Help!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Angry Help!!!

How do i train my two dogs to go pee and poo out side???? every morning i have the same messes to clean up and it is driving me nutz. the oldest dog Max used to bark at the door when he wanted to go outside but after we got squirt (he lives up to his name) they both pee and poo in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Hello Earthling

Did you housetrain them when you first got them???

Bring them outside every hour and praise them when they relive themselves outside. Crate training them will also help with house training.

How old are they?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah crate training would be a good idea. You can also take away food and water after a certain time to avoid them having to go while you're still asleep or not at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah start with crate training them, then routine/schedule like potty break 30 mins after every meal. You should also totally clean up where they used to poop and pee, because they will tend to poop or pee again on the spots where they smell the scents.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

They poop/pee everywhere.... Every morning it somewhere new
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Yeah start with crate training them, then routine/schedule like potty break 30 mins after every meal. You should also totally clean up where they used to poop and pee, because they will tend to poop or pee again on the spots where they smell the scents.
cute dog btw
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Hello Earthling

We need more information then just " they pee and poo everywhere "

What steps have you taken to correct this problem? How long has it been going on? How old are the dogs? Where did you get them? Have you had them checked by a vet? How often do you let them out? How often and how long do you walkthem for? Etc...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Max is about 8 (human years) and Squirt is about 6 (human years). We have been taking them out every other hour. Max was trained to go outside but when we got his little bro (they have the same parents) max stopped going outside. They are Shih Tzus. this has been going on since we got Squirt. They get checked by a vet once a year. We walk both dogs everother day for about an hour.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried crate training? How do you react when you catch them going in the house (if you catch them in the act) and do you praise them or maybe even offer a treat if they go outside?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

they hide under the table or in theyre pens. and they get treats for going outside
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

why dont you put some news paper down at the back door, so they have an idea where to go?

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Hello Earthling

Start taking them out EVERY DAY. They could be bored and unstimulated so they are acting out just like children.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

When you catch them going in the house, tell them no and take them outside. If they finish going outside, reward them. They should not be able to sneak away and hide to go to the bathroom. Try your hardest to keep an eye on them - if you can't for a little while, put them in their crates. Yes it is a lot of work watching them constantly, but the result is worth it!

And I agree, they should be getting out for walks every day.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Hello Earthling

Another thing you could do is tie a leash around your waste so they will hVe to follow you around and you'll catch them in the act.