Heartworm prevention - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Heartworm prevention

What do you use and why? How have your pups tolerated it?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We use to use Heartguard which all of our dogs did well with. Then we switched to the "one shot every 6 months" deal which I thought was fantastic because we never forgot to 'dose them' but on my last vet visit I was told it had been recalled and therefore no longer available...that kind of freaked me out...and now we're back to heartguard

- Deb

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:10 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

We use Interceptor. All of my doggies are on it, we've never had any problems with it.

~ Jodi ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

When the dogs were babies, with the vets puppy package, they gave you heartworm pills for each month for four months, they were Interceptor. They did great on them...now we have them on Heartguard...I only use this now because they have a chewable form that my dogs think are treats...with Harlie I have to find something that she will devour, because before she would take so long licking the pill and checking it out that Max would eat hers too before I could get to him. Little Fatty!! So I tried around with a couple types and found that Har eats these up. Its saving me money not having to buy extra heartworm pills all the time because Max steals them. Ha ha...

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Off the top of my head, I can't remember what I gave my pups. Going to have to ask my family, since Myrl still takes the same stuff.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I was just thinking how funny this must look, with me working at a vet clinic. We don't do any routine care (vaccines, etc.) so I don't deal with stuff like this at all. I'm going to ask the doc tonight what she recommends, but thought I'd get some opinions from you all too.

Stephanie

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I got free Heartguard at the clinic from the rep. earlier this year. I have one more month left, before that I used Interceptor and after this month I plan to use Interceptor again. Niki has always been on Interceptor only.

I like the Internal Parasite protection you get with Interceptor.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I have Harley on Heartguard.

I like the fact that it comes in chewable form. If it was a pill, we'd literally have to bribe her to take it.

But with it being chewable, she chews it up in no time.

Karen

[

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Miss New Booty

We use Interceptor. My vet recommended it to us, and they love it!
Interceptor is a really small pill, but they crunch it right up. I think the vet said it's supposed to even taste like beef, too, that's why they like it.

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:42 PM

I use Heartguard Plus.

A few weeks ago there was an article in the local paper that there was a recall on ProHeart 6 (think thats the name of it). Thats the shot that was supposed to protect your dog from heartworm for 6 months but apparently has some adverse side affects so I would say not to choose that one.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

We were using the Heartguard Plus, and it worked great :thumsbup:
Recently we switched though due to Beau and Dakota's flea allergy thing, we are now using Stronghold which is the U.K.'s version of Revolution.
REVOLUTION contains Selamectin - an effective endectocide. Kills adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae and helps alleviate clinical signs of flea allergy dermatitis. As a bonus REVOLUTION is also effective for the prevention of heartworm disease and the treatment and control of ear mites and sarcoptic mange in dogs. Safe for use in puppies as young as 6 weeks, breeding and nursing animals, Avermection sensitive collies and heartworm positive dogs. Easy to administer, low-volume, non-greasy once a month topical application.
Active ingredient: Selamectin.

the only downside is it doesn't have tick prevention, but right now we aren't worried about ticks and we will do further research for the prevention to use with the stronghold. So it is good that it covers alot and is cheaper in the long run, but is bad because it doesn't protect agains ticks, however with us not having frontline plus available to us here we had to what was best for the dog's as regular frontline did NOT work.
But if you just want regular heartworm protection, Heartguard Plus worked great

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I use Interceptor for both of mine. i have to put them in some peanut butter, but they take it easily.

Hey guys - wasn't there a discussion about one of the kinds of HW preventative that wasn't good for the animals. i think it was Advantix, but Advantage was OK. ??? do you guys remember that?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 03:46 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane I think it was the flea control because I remember talking about revolution and thought that was the one that I had Tabitha on years ago and it was bad for her, but found out it was another kind (can't remember now).

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:23 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

well, i'm almost sure it was HW prevention cause i remember there being a big discussion about how advanTIX is totally different from advanTAGE. hmm... the lost thread!!!! it's lost........foreveeeeer!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

oh where oh where can thread be??? oh where oh where has it gone???

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
ear mites, vet clinic, vet visit