Groomers - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Groomers

Hey all. I am looking for advice. I have an oppertunity available to me, that I would like to take advantage of, but am not having the greatest success in finding where to start. I have a friend who is branching out on their own, and needs a dog (well all animal, but dogs I'm sure are the most frequent) groomer. I would be my own seperate buisness, but would be working with him and we would cross promote one another (plus share the same space). However, I realise that I do need to take a grooming course. This is where I am having problems. I can not seem to find a schools that teach this. Alot of established groomers, but I doubt they would want to teach the competition. I found a couple schools. One seems ungodly expensive and has a list of courses a mile long. The other didn;t have any info posted, and when I submitted the query form, they have not gotten back to me. How do you find good courses? What price range is realistic? I am not able to pay thousands and thousands of dollars, which is what the one listed. I don't expect it to be cheap, just not a years pay. Any tips on starting up a buisness? Costs involved? Any is much appreciated!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Part of the Pack

As expensive as the education can be, the equipment costs are pretty high as well.

When starting a business it's always good to sit back and write up a business plan before moving foreward. Mission Statement, Goals,marketing plan,overhead cost vs projected earning and what's left over for salary and an action plan on achiving these things. Then you take a look see at it and ponder on whether or not this is really viable, have others review it. Owning a profitable business takes a lot of work, more than a lot of people consider until they are neck deep financially and not prepared realistically the kind of time they need to put into it to see the profit they expected.

I wholly encourage people to go for it, but not blindly. Take the time to do the pre-work and you'll be better off. Anyone I would go into business with would need to explain all of these angles of their planning as well.

As for the grooming business specifically I can't say much, other than sound business practices carry across all industries.

I'm so excited for you, this could be a great adventure. I look foreward to hearing how this works out.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'll talk to the groomer at my vet's office next week and see what she says...she works out of our clinic and they do cross promote each other. Jenn's right though...equipment is EXPENSIVE! (just got a catologue in today with some really cool tubs that have a door and stairs so you don't have to lift the "ottoman shaped" fatties into the tub and throw out your back!) Cost for that was roughly $2,000-$3,000 USD

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thank you both so much for your responses. Mandie, I am eager to hear what she says.
Jenn, Do you own your own buisness? You sound like you've done this before! I know I can do this once setup, it's the getting there I'm slipping on!

Come drop by!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well, after talking over in length with Guy. We have decided not to persue this. While owning my own pet related buisness is my dream, grooming is not. I think I got candy-eyed at the thought of this being my own buisness and having the opertunity available to me. But really this is not the direction I want for my life. Thank you very much for your support though

Come drop by!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Part of the Pack

I've done this time and time again...lol for other people and myself, although never in the grooming industry but there does seem to be a bit of a formula to business planning whichever industry it is.

When I was 15 and not old enough to have a "real" job I was hired on by the local groomer gal in my small town. I made two bucks a dog to wash them, and she would train me on using equipment. My mother would make me walk to this job, it took me about an hour to get there, and an hour and a half to walk home. I would usually make on average twenty bucks on a saturday afternoon. It was a good experience but the one thing that sticks in my head is the dogs who pooped in the tub while I was washing them, this basset hound in particular,,,and then there was the whole squeezing those glands on their rear ends, that was so gross really. Hhahahhhahahha

I wish you the best in your adventures, and hope something more up your alley will fall right in your lap.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Jenn! I'm sure I will be seeking your advice when it does!

Come drop by!

Tags
basset hound