hateful dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
hateful dog?

My dog Sally is 11yr old, medium sized, is the sweetest dog anyone will ever meet, and loves everyone... except me. I don't understand it. since she was 10 she's hated me, just a total 180 from 10 years of love and cuddling, to snarling, growling, and staring contests.
I have no idea what happened. Nothing has changed. Everything is the same as always, except now she hates me. I'll go into the kitchen in the mornings, and the hair on her haunches will spike, she'll growl, and "protect" he food bowl from me.
However, when she gets afraid, or there's no one else in the house, she'll cuddle me and be happy.
What's going on?
LongClaws is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
RAT ADDICT
 
VanillaRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Age: 35
Posts: 19,199
  
It sounds like she is dominant and thinks she is "higher up" then you.You should actually be "higher up" then her,so you will have to show her that she is not in charge.These are dominant issues.

Oh and if you fear her,she can sense that and that just makes things worse.





* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
VanillaRat is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Will It Ever Change?
 
mulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Age: 36
Posts: 7,346
  
yes ditto to vanrat

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
mulder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Rodentologist
 
Jennicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,941
  
I really wouldn't think that a dog would start having dominance issues after 10 years of living with a family. It's possible, but not likely. Have you had a vet workup done for her lately? Any sudden change of behavior has the possibility of having a health component.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jennicat is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser
 
HappyDancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fresno, ca
Age: 44
Posts: 4,020
  
anytime there is a personality change that is drastic or what you would call wierd you should take the dog to the vet for a blood work-up...other than that never back down, stand firm and if its aggression over the food bowl show her you own the food bowl, its yours not hers...and never leave it down all day, just for feeding time and thats it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HappyDancer is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Adolescent Pup
 
rockman0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson, MS
Age: 29
Posts: 219
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
It sounds like she is dominant and thinks she is "higher up" then you.You should actually be "higher up" then her,so you will have to show her that she is not in charge.These are dominant issues.

Oh and if you fear her,she can sense that and that just makes things worse.

She thinks she owns you when it's actually the other way around.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Pet Parent to:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine


My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rockman0 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
RAT ADDICT
 
VanillaRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Age: 35
Posts: 19,199
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
I really wouldn't think that a dog would start having dominance issues after 10 years of living with a family. It's possible, but not likely. Have you had a vet workup done for her lately? Any sudden change of behavior has the possibility of having a health component.
It is possible.
She could be dominant over the poster and because the poster shows fear of being bitten,the dog reacts to that.

It IS possible and she mentioned the dog is aggressive and "hateful" towards her,she never mentioned thats how she was with anyone else.





* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
VanillaRat is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Rodentologist
 
Jennicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,941
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
It is possible.
She could be dominant over the poster and because the poster shows fear of being bitten,the dog reacts to that.

It IS possible and she mentioned the dog is aggressive and "hateful" towards her,she never mentioned thats how she was with anyone else.
Right. I said it was possible, but unlikely. Dogs don't generally shift their dominant positions so drastically, especially after a decade, and with no major household changes, such as new members. The dog may be acting dominant NOW because of her fear of being bitten, but that wouldn't have been there when the problems first started happening.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jennicat is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
It sounds like she is dominant and thinks she is "higher up" then you.You should actually be "higher up" then her,so you will have to show her that she is not in charge.These are dominant issues.

Oh and if you fear her,she can sense that and that just makes things worse.

omg no, I'd never fear her lol. I'm always sure to assert my dominance when she gets like that. I'll tell her to "go to bed" (which is a punishment to her) abut sometimes it may take 2 or 3 times for me to say it until she reluctantly does it. Ever then though, she'll try to stop half way there.
LongClaws is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Right. I said it was possible, but unlikely. Dogs don't generally shift their dominant positions so drastically, especially after a decade, and with no major household changes, such as new members. The dog may be acting dominant NOW because of her fear of being bitten, but that wouldn't have been there when the problems first started happening.

Wait, what? afraid that i'll bite her? why? I've never biten her before.
LongClaws is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Rodentologist
 
Jennicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,941
  
No, you read that wrong. Because of your (theorhetical fear) of being bitten by the dog. I can't imagine anyone would think their dog was afraid of being bitten by them.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jennicat is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
It is possible.
She could be dominant over the poster and because the poster shows fear of being bitten,the dog reacts to that.

It IS possible and she mentioned the dog is aggressive and "hateful" towards her,she never mentioned thats how she was with anyone else.

Ya, the dog is really loving and caring for everyone else.

What posture do you mean? guarding her food? that posture is totally weird, she won't look at me, her tail and head are really low, her hair gets spiked, and she growls.
LongClaws is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
No, you read that wrong. Because of your (theorhetical fear) of being bitten by the dog. I can't imagine anyone would think their dog was afraid of being bitten by them.

lol, oh god no! I have no fear of being biten by her! If she has something by her mouth, and is growling when i try to take it, i'll still take it, and once i do, she'll shut up.
LongClaws is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post

She thinks she owns you when it's actually the other way around.

i doubt it. she'll still do what i say, and she leaves the room if i come in, rather than trying to chase me out.
LongClaws is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
anytime there is a personality change that is drastic or what you would call wierd you should take the dog to the vet for a blood work-up...other than that never back down, stand firm and if its aggression over the food bowl show her you own the food bowl, its yours not hers...and never leave it down all day, just for feeding time and thats it


No, that would be stupid for us. she's had the bowl down and filled 24/7 her entire life, she only eats when we eat though, and she watches her weight lol.
LongClaws is offline  
Reply

Tags
food bowl, vet visit


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome