Hello! New to this thread! (with a question) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

Hello! New to this thread! (with a question)

Hello everyone! I am new to this thread! I post mostly in Mouse/Rat discussions, but I have been an avid dog lover since I was a baby!

However, I have only owned one dog my whole life (Kiska, a Golden who is now 12 ), and I am going to be graduating from college soon and getting my own apartment, and Kiska is going to stay with my aunt, with whom I live now.

So anyway...down the road, my boyfriend and I want to each get a dog for the apartment we are moving to, and I am getting a long-haired Chihuahua. The thing is, my boyfriend wants to get a Rottie!
...I know that many large and toy dogs have lived together in harmony, so I just wanted to ask everyone here for their opinions on this specific brother/sister-hood. Would it work? Would the Rottie hurt my dog? Would they get along?

THANKS all! And I hope to be posting and reading here more!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't think taking a rottie to an apartment would be a very good idea. They need lots of room and exercise. Unless you can get an apartment that has a large yard and are able to give the rottie plenty of exercise I'd be holding off on that one! But yes a chi and a rottie should go together fine, with proper introductions and all the rest. They'll just need to learn how to play with each other so the rottie doesn't hurt the chi.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

Thank you! Yeah, we actually wouldn't be getting him when we got the apartment, we would be waiting until I graduate from graduate school and then we'd be moving with the chi to a nice section of PA. But thanks for the info! Cuz you are definately right about him needing a lot more room than we could provide currently!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I have a big German Shepherd and a 5 lb chihuahua and an 8 lb YorkieMix. They all get along great. They all play together great. I've had anothe GSD who got along with my Yorkie just fine too (in fact they were best friends and she was devasted when we lost him) so I've been lucky that I've never had a problem with the size differences. In fact the Yorkie (Snooper) is the alpha of our dogs.

Little dogs learn quickly to get out of the way, of everything... feet, doors, big dogs, etc. You have to be really careful when they're pups though. Especially with the little Chi's, they can be hurt real easy.

Manto (GSD) is very gentle with Tito (Chihuahua) and we often find them cuddling. He does run him over accidently when he's excited and Tito can't get out of the way in time. You just have to watch them.

I don't really know how a Rottie and a Chi would do together. All I know is that I haven't had any problems with my guys.

Here's a pic of Manto & Tito cuddling...

This one is kinda grainy but it was taken in the dark, I didn't want to wake them. Tito is in Manto's arms and Snooper is across his head. LOL

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

HeHeHe...Jodi I just love those pics
Yup I agree with what Jodi said .... We have several Rotties and believe me they need room to run, glad to know you won't be getting one until you actually get a house but size usually isn't a factor where dog's are concerned, like Jodi said the little one's usually learn real quick to get out of the way

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

Thank you all! And I looooovvvveee those pics! They are ADORABLE!

-Tare

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with what's already been said. As a matter of fact, over Christmas we had a rottie and chi come in for boarding together and we had to put them in the same run together because the owner said the rottie would cry without his little chi around! They were inseperatable!
As for a rottie in an apartment...most apartments won't allow a rottie anyway. If you can find one that would, I'd be REALLY surprised. They really would do better in a house with a yard. Maybe finding a house for rent that will allow the rottie could be an option for you? Many times depending on where you are, it's cheaper to rent a house than an apartment anyway

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I don't think it's impossible to have a rottweiler in an apartment. However, you would have to go on DAILY runs so they can burn the proper amount of energy. Kirby, my husband's Samoyed, lived in an apartment with him for three years until we got a house last year. Sami had to take Kirby on daily VERY long walks/runs and we made weekly trips to the dog park.

It's possible, though not easy.

As for the size difference, I think they could get along fine as long as the rottie is taught to respect smaller dogs and treat them gently.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Newborn Pup

my uncle has an enoumous black lab and a tiny pomerainian. he got his pom-pom, Yogie-Bear, first and then his got his lab, Sadie-May. Yogie is more dominate over Sadie and they get along great. Yogie has never been seriously but every once in a while sadie gets a bit too rough but all in all, no harm done.

3 dogs:3 year old Albert, 4 year old Sampson, and Nero the 2 month old baby

1 cat:12 year old Kimba
1 hamster: 2 year old Sara **happy birthday Sara!** :party:
1 mouse: 1 year old Pequeno
3 fish (plus many many more): Viper, Spotty, and Spot

Tags
black lab, dog park, german shepherd