Help on crate training an older male dog.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Help on crate training an older male dog....

Ok, my male dachshund Rebel has lived outside for most of his life. I have sneaked him in the house before while my mom was not home or have taken him with me to freinds house before. He is neutered but it was done around the age of 7 months and he will lift his leg to this day to mark his place. I am moving in to my apartment on the 17th and between now and then, I hope it is enough time, I plan on setting up my crate and introducing him to it. I already know that he will wait until I let him out of his kennel to go poop but I don't know about peeing. He does run around and pee on lots of things though, he will pee one long time and then go around and "squirt" on other stuff. I just want to make sure I do this right as I don't think I did with Claire. Rebel does spend most of his time in his dog house so I think he will lean quickly that the crate is home and that he will not mind staying inside. If need any other info. just ask away! Any advice from you guys would be great! Thanks!

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh and here's a pic of Rebel so you know who you are dealing with, lol!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Last edited by dappledoxie; 01-29-2004 at 02:45 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

He's so cute! I love his markings - so pretty!

I have had an article on Crate Training and Introducing The Crate in the works for over a month- I am such a procrastinator!

I promise - I am going to finish the article tonight and it should have plenty of information on how to introduce the crate, and crate training information - The basic principle and methods are basically the same for an older dog - it definately is possible to crate train Rebel. I'm confident that you can do it!

And thanks for posting that question because it's just more reason for me to get my butt in gear and finish that article!!

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

lol No problem! I thank you sooooo much! I think he is a smart boy who can learn to make the crate his new "dog house". He is a really well-mannered dog and I hope that living inside will let me and Rebel bond even more! I also hope that the fact of Claire being in the other room doesn't cause him or her for that matter to bark like crazy. They may bark for awhile, couple of days, but I think they will get over/used to it. Thanks Deja! Just let me know when you put the article up.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Playful Pup

I dont know if it's any help, but I wasnt successful in crate training my Older dog who wasnt crated before
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I worry about it a lot, especially since I am moving this Sat. I just hope that since he spends sooo much time in his dog house that he can allow himself to stay in the crate and be a good boy. I would just let him have free roam of most of the apartment but he would pee on things! Can you imagine him peeing on my couch and other things, he may be short, but I don't think that can stop him, lol. I hope I can get him to learn and be a good boy....

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Playful Pup

When our dogs "squirt" outside we know its them leaving email for other dogs. I would keep trying to train to squirt outside only. I think crating might be a confusing factor. It may help to put something in his doghouse that has his scent on it and then put that in the crate. I would also suggest not keeping him outdoors as much, if possible in your new place? Let me know how you're doing!!
Melissa :-)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

How is Rebel doing?
I finally posted the Crating article - yay

I think a lot of the principles I wrote about apply to older dogs who have never been crated before. Actually- I think with some work - almost any dog can be taught to accept being crated.
I'm thinking that since Rebel has been used to an outside dog house making the transition to an inside kennel won't be that difficult. He's already used to having his own "bedroom". Putting a tee-shirt or a favorite plush toy with his own scent on it is great advice. They are comforted by their own scent.

Let us know how he is doing!

[center]

[
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

So far I haven't been able to bring him in the house, I'm still at home with my mom right now. I am going to have him inside Sat. evening. I don't plan on taking him outside after that unless I am taking him out to potty or play. He is going to be an inside dog from now on. I'm gonna read your article Deja, thanks so much! You probably say this in the article but what kind of things do you put in with them? Water, toys, crate pad/bed, etc...

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Tags
crate training, older dog