Help with Chipper - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Help with Chipper

We got Chipper at about 11am yesterday (Tuesday). He peed on the carpet almost immediatly and then pooped a few hours later, in a differen spot, and then at about 5 last night he peed in our bedroom. We put him in our bathroom with a doggy bed, food, water, his favorite toy and a puppy pad (cuz he was supposedly trained very well on these). We let him out at about 8:45 this morning and he hadn't peed or pooped. He ran into the bedroom to my bf who was sitting on the edge of the bed and peed a little on his foot. He put him on the pad, chipper walked off of it and started peeing so my bf put him on the pad and he went a little. I'm so worried with what's going on. I hope that made sense. He hasn't really peed since 5 yesterday and pooped for longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

If he was previously potty trained, or at least they told you he was, then he might just need some time to get used to his new surroundings. What we did with Max, who was harder than ever to potty train, was everytime I took him out, I would just stand out there with him, and constantly tell him "Go potty!" Over and over, until he did, even if it took 20 or 30 minutes...and I would praise him like heck when he did go, so he eventually knew that if he went potty, outside, that it was a very good thing. Another thing that helped a lot with Max, was I always kept a treat in my pocket, and he knew once he went, he got it. So after he started picking it all up, he would run to me as soon as he finished, to get his well deserved treat. It took us a while to potty train him, but he eventually got it.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Chipper is supposedly trained to go on a puppy pad...not outside. He's got on the floor, right in front of his pad, rather then on the pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Adolescent Pup

Does'nt sound like he is very 'trained' I would start taking him outiside every 20 min or so if he is young. How old is he? Sorry if I missed that post.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

Would also like to know how old he is. Maybe it's best that you retrain him to go outside. It takes a long time and dedication. There was one whole day when I took Cookie outside so many times to do her business that on the weekday when I went to work, she held it until I got home and did her business outside. Like jmb said, praise Chipper ALOT when he does his business outside. Carry treats in your pocket and take him out constantly so he understands that it is time to do his business.

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Mia
Formerly Known as Nico

Yep I agree.The pads are a no go for him.
Take him out the first thing in the morning when you let him out of the bathroom.
I would pick him up rather then let him walk out side.
Also withing 20 mins of eating he needs to go out and after every nap.
Hope this helps

:rainbow:
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

Ok I read the other topic he is 6. Maybe he just needs time to adjust but if he continues to do this I would start over from the beginning just like you would a puppy and retrain him. I would also do this out side just cause your ferrets are going to have those pee pads everywhere and you won't be able to keep them off. I would not believe everything the people told you when you got him since you already said he is not anything like they said.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yeah, he might just need time to adjust. If he is going around the pee pads, maybe if you set two down next together or something, so he has more room to move around...I notice when Max goes to the bathroom (outside though) that he will move his legs, and just get sidetracked sometimes watching things, that he will wobble around a little...haha...maybe he is just having a hard time staying still while he goes and needs more pad room...just a thought...dont know if it will work though. But I also think that if he doesnt seem to pick up the pads at all within the next few days, that you might want to retrain him outside, it will be hard, but ya never know, he might pick it up quickly. Good luck!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

What I've read is that when dogs are paper trained that they can easily get confused about where to go inside is ok. They know they can go inside but may forget to go on the pads. That can be one of the problems with paper training. (since you don't train to only go potty outside) Of course some people paper train and have no problems though.

In my experience it's easier to have a young puppy go on the pads but as they get older may not be as consistent with going on the pads/paper.

And I agree, he will need time to adjust to his new surroundings. It hasn't even been 24 hours, I wouldn't get too worried yet.

~ Jodi ~

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Chipper needs to be trained to go inside. We live in apartments that don't allow dogs so he has to be inside. I'd love to train him to go outside but we can't be seen with him. The reason we picked Chipper is because it said he was pad trained and the lady at the shelter told me he's pad trained and when i was there it appeared he was. He's 6 years old and has used puppy pads for 6 years because his previous owner was a truck driver so his 3 chihuahuas had to be home alone.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

First of all, make sure you are giving him ample room to sniff around. Place 4 pads together in a large square - he'll have more success because the area he's allowed to "go on" is bigger. Also, until he's acclimated to your home and your routine- place those pads in as many places as you can. Success is the key - praise him lavishly when he goes on them.
Is he crate trained? Even though he is 6, you might want to look into getting him a crate. Even pad or paper training is so much easier when the dog is being crated. Take the introduction to the crate (should you decide this would be a good thing to do - and everyone knows that I am one of those crate training advocates ) very slow if he has never been crated before. You can refer to the article I wrote for some guidance and encouragement.

As far as not pooping- how much is he eating? Most times a dog will really "go off his feed" while adjusting to new surroundings. Take it slow. Offer him lots of food from your hand. This is a good way to bond with him and get him to trust you.

The amount he is eating and drinking will dictate how much he is peeing and pooping. I wouldn't be too concerned for the first few days - as long as you see hiim drinking and eating at least a little.
Good Luck and please keep us updated!

As long as you take it slow, let him know what you expect in a positive way - and Praise! him lavishly, I think he will settle in nicely.

Question: Since dogs are not allowed in your complex - what will happen if Chipper barks when you aren't home? Or barks during play sessions or to alert you to things outside etc? All dogs do bark... and some whine and "talk" to us a lot!
Will your neighbors hear him and complain?

[center]

[
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Miss New Booty

I agree with what everyone else said. I don't know much about paper training, but I would say give him some time to adjust, everything is new and different for him. As for going to the bathroom, I think every animal I brought home didn't go to the bathroom right away. I remember I kept looking in Snuggles' (my cat) litter box to see if he went when I first adopted him and he didn't go until the next day. I was so worried, and he was my first cat, so I didn't know. But it just takes awhile to get used to it all. Jodi had a good point. He knows it's ok to go in the house, but doesn't exactly know *where to go* yet. Once he knows where the puppy pads are, etc, he will get back in the swing of things probably. I also agree a crate like Linda said would be helpful.
Ohhh man you aren't allowed to have doggies there at all? What happens if he does bark? We snuck animals in our apt, but it was a pet friendly environment and most all the neighbors had dogs, so it wasn't a question of that. Or maybe you are friends with your neighbors and told them about him?

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

He hasn't barked yet. He does bark but it's so quiet no one will know. There's other people that have dogs here other then us. Plus, the lady that's doing the office work now, cuz the manager got fired, is my friends mom and they have a dog without an ok.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't mean to be the negative one here..... BUT why would you get a dog where you can't have him? What happens if someone finds out he is there? Then the poor thing has to go to 'another' new home. I am sorry I just think this was an irresponsible thing to do. Not to mention the poor dog has to stay inside all the time. Dogs need fresh air and room to run. I also noticed you are getting rid of your rats cause you got a new dog. Will you get rid of your dog when the next pet comes along?
Sorry if this is taken the wrong way but I don't understand how you can just replace pets. This is not the first time in your posts something like this happened.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidertales
I don't mean to be the negative one here..... BUT why would you get a dog where you can't have him? What happens if someone finds out he is there? Then the poor thing has to go to 'another' new home. I am sorry I just think this was an irresponsible thing to do. Not to mention the poor dog has to stay inside all the time. Dogs need fresh air and room to run. I also noticed you are getting rid of your rats cause you got a new dog. Will you get rid of your dog when the next pet comes along?
Sorry if this is taken the wrong way but I don't understand how you can just replace pets. This is not the first time in your posts something like this happened.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that everything you said there was totally uncalled for. There are a lot of people in this apartment complex (a 3 floor complex made up of 2 buildings) that have dogs, which i have mentioned a few times before, and no one says a word about that. As I stated in my other post also, the current manager is my friend mom, and they have a dog (not supposed to have dogs). So, in conclusion..I"ve been trying to find someone to adopt my rats for awhile cuz they just don't get the attention they need. My dog doesn't bark so no one can really tell, no one will care anyway. I will not get rid of my dog for the next pet cuz there won't be a next pet. I have a dog and ferrets...that's cool with me
Closed Thread

Tags
animal shelter, breed dogs, crate trained, crate training, dog park, kennel cough, litter box, obedience training, older dog, potty train, potty trained, regular vet