Harley is driving me nuts!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Angry Harley is driving me nuts!!

Ok, here's what's going on.

Harley barks. Non stop. She gets attention, but lately it's the bad kind of attention because she's doing something wrong.

We've tried the bark control system that plugs into the wall and emits a sound that only she can hear. It worked for a while, then she got use to it and it stopped working.

I'm at my wits end as to what to do. She knows she's being bad, she looks directly at you when she barks. We've had to resort to leashing her when she's bad. That is the only way she calms down.

She never use to be like this mind you. I don't know if she picked the barking up from my brother-in-law's dog or what. It's a recent thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I think she's barking for attention...she doesn't care wat it is, as long as she is getting it. she is probably looking straight at you cause she's waiting for you to react. Biscuit used to do it constantly...but instead of barking she'd scream!!! You need to give her a time out room, something small and boring, liket he laundry or bathroom. No toys. As soon as she starts to bark, don't look at her don't say a word, just grab her by the collar, lead her into the time out room, close the door and wait. The second she is quiet let her out and praise her with a 'good quiet' You'll need to do this over and over. Everytime she starts barking (unless it's something you want her to bark at, like a stranger in the yard or osmething) repeat this process. Totally ignore her and do not let her out until she is quiet. she could go on for hours so be patient and persevere. The second you yell at her to be quiet, or let her out she has won and will continue to get worse.By praising her with a good quiet, you are teaching her the quiet command and will eventually just be able to say 'quiet' and she'll stop.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions Carmen!

What we were doing for a while is when she was unruly, we'd put her in the hallway until she calmed down. Then we'd let her back in and I'd usually ask "Are you going to be a good girl now?"

Hopefully this works. Right now she's quiet, so I'm wondering if she's sleeping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well I hope the hallway thing works for you! Just make sure she can't see you when she is in the hallway and like I said, don't even look at her, it can be enough for some dogs to keep going.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Oh, she definitely cannot see us when she's in the hallway. I shut the door right away.

I just wish I knew what triggered this sudden change in her. I wonder if she's angry at us because she hasn't been able to go on as many car rides as she did in the summer.