Grrr, Dog owner made me mad! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Angry Grrr, Dog owner made me mad!

Okays, so we went out on our normal morning walk today with Indie.
As most of you know we've only had him for a week and a half and he has really warmed up to everyone and his new home with us.
When we first got Indie he showed no interest in other dogs at all, but once the other dogs started to come to him, he got the hang of it and realised that it was okay to say hello to other dogs, however, now he wants to say hello to every dog LOL
Everything was going fine on the walk and we went to a large green where lots of people walk their dogs. No one was about so we let Indie of the lead for a run around. Some man with a tiny little chiuauia (SP?) came over to th green with his dog. So, as Indie does, he ran over to this little dog and they were happily sniffing eachother, Indie doing nothing wrong or the other dog for that matter.
It's owner, however, had other ideas. As we were walking over he was shouting "please, please, put your dog on it's lead"
And we said it was alright because we were coming and he isn't aggressive or going to hurt his dog, but because we didn't rush over to the owners pleading he turned round to us and said " Put your dog on it's lead or I'm going to kick him in the b****!" (and thats just the short version of the word he actually said to our faces!)
I couldn't beleive it! I said "your not touching my dog!"

Grrrr, I'm sooo mad!!
When I got home I was so upset!
Have any of you had any experiances like this before?
xxxxxxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 08-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Leo

I have never experienced another dog owner being that way toward my dogs because I would never let my dogs off leash in public unless I was at a fenced in dog park.

While he should not have said he was going to kick your dog (totally uncalled for)... I can sort of understand where he is coming from in being upset about being approached by a strange dog that was off leash. I don't care what kind of dog it is I am not ok with strange dogs running up to me, unless I am in a fenced in dog park where I know it is going to be an off leash situation. Let me explain why though....

7 years ago my dad was attacked by 3 dogs that tried to kill him (literally), about 6 months after that I was walking my 2 puppies in my yard and 2 Wolf-Hybrids ran into my yard and started attacking them ... A year after that I was in a Pet Store dog obedience class with one of my dogs and one of the other Dogs that attended the class got out of his collar and jumped up on me attacking me almost biting my face if my dog hadn't jumped up to protect me I would have been bit. After those experiences I do not trust loose dogs.

Since you do not know what the guy has been through in his life to make him feel that way about your dog (perhaps he has been attacked by a loose dog before or his dog may have been attacked before?), and because you didn't run right over to get your dog, maybe the guy felt the need to make it clear to get your dog away from him ASAP.

I am a dog lover (I have 2), but I do not like strange dogs being loose around me especially if I have my dog with me. I have to be honest and say that if it were me I would have asked you to put your dog back on it's leash. I wouldn't have said I would kick your dog, but you would know I wasn't happy about being approached by your dog without you being right there, and I would tell you you needed to get it back on the leash right then and there. It's not ok to think just because your dog is 'nice' that it is ok to let him/her run up and approach people or other dogs. No amount of someone telling me their dog isn't going to hurt me or my pet would make it ok for them to let their dog continue to be off leash near me or my dog. Keep in mind that TRUST is a deadly disease when it comes to our pets... what if your dog had bit him or his dog? You could be facing putting your dog to sleep, it is not safe for your dog to let them of leash unless they are in a designated off leash park that is fenced in where everyone there knows there will be loose dogs...

I am a nice person, and I really do love dogs, I ask other dog owners all the time if I can pet their dog (I do ask first though), I am not afraid of dogs, but strange loose dogs do put me on edge.

Sorry the guy was a jerk though... it is NEVER ok to tell someone you are going to kick their pet. That was VERY rude of him to say that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Yeah I know, but I wasn't mad at him for asking me to put my dog on the lead, we were going to do that because we don't usually let him of the lead if there are other dogs and most of the people who go to the big green let their dogs of anyways, I was just upset that he threatened to hurt my dog!
I mean, I understand why he asked me to put Indie on the lead and I was going to do that, I also didn't want to run over because Indie would have thought it was a game as he loves to do this off lead. I just couldn't understand why he'd be so rude!
Anyway, thanks for the reply and sorry to hear about what has happened to you before.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Tags
angry, bad experiances, dog, upset