Help with Chipper - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja
Sorry to be so long winded but I believe I am missing a vital part of this puzzle -
Where is Chipper when you aren't home? Are you confining him? Does he have free run of the house?
How long is he left alone when you are at work, school, running errands, etc? I understand that no one can be home 24/7 with their animals - but there needs to be a set consistant plan put in place for when you are away. This is for Chipper's safety, sense of security and the safety of your belongings that could be potentially ruined - and as I said - harm Chipper should he chew something dangerous.
Just today we decided to let him have the bedroom while we're gone and see how he does and when we came home he had done both his duties on his pad. So now we'll let him have the bedroom when we're gone. The longest he's alone is 2, maybe 3 hrs. My bf and I only have 2 classes a day and we each have a night class but on different nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Had a big issue today with the animal shelter coming to take Chipper cuz they found out he lives here and the office not letting me have him even though I was told I could have him with a doctors note. They claim they changed the rules after I was told that but before I got the dog. So..I made it a legal issue and resolved everything. Chipper is now my service dog for therapy for depression so it's the law that they have to allow me to have him, even if the rule is no dogs. So, now we don't have to hide him, he can be out and about and get fresh air and whatever he needs.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well I don't know how you managed to swing that but I'm glad that Chipper can be outdoors and all....just a question, how did the shelter find out he was there?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

They found out cuz I found Chipper on petfinder.com and was stupid enough to join the forum on that site and the lady was tracking the site and found out.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:11 PM

So I guess you didn't learn any lessons about not lying.

Are you sure you're prepared to take on an older dog with issues? Especially seeing how you're not showing a willingness to take advice or answer questions that could help you? I sincerely hope you give this a lot of thought. The breed you chose has a lot of unique characteristics and I would suggest you start researching.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Tutebugs, I am speechless. I don't know why people continue to shock me, I should be used to it by now, but I think you have gone and taken the proverbial cake.

I've invested a lot of time and thought into giving you honest, heartfelt advice, yet you continue to evade and refuse to answer any of my direct questions. You alone have brought this all to the table and I hope you are at least honorable enough to answer what I feel everyone has the right to know.

How on earth did you manage to lie, decieve and manipulate, in the span of a few hours, to get a shelter dog with documented behavioral issues licensed as a therapy dog? I am sure there are a lot of people who would love to know the answer to this because they would love to have their dog licensed as a therapy dog too. Can you please tell us?

I am sure there are those of us who want to know how you have the audacity to lie and manipulate an application to adopt a dog from a shelter in the first place? Also - what is the exact procedure for decieving the management of your apartment complex? Let's see if I can make some sense out of this entire fiasco - all at an innocent dog's expense... hrrm..

You didn't meet the shelter's requirement for living quarters because your apartment complex has rules that deny occupants from owning and keeping dogs, so you lied.

You adopted a dog with documented behavioral issues and you stated that the dog bit your boyfriend today. This came as no surprise because in a previous posting you mentioned that you were told the dog was a *biter* and you seemed quite happy that the dog hadn't bitten either of you, *yet*.

You asked for specific help from honest caring people on this forum, and you were given time, consideration and advice from honest reliable people who were willing to make an investment in trying to help you.

You out and out lied in order to obtain the dog. You obviously lied to keep the dog - and at what cost? You have totally lost all credibility with me. I do not believe that you were able to pull this off. I would like to know, how can you lay your head down and sleep at night knowing that you have carefully constructed a pack of lies in order to keep a dog who would be much better off in the loving care of someone honest, credible and willing to do whatever it takes to give this innocent animal a better life?
What does this animal mean to you, Tutebugs? Is he another notch in your bedpost of lies and manipulations? A self serving toy to play with for a few months until you realize you are in way over your head and can't deal with an animal who has behavioral issues?
Or wait, maybe he will bite an innocent child and you will lie your way out of a lawsuit?
Until now I have given you the benefit of the doubt as I watched you give away and trade pets because they didn't fit into your ever changing life plan. I can only predict future behavior based on past behavior. Based on this, I can only predict that the poor innocent dog that is now counting on you for his life will be just another temporary throw-away pet. One that you somehow managed to lie, cheat and decieve a lot of people to get and keep.

I've also somehow told myself that your often abrasive nature was my perception and I should give you the benefit of the doubt in that area too. After what I have experienced with you the past few days I realize I was very wrong, it was not my perception, but the reality. Maybe your attitude is such because you filter your deception through your abrasive nature, taking the focus off the issue at hand and putting it on the hurt feelings you inflict. Have you hurt my feelings? Yes. Lies and deception hurt when I have put forth an honest effort in caring and trying to help, then get smacked in the face with the truth, in this case - the entire situation with you and your poor dog.

So, please- tell me - What is the exact procedure for getting a doctor to say you need a dog?
What is the exact procedure and what channels and avenues did you persue in order to get your dog documented as an official Therapy Dog? How did you do this in a matter of hours?
Who temperament tested and trained the dog to do therapy work? Who trained you to be a certified handler of a therapy dog? I am sure we would all like to know because there are many people who would love to persue this as a line of volunteer work. If we could do this in a matter of hours, wow- can you imagine all the working Therapy Dogs that could be helping people?

How did you get a therapy license for a dog obtained through lies and deception, who has documented behavioral issues and who in fact bit someone today? How did he pass the temperament test? What was the exact testing procedure?
That's of great interest to me.

Now you are being trusted with the life of an innocent animal. One that is in dire need of obedience training, behavior modification and a loving, positive stable environment. I really hope you are at peace with the twisted web you have created because now all your efforts must lie in providing the exacting care your dog so desperately needs.

So please, for once don't evade my inquiries, answer my questions directly and honestly, because I really want to know how you were able to pull this off.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I had wondered that myself Deja...I'm curious to know too tutebugs so please tell us.

post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Oh and one more thing....I'm not meaning to attack you or anything Tutebugs so please don't get defensive but I'm just curious as to whether you are going to address his men hating problems or are you not too concerned about it?? what does your bf think about getting bitten and how are you planning on disciplining Chipper for it?? Again I don't want to sound like i'm attacking you I just like to learn how people train their dogs nd what they see as accepted behaviour....it's an interest of mine.

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh really? Wow that is great! I had been thinking about training Jasmine to be a therapy dog, can you tell me how you can go about getting the dog certified within a few hours?!?! I know I would really like to know!!!! As I learned on the phone from the instuctor, she needed training in the basic obedience class for about 6-8 weeks and then an additional training for another 6-8 weeks and then she had to pass the exams. Maybe it's a FL thing, who knows?
So, this means if I have a Dr's note for depression I can get a dog to be my *legal service dog* hmmm very interesting! Especially one that bites, too. That was a strong point she did make to me on the phone, the dog had to prove to have NO aggression, which I would think means biting as well.
I'm sorry, I can't understand why if you knew dogs weren't allowed in your complex, why bring the dog home and lie to the organization? When adopting my first 2 cats, I lived at home with my parents. Even though I was 21, the lady at the adoption organization had to CALL my mom and get the OK that the cats were allowed in my house, even though I was 21 and said it was fine. THATS how strict they were. I don't get how you could lie about that, or why you would even want to risk that. I really hope that for Chippers sake everything works out.
It is really bothersome, b/c you keep asking for help, someone TRIES to help, Deja has helped tons, and you go right onto something else, without even answering everyone's questions. Not once have I seen a thank you anywhere in your posts, just uncalled for remarks back or a totally different problem. Deja, along with the rest of us, have been trying to help you.

~* Jackie *~

post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Ok, bash me more. When I was looking online for the dog the reason for it was to help with my depression (i have seen doctors and a psychologist many times before, I'm NOT just making it up, I have a problem. I don't appreciate you all saying I'm lying when I have an honest problem)...I had been told be the manager just 2 weeks ago that I could get a dog if I had a doctors notes stating that it would help. From that 2 weeks til now I was looking for a dog. I just found one last week and we got him tuesday this week. In between the time that I was told by the manager I could have one with a doctors note (which I had every intention of getting just didn't have time this week) the manager got fired for stealing $16,000 of peoples rent money. So, today the shelter manager came here and tried to take Chipper and I said that I could have him here with a doctors note so she told me that was fine, get one and work things out with the office. So I went to the office to tell them I was on my way to get a note (i made an emergency appointment), because there's no manager right now a 21 year old chic from the corporate office is running the place. She told me that they had "just changed the rules of no dogs" My boyfriend was pissed because we had been told two weeks ago we could have a dog, so we got one so the rule we were told should still stand. The lady told us again the changed the rules so my bf asked to see where it's stated for tenants to see that it's changed. She wouldn't show us anything so we have no idea if it's true. Anyway, we asked for a copy of our lease, told her this was going to be made legal, and left. When we got back I called legal aid and talked to someone about the situation. He said that for two reasons I shouldn't have to give up the dog. #1 because I was told by someone in charge at the time I asked that I could have one then that still stands because there's no legal documentation and tenants weren't notified. #2 because we got the dog to help me with my depression then it is considered a service dog and in no way can they make me give him up as long as I am seen by a doctor and get a prescription stating that the dog is for service purposes for therapy for my depression. I myself had no intentions of adopting the dog until it was done legal, I told me bf and he adopted him for me. I will be going to the office today to give them my legitimate note and if they want to cause a hassle they can because it's the law that I can have him.

I don't appreciate you two jumping on me because I have a therapy dog. The reason I wanted him from the day I found him online is for therapy reasons because I don't believe in the drug treatment. I've never done drugs in my life and never want to be addicted to anything. My life as a child was horrible, my moms got issues and obviously the chemical imbalance has been passed to me because for as long as I can remember I've been depressed. So, in conclusion, and again, I don't appreciate you telling me that I DON'T have a depression problem when you DON'T even know me. I in no way manipulated the system or lied. So, I think I'll just be staying off this site for awhile until things cool down and you all realize that I'VE GOT ISSUES AND MY THERAPY DOG IS LEGITIMATE
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

OH, let me address the biting thing which I forget in my last essay. We knew he bit, the fact that he bit my boyfriend was NO shock at all. I was just asking if anyone had in suggestions on how to get him not to bite because when we try and pick him up to kennel him or anything when he's been bad is when he bites. So all we really can do is say NO real firmly and let him just crawl up onto our laps 2 seconds later. And, as far as training..I guess for depression a dog doesn't need training. Sorry to disappoint you but I have a problem and my dog is to help.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:58 AM

Well, I would like to be the first to respond.

The fact remains that good advice has been offered to you but you chose to ignore the questions that people needed answers to in order to give you more appropriate advice.

You did NOT tell us exactly what was going on. All you told us was that you can't have dogs in your apt but that a lot of people had them & didn't have an ok.

AND if you were going to "do it legally" why would you say "I would love to train him to go outside but I can't be seen with him" Ummm, if everything is legitimate what would it matter? And the fact that your friends mom not having an ok and still having a dog, etc. You also stated: "If it comes down to it I'll go to my doctor and get a note saying I'm depressed" So, in other words you hadn't planned on that from the beginning, that was your backup plan in case you were caught. I could go on & on but I don't want to waste my time.

It just doesn't add up Tutebugs and I think you're still lying.

If you don't want to come back here & post, I don't have a problem with that. Advice & help has been offered.

This is too much drama for me.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I guess I just didn't think my personal mental issue was anyone's business. I wasn't thinking it'd be a problem so I wasn't rushing into the doctor. I didn't want a huge issue and have to have a service therapy dog, it just makes me feel so degrated.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I think this thread has gotten out of hand, yes I agree many things have transpired in this thread... Personally I do believe that one of the rules on PT is that personal attacks are not allowed, and since this thread is now becoming far to personal and feelings are being hurt I have no choice but to close this thread.

*if one of the admins or other mods feel I am in the wrong or out of line please correct me*
Closed Thread

Tags
animal shelter, breed dogs, crate trained, crate training, dog park, kennel cough, litter box, obedience training, older dog, potty train, potty trained, regular vet