help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

help!

I can't believe what Biscuit just did! She got hold of some cooked chicken bones and ate them! Now I'm freaking out. I had a quarter of a chicken and vegetables for lunch and Biscuit took the chicken carcass right off my plate. She did gulp it down real quick cause I only heard one crunch and I jumped up to stop her and it was all gone.

I can not, can not afford to have her operated on if these bones get stuck on the way through so I need help. what can I give her to help them pass? I know we had suggestions at work for people but of course I'm just panicking and can't think of anything right now. I know they're not guaranteed to be stuck but I'll be watching her closely over the next couple of days to make sure she is eating and pooing.
I also will give her slushy meals, so that if a bone gets stuck there's not more bones (raw ones) trying to pass as well.

Any suggestions and all the vibes in the world will be greatly appreciated...I just feel sooooo guilty.

I just wanted to add that while I'm saying we can't afford to have them removed if they get stuck we'll borrow the money. she won't be left to suffer but I do know how expensive it is, and the thought of that bill is scary!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Last edited by RSbunny; 05-30-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I need to add that I just found a big chunk of the chicken...It looks like she only managed to pull the actual wing off and eat that. That's got to be better right?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, how scary! Of course I have no experience when it comes to dogs ingesting cooked chicken bones but I would think eating a wing is a heck of a lot better than eating the entire carcass! Sending Biscuit nonclutter vibes.

She is a fast one!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Part of the Pack

Well, I know my boyfriend's dog has chicken bones all the time and nothing has ever happened to her. Of course, she doesn't just gulp them down. I would just watch her and see if she keeps going to the bathroom and if she eats. I'm not sure what you can do to make sure they don't get stuck anywhere.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks for the well wishes. After I had a chance to calm down I remembered that we give dogs parrifin oil at work if they get a bit clogged, to try and help move things along. I did a poop scoop around the yard yesterday so at least I'll know when she does a fresh one (still working on getting her to poo in front of me)

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Carmen, that's got to be scary! I know Tim is dead set against feeding any animals chicken bones as they are often very fragile that they break and can cause choking.

I hope she passes them through without any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Bex, I give Biscuit raw chicken bones but not cooked! Cooked chicken bones are bad!

I can report that she just went outside and passed faeces, in front of me! She hasn't been willing to pass faeces in front of me for a couple of weeks now but tonight she went out and passed them with ease. It has only been about 4 hours since she ate the chicken wing so I'm not getting my hopes up too high yet but I was happy to see that bowel movement! She also just downed a very slimy blended salmon/vegetable dinner with extra oils.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope she passes whatever of the chicken bones she got a hold of! Im keeping my fingers crossed for ya Carm!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Miss New Booty

OH no, Carm! I hope everything is ok! Poor Biscuit and poor you!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Lots and lots of fiber. Rice, canned pumpkin, bran, etc. That'll help push things through, keep the gut moving.

Best wishes for a safe 'passing.'

Stephanie

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks Steph!!! I gave her rice last night after her dinner, cause I remembered when Nacho ate the contents of frontline (yeah great dogs I have hey! lol) they told me to get the fibre into him too to get it to pass so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!!! I'll keep you all updated!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, I am glad to hear Biscuit had a bowel movement. And she went in front of you too! Sounds like you are doing everything possible to ensure she doesn't stay clogged.

BTW, I was so tired last night I didn't realize I said "non clutter" vibes! I was up waaay past my bedtime and that is what I get!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

~~good luck vibes~~

Rhonda

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Densie I didn't even notice!! You might have been up past your bed time but I'm pregnant...my brain never functions!!!

Thanks Rhonda. I don't think I'll really breathe easy until the weekend cause I know it can take a few days for symptoms to show but the more bm's I see the happier I'll be.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

had to report...she's had another bm in the last hour (been outside for that long sun baking). I know it's hers cause her and Cindy have completely different looking faeces and it's definently biscuit's and it's normal looking too.