hateful dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

hateful dog?

My dog Sally is 11yr old, medium sized, is the sweetest dog anyone will ever meet, and loves everyone... except me. I don't understand it. since she was 10 she's hated me, just a total 180 from 10 years of love and cuddling, to snarling, growling, and staring contests.
I have no idea what happened. Nothing has changed. Everything is the same as always, except now she hates me. I'll go into the kitchen in the mornings, and the hair on her haunches will spike, she'll growl, and "protect" he food bowl from me.
However, when she gets afraid, or there's no one else in the house, she'll cuddle me and be happy.
What's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
RAT ADDICT

It sounds like she is dominant and thinks she is "higher up" then you.You should actually be "higher up" then her,so you will have to show her that she is not in charge.These are dominant issues.

Oh and if you fear her,she can sense that and that just makes things worse.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yes ditto to vanrat

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Rodentologist

I really wouldn't think that a dog would start having dominance issues after 10 years of living with a family. It's possible, but not likely. Have you had a vet workup done for her lately? Any sudden change of behavior has the possibility of having a health component.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

anytime there is a personality change that is drastic or what you would call wierd you should take the dog to the vet for a blood work-up...other than that never back down, stand firm and if its aggression over the food bowl show her you own the food bowl, its yours not hers...and never leave it down all day, just for feeding time and thats it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
It sounds like she is dominant and thinks she is "higher up" then you.You should actually be "higher up" then her,so you will have to show her that she is not in charge.These are dominant issues.

She thinks she owns you when it's actually the other way around.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
I really wouldn't think that a dog would start having dominance issues after 10 years of living with a family. It's possible, but not likely. Have you had a vet workup done for her lately? Any sudden change of behavior has the possibility of having a health component.
It is possible.
She could be dominant over the poster and because the poster shows fear of being bitten,the dog reacts to that.

It IS possible and she mentioned the dog is aggressive and "hateful" towards her,she never mentioned thats how she was with anyone else.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
It is possible.
She could be dominant over the poster and because the poster shows fear of being bitten,the dog reacts to that.

It IS possible and she mentioned the dog is aggressive and "hateful" towards her,she never mentioned thats how she was with anyone else.
Right. I said it was possible, but unlikely. Dogs don't generally shift their dominant positions so drastically, especially after a decade, and with no major household changes, such as new members. The dog may be acting dominant NOW because of her fear of being bitten, but that wouldn't have been there when the problems first started happening.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

omg no, I'd never fear her lol. I'm always sure to assert my dominance when she gets like that. I'll tell her to "go to bed" (which is a punishment to her) abut sometimes it may take 2 or 3 times for me to say it until she reluctantly does it. Ever then though, she'll try to stop half way there.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Right. I said it was possible, but unlikely. Dogs don't generally shift their dominant positions so drastically, especially after a decade, and with no major household changes, such as new members. The dog may be acting dominant NOW because of her fear of being bitten, but that wouldn't have been there when the problems first started happening.

Wait, what? afraid that i'll bite her? why? I've never biten her before.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Rodentologist

No, you read that wrong. Because of your (theorhetical fear) of being bitten by the dog. I can't imagine anyone would think their dog was afraid of being bitten by them.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It is possible.

Ya, the dog is really loving and caring for everyone else.

What posture do you mean? guarding her food? that posture is totally weird, she won't look at me, her tail and head are really low, her hair gets spiked, and she growls.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No, you read that wrong. Because of your (theorhetical fear) of being bitten by the dog. I can't imagine anyone would think their dog was afraid of being bitten by them.

lol, oh god no! I have no fear of being biten by her! If she has something by her mouth, and is growling when i try to take it, i'll still take it, and once i do, she'll shut up.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post

She thinks she owns you when it's actually the other way around.

i doubt it. she'll still do what i say, and she leaves the room if i come in, rather than trying to chase me out.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
anytime there is a personality change that is drastic or what you would call wierd you should take the dog to the vet for a blood work-up...other than that never back down, stand firm and if its aggression over the food bowl show her you own the food bowl, its yours not hers...and never leave it down all day, just for feeding time and thats it

No, that would be stupid for us. she's had the bowl down and filled 24/7 her entire life, she only eats when we eat though, and she watches her weight lol.

Tags
food bowl, vet visit