Have puppy, need some advice. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Have puppy, need some advice.

I just got a puppy, he's 6 weeks old, maybe older not sure. My MIL gave him to me. I know 6 weeks is still a little too young but he seems to be doing a-ok. He eats well, for a puppy at least and drinks plenty of water.
He hadn't pooped since yesterday and I got worried, but he officially did his first poop just about 10 minutes ago, I did rub the warm wash cloth on his booty though. He's been peeping just fine too. But I just need some advice on taking care of him. He's a big ol' pup, he's not a small one; so this stuff is kind of new to me.

I also have a 1 1/2 year old Chihuahua, who has taken a particular "liking " to the puppy. He's never been around other dogs, so I know it's normal for him to react in that manner. But how do I teach my older dog to respect the new puppy. (it's only going to be a problem for a while, the puppy, Scooby, will eventually outgrow my Peanut.) But I still want Peanut to know that he needs to respect Scooby-Doo. How do I go about training him to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

First, congratulations on your new pup, what's his name? To make him more comfortable with new home, have something like crate or bed he will call his own. Then let them always have fun on their first few meeting, have something for them to play and treats to enjoy so they have positive vibes around, and don't forget to supervise them more often to avoid bad habits or fighting.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Newborn Pup

Your dog. And that poor nephew. Luckily chewing can be controlled. SO she bits the nephew? Ok, tell the nephew that next timet he dog gets him he shouldust yell 'OW!' loudly and stalk off and ignore the dog like he's really injured and the dog commited some horrid crime. Good for you, you have chew toys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Newborn Pup

Hey,your peanut seems to be doing well.It happens naturally.I have three pugs and all do **** all the time.You can buy a new home for your dog from our store.Check us out at Rescue pet store.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_Scooby View Post
I just got a puppy, he's 6 weeks old, maybe older not sure. My MIL gave him to me. I know 6 weeks is still a little too young but he seems to be doing a-ok. He eats well, for a puppy at least and drinks plenty of water.
He hadn't pooped since yesterday and I got worried, but he officially did his first poop just about 10 minutes ago, I did rub the warm wash cloth on his booty though. He's been peeping just fine too. But I just need some advice on taking care of him. He's a big ol' pup, he's not a small one; so this stuff is kind of new to me.

I also have a 1 1/2 year old Chihuahua, who has taken a particular "liking " to the puppy. He's never been around other dogs, so I know it's normal for him to react in that manner. But how do I teach my older dog to respect the new puppy. (it's only going to be a problem for a while, the puppy, Scooby, will eventually outgrow my Peanut.) But I still want Peanut to know that he needs to respect Scooby-Doo. How do I go about training him to do so?

Actually, you don;t have much to worry about. They will naturally achieve an equilibrium with each other. If they do not, and they fight, *you* must become the alpha and make sure it does not happen.

Also, if they rough house, make sure they do not hurt each other. But try to allow it, because this is a major stress relief for them. Not only that, but it helps them to maintain their pack status. I let my dogs play and tangle, and if I fight ever happens, I only need to say, "No." and it's over, just like that.

With pent up feelings, fights can get bad.

Tags
advice, puppy