gets better Mel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Oh Melis! I'm sorry that Grace had such a bad morning. You guys are great puppy (or Grandma Puppies) owners. Doesn't Max have the thyroid problem too? I can't remember... Is that the same thing that causes his hair to thin out on the sides?? (I remember you telling me whatever it is that Max has is common in Boxers.)

At least you know more of what her age is, I always thought she was like 4 but I never can tell with dogs... 7 seems appropriate though for how calm she is!! I don't doubt the vet!

I'm going to send you a PM too, mom and Em keep telling me to "ask her this" and "ask her that"... haha.

I hope Grace feels less itchy soon. Give her a big smooch on the forehead for me, okay? And then you'll have to give Har and Max one too because I don't want them to think I don't love them!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Mal, Max doesnt have thyroid problems. When his hair was thinning out he was tested for it, but it came back normal. Soo Max was diagnosed with Alopecia...basically just hair loss. Haha...Anyhow, I tried calling all of your phones and no one has them on...so your questions will be answered when you guys call me back! Haha...

Denise, Grace has always been an itchy dog...we have had her skin scraped each time we go to the vets so far...ruling out things like mange...etc...they always just said dry skin...give her fish oils and good food, which we do. We feed Canidae, so I knew it wasnt a reaction to her food...and the oils just never helped her. She doesnt scratch constantly, but more than the other two, and she shakes her head more too. In the summer when Har and Max had their shots (Graces arent due until Dec.) we had them check Max and Hars ears for mites, but they said they looked fine. So we just figured it was another quirk of Graces. But we didnt really think too much of the ear thing because our dogs all shake their heads, its like a floppy ear thing I think...they do it when they wake up, its like they all do it in unison saying good morning to eachother...haha. Anyhow, when the vet ruled out any problems with the other two, we figured Grace was fine too. But anyhow, so that was our fault because she does shake her head more than the other two...Ok so that was a long reply...haha!

And Catherine, I will give her that hug as soon as she wakes up...lol she is still napping in the chair behind me!!

OHH and I wanted to tell everyone...while she was there today she was weighed... She weighs 61lbs! What a tank compared to the scrawny little waif she used to be!! Haha...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww poor Grace. Give her hugs for us.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

aww poor grace!!! I hope you find answers for her soon Mel!!! Poor grandma Grace! And you're right, she sure is a tank now!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How is she now? Give her a big huggy from me..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I hope you find out what wrong with Gracie soon and she gets all better.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Whata morning I am glad she is okay! You are sucha good doggy Mom you will be an awesome human mom!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Poor Grace. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Rhonda

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hope you find out something soon! Best wishes!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:10 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

first and foremost, i am so glad that grace has owners like you guys! who knows where she'd be without you two.

what a horrible morning. i hope she gets to feeling better. give her a kissy from me.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Poo dont scare me!!!

Ok guys, she is doing a lot better and her neck is healing up fast...the spray stuff seems to be helping a lot. Anyhow...I didnt want to leave ya hanging, but Im running out the door, but I will post later more about her and how my weekend has been going...in a good way!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

could it be hotspots?

Tags
doing fine, ear infection, hair loss, older dog