Health insurance for dogs? Also, new pic - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wink Health insurance for dogs? Also, new pic

Hi! I've been gone due to illness, but I have a couple of questions. First of all, is there a good health insurance out there for pets? My dog (who currently seems to have worthless insurance) has some sort of disorder where his eyelids are turned under, so they're irritating his eyes. I use a luke-warm wet rag to gently wipe his eyes, and the surgery is about $300. He is a service dog, so I really don't want him uncomfortable.

One other question...Charlie seems to want to play-bite with me. I tried directing his attention. Do I get up and literally walk away when this happens? Perhaps go into another room? I'm just curious, that's all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg let's play3.jpg (41.6 KB, 18 views)

the only harm in not trying is failure before you begin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well let's see, I don't know much about it but my dogs are on Veterinary Pet Insurance and so far it seems pretty good. That pic of Charlie is very cute! I have no good advice on the play biting, but I am sure someone will come along.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My neighbor's dog, that my friend and I always walk, is still a puppy and used to play bit a lot! Whenever he did this we would firmly say no and stop playing with him until he calmed down. This worked as far as I know, because his owners do the same thing. Just let him know who's in charge in a nice way.
Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Also, I'm checking into the vet insurance. So far, it seems like a good bet. I've also tried walking away and saying 'no' when I do...or I turn my back. It seems to be working.

Thanks for the compliment on the picture!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I forgot to add how cute your dog is! He's sooo cute! Can I have him? I'll be really nice to him...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Um...no. Though, I will admit he was a turd today. He's been the subject of several dogs wanting to go after him lately, but I didn't understand why. I put myself between a couple of dogs, mainly my neighbor's dog (not on a leash) because their dog became aggressive. This afternoon my dog had enough and tried to take it out on another dog, so I immediately purchased a prong collar for him. However, I know it was best thing for him. He was the perfect doggie all the way home. I left it slack, and kept the gentle leader on him and focused on that.

I think he was just tired of being the one singled out or picked on by other dogs. Regardless, I won't put up with it. I did what I had to, but keep it slack and if he does lunge or anything, he does it to himself. To be truthful, I think he figured out it was male dogs who weren't fixed that singled him out, and the dog he singled out today wasn't fixed. (He, by the way, is)

I love him dearly, and no, he normally isn't aggressive at all. However, I know enough to know (even if I am new to dogs), that if a dog shows any signs of it, it must be addressed right away. So, there's my day in a nut shell!

I still love my doggie though...and nope, ain't willing to give 'em up.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have VPI insurance for one of my dogs (long story why only one) and I'm happy I have the coverage if needed. They won't cover anything PRE-existing though when you sign up so you may need to cover the costs of any of his eye issues.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure all this out. They thought in this case they might because I adopted him full grown. Not sure, but the Rotary club may help. Even if I can get quite a bit of it covered, I can manage the rest.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:31 PM

The aggression may be due to the size of Charlie. My g/f's dog doesn't take to bigger dogs.

I posted about the biting thing a few threads back but try pressing down on his tongue to slightly gag him and tell him NO BITE. My g/f's sister was told to use this method with her Laberdoodle and my puppy no longer bites except if you get a finger in the way while playing. He loves to give kisses instead.