help- dog pulls when tied - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

help- dog pulls when tied

My mom wants some advice, they tie the puppy when they are gone-
From her email:

when we tie Ozzy outside, he gets really upset and tries to grab at my arm or my shirt as I am leaving. He acts like he’s really mad! He has to be tied when we are gone—until I get the kennels purchased. I’ve tried giving him toys and feeding him as I leave, but he still acts the same.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Can't they leave him in a room where he can roam and play with toys? The room should be safe enough that he should reach something sharp or chew.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

No he is a big lab that destroys everything. and i have a feeling then he would be attached to her when putting him in his room.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 PM

There is a reason trainers and other animal professionals recommend crate training. It keep the dog safe from injuring himself or your things while you are gone.

Leaving him chained up in the yard isn't safe. He can pull until the chain breaks, or could choke himself. I understand that Labs are large dogs and getting a crate for him could be pricey but it's well worth it. We adopted a 10 year old lab, who was an outside dog, and had him completely crate trained in a few months.

As for the pulling and grabbing of shirts and arms it sounds like separation anxiety. Do your parents have him in a training class? The Petsmart near our house has a lot of techniques on how to help lessen the stress of separation. They start with being out of his sight for a few seconds and then make it little longer until you can leave for a few hours with him being so stressed. Obviously there are treats and other things involved but a training class would help immensely.

From the email I gather that your parents intent to leave te dog outside in a kennel, at least while they are gone. Please let your parents know that Labs are smart and I've owned more than one who has learned several ways to get out of a kennel, digging is the least of the escape techniques and not the easiest either.

Honestly I think crate training would fix the majority of the problems and keep him safe while your parents are gone.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He has a crate but being out doors is much better. Once she is inside he is perfectly happy, no barking no pulling the leash no anything. He has tons of toys.

He does well in the crate at night. We just feel that him being out side gives him things to watch and he can go to the bathroom and eat and drink when ever he wants and he can play. Once they get their kennel it will act like a large crate.

He is only tied some of the day. My dad is a farmer so he is there off and on all day and he can be let loose when he is there, and then again at night with my mom.

I think he only does this to my mom because i'm sure he gives her the "I don't want to be tied" look and sometimes she doesn't tie him then where as my dad i'm sure just ties him and walks away. Hm maybe that is the answer.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Part of the Pack

I think the dog needs to be inside. putting the dog on a chain, unattended, is dangerous. So many things can go wrong. And the belief that the dog will be happier with the freedom of being outside all day is debatable. Dogs that have structure and a schedule seem far happier, because they have discipline and boundaries they listen to you much better which makes everyone happier. So letting the dog go to the bathroom whenever it wants and letting it do what it wants in an area as big as a back yard, could lead to dominance issues. Dogs need structure and security, and chaining it in the yard doesn't seem to give it either, but as you say, it does give him freedom, and if that's all you want for the dog, then good luck getting him used to being tied up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Newborn Pup

i agree with everything everyone else is saying. its dangerous to leave a dog tied up outside when your not at home. the dog could choke or break the tie. i myself have a tie out chain for my dog, i will NEVER allow him to be on the chain while i'm not home. its just not safe, i also don't think that kennels are very safe either.the dog can dig out of them, other dogs, and wild animals can also dig to get inside the kennel. yes crates are pricey but they are the best and safest for your pet.

My Family
Fluff (Black lab, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund mix)
Jete (American Shorthair)
Gordan (Chinese Dwarf Hamster) RIP 6-24-09

My Other family
Missy (Cocker Spaniel)
Fluff (Longhair cat)
Happy (Yellow Lab)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Not only can they dig under the kennel a really determined Lab will learn to climb over it. We owned a lab that had several Vet trips because he sliced pen his belly after learning to climb a chain link fence. Eventually he climbed over and never came back.

A crate is safer when you're not home to look after him.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

It will have a top, and possibly a cement edge

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Your Mom should be careful if she leaves his collar on when he's in the kennel. I heard a story of someones dog jumping up and getting it's collar stuck on the wire of the kennel and accidently hanging itself.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but good luck!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

I really don't think any dog is "safe" outside unattended...too many dangers,not to mention frostbite,heatstroke,accidentally hanging oneself or getting caught somewhere,it's just a no no.I don't care what breed they are,it's a pet...& life & death situations can happen in the matter of seconds...no dog is actually better outside .

I like a better idea,having the dog inside,with it's toys,& maybe getting someone to drop by throughout the owners away time to check on the pooch& give it a walk for it's bathroom breaks...