Help - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyPokey
If the dog tries to destroy other things, ie. your house, when he cannot get at your clothes or from boredom, wouldn't you rather him destroy toys? If he can find **HIS** toys with your scent on them he may be kept busy enough from trying to find YOUR stuff to chew.

but you MUST keep your stuff out of reach. Put hampers on dressers or on the washer and dryer, etc.

I wonder if it is out of boredom he does this. He is a pretty laid back dog. There are times he does it and times he doesn't. It also can be that we're only gone 30 and sometimes it has been more then 8 hours. There was one time we were gone for 12 hours and no problems. I don't think its boredom but I could be wrong.

I wonder too about him distroying other things. Its just my husband is worried we're going to give him mixed signals doing this. He had such a hard life before coming to us we really judge are actions around him. But we're not letting issues go cause of it. Rules and boundaries have been set for him here. We had to retrain him to potty from his experence with the people who had him before us. He knows he wouldn't get away with this with us home. We're just at a lost how to stop something thats done with us not around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Well get all of your clothes and laundry, shoes, etc off the floors and beds and such. And see what he does then. Give him the option of toys. I'd see if he likes peanut butter or cheese or something, if he does, make it a HUGE deal when you give it to him. Get him all excited and stuff whenever you give him that treat so that he thinks "OH MAN THIS IS AWESOME I'M GETTING PEANUT BUTTER!!!"
Then when you put it in the kong show it to him and let him get a few licks (you want to put it towards the bigger hole where he can get his tongue in) and then let him at it.

Don't always put the PB (or cheese) in the kong, just when you might have to be gone a long time, or he seems extra depressed/lonely/sad (whatever he's feeling when he chews your clothes).
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 PM

I know when I watch The Dog Whisperer Ceasar says not to think about what happened to the dog in the past but to focus on what has to be done in the present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Yeah, if you have (is it National Geographic channel?) you should definitely watch Caesar! I love watching him, and after a few eps you'll realize that it's SUCH common sense. You just gotta think about the dog and how they think and see the world. Not coddle them but be in charge, calm dominance.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Yeah it is National Geographic and he definitely has wonderful methods. He has a book out too called Ceasars Way. Anytime I love on Reggie now it is only when he is "calm and submissive"
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Sorry it's been such a long time since I posted but I wanted to stop in and thank everyone who gave us advice on the chewing problem. Smeagol has been doing TONS better. I think I have found only one thing he was going to chew but didn't since the last time I was on!

I decided last saturday that Smeagol needed a playmate and went in search for a buddy for him. We looked and looked at all the local Humane Shelters and Rescues but couldn't find a buddy he and we liked. We broked down and went to a local pet store. I know how some feel about adopting an dog from a pet store but I don't think those innocent animals should be ignored cause of human jerks. We all feel in love with a 3 month old Pomeranian.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I'm glad that you are finding some solutions.

Another option is - if a crate won't work, what about an open-top playpen? You could set it up in a bathroom or in the kitchen (a place with a hard floor). KEEP IN MIND, though, that you may have better luck if the new puppy is in there with him.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 AM
Still Waiting

I would think that he is chewing your clothes because they have your scent on them. Whenever you are away he probably misses you and feels that you are close whenever he smells the scent.

I would also suggest what someone said above and try to put him in one room while you are out. Preferably one where there is not much to destroy? Or without clothes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed

Tags
local pet store, pet store, shih tzu