Hello everyone, this is my first time!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Hello everyone, this is my first time!!

I have a question if anyone can help. My dog is two years old and going in to be neutered tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on how to make his recovery period better for him. We will be home with him tomorrow after the sugery but he will be by himself the rest of the week until around 1 in the afternoon.

Last edited by semperfigirl; 04-14-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: mispelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Welcome to Paw-Talk!

As for recovery, just make sure he stays as quiet as possible (you may want to confine him to one area while you're gone), eats and drinks normally once the vet gives you the OK to feed him, and that there is no swelling/redness/discharge at the incision site. You may want to take home an e-collar from the vet in case he starts licking the area, too.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for that advice..... Hey I am a retired female Marine, I noticed your pic. My husband is due to retire in May this year. OOH RAH!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Will It Ever Change?

hi and welcome! thank you for your service

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Welcome to Paw-Talk... Jade gave the best advice there is. Just keep your eye on the incision and make sure nothing is oozy or gooey coming from it. And if you think your pooch is likely to lick (which can lead to infection) make sure to get an e-collar. He'll probably hate the thing, but it'll be best for him.

You can also distract him with a kong stuffed with peanut butter and treats, bones stuffed with cheese, some new toys of his favorite kind... He'll be better before you know it, but be careful with him for around a week to ten days. Thats what I was told, and we just had my dog neutered a few days ago.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfigirl View Post
Thanks so much for that advice..... Hey I am a retired female Marine, I noticed your pic. My husband is due to retire in May this year. OOH RAH!!!!!!!!!
My husband just returned from Iraq last week, hence the pic. Welcome to PT! Nice to have some more of the Marine 'family' around here.

Stephanie