Guaranteeing against hip dysplasia - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Guaranteeing against hip dysplasia

For those of you who adopted your dog through a breeder, did the breeder offer a guarantee against hip dysplasia or is that something that can not be guaranteed?

Just curious.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I don't know about in America, Denise, but here generally breeders DON'T guarantee against it. However, they say that if your dog DOES come down with any genetic disease, they will help pay the vet bills.

In Finland, however, almost ALL dogs must have their hips checked before the Finnish Kennel Club will even register any puppies from those dogs' litter.

But, I've ever heard of any breeder here GUARANTEEING that the dog would not get hip dysplasia. They can show you all the hip records of the dog's parents, parent's parents, etc., but still won't promise the dog will be hip dysplasia free. Could be different in America, though.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

When I bought Chewy he came with a two year guarantee against congenital defects and hip issues. The breeder I'm looking to get my next one from has a two year guarantee as well. There is also a breeder that has a 5 year guarantee.

While issuing a guarantee is risky, a good breeder will stand behind their animals. If the appropriate testing is done and comes out clean the likelyhood of it is lessened. When you have generations of clean dogs the odds lessen even more.

I won't buy from a breeder that won't offer some form of a guarantee.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thank you for the feedback.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Are you thinking of getting a dog Denise?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Natalie, I have been thinking of getting a dog for some time now. Yesterday, while I was playing with Oscar in my yard, Dave was talking to a guy. I was so involved with Oscar I didn't realize what was going on and before I knew it, Dave said, "Denise, look what I got". I turned around and he had a puppy in his arms, an APBT at that! She was just weaned and oh so cute! I couldn't stop kissing her. She is for sale and I got so caught up in the cuteness of the puppy, I forgot to ask about guaranteeing against hip dysplasia. Anyway, as much as I would love to adopt her, we would first have to ask the owners of our apartment and even if they said yes, no is not the right time for us to get a puppy. Primarily because Dave is working a lot of hours and I haven't been feeling 100% well lately and I simply wouldn't have the energy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That's sooo cool! Ya know...you could always send that puppy to me......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Natalie, you would love her! I felt like squeezing her (the good kind of squeeze ) she is so cute! You would LOVE Oscar too. He is just a hunk!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Pit bulls are my second favorite breed...Can I move in with you?

Tags
hip dysplasia, kennel club, pit bull, pit bulls