HELP!!!!! Frustrated beyond belief - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy HELP!!!!! Frustrated beyond belief

Jake is frustrating me and I'm at the end of my rope. He likes to sneak out the front door and run the neighborhood. When we first got him, he would sneak out every morning. He's gotten a lot better, but he still manages to get out 2-3x a week. When he gets out, he runs for close to an hour. I have to chase him in my car, and when he gets tired enough, he will follow me home. He doesn't understand cars at all, and it's a miracle that he hasn't been hit yet. I'm at the end of my rope, and don't know what else to do. I'm starting to think that maybe he would be better at a house where he had a huge yard to run in, and a friend to play with. We can't provide him with either of these. I love this dog with all my heart, but it's been over a year since we've had him, and I don't see it getting better. I am afraid it's just in his nature to run and I won't be able to break him of it. I don't want to lose him, but wants to do what's ultimately the best thing for him. I don't know that he's getting everything he needs here. Any help or advice would be wonderful. I'm truly at the end of my rope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Perhaps some obediance courses? Teaching him recall. Getting him involved in an activity that requires he listen to you (like agility?). Also, you can get those invisible fences that work with a special collar. Have you tried any of that?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I haven't tried an electric fence, yet. I've tried obedience classes and they don't seem to work. He just doesn't get it. He's not exactly the smartest dog around LOL. But, I guess I will have to look into an electric fence. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:57 AM

I would suggest keeping his leash by the front door and putting it on him before you open it every single time you do. Correct him when he tries to bolt....you have to be consistant with it but eventually, he'll get it
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansale
Jake is frustrating me and I'm at the end of my rope. He likes to sneak out the front door and run the neighborhood. When we first got him, he would sneak out every morning. He's gotten a lot better, but he still manages to get out 2-3x a week. When he gets out, he runs for close to an hour. I have to chase him in my car, and when he gets tired enough, he will follow me home. He doesn't understand cars at all, and it's a miracle that he hasn't been hit yet. I'm at the end of my rope, and don't know what else to do. I'm starting to think that maybe he would be better at a house where he had a huge yard to run in, and a friend to play with. We can't provide him with either of these. I love this dog with all my heart, but it's been over a year since we've had him, and I don't see it getting better. I am afraid it's just in his nature to run and I won't be able to break him of it. I don't want to lose him, but wants to do what's ultimately the best thing for him. I don't know that he's getting everything he needs here. Any help or advice would be wonderful. I'm truly at the end of my rope.
Once you get to the end of the rope, just tie a knot and hold on!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:22 AM

Our GSD is/was a wanderer and he's such a big and intimidating dog. Even though we live in the country, we wanted him to stay on our property. So, we have our GSD on the invisible fence and we love it! He knows his boundries and won't leave unless we call him. I doubt we would even need to put his collar on every day. We're able to leave him while we go to work and he doesn't go out of his boundries. It's worked great for us. We have the wireless system, it was about $400. The wireless system is nice because you don't have to dig up your yard and you can take it with you if you move.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, yesterday he got out again. Well, actually my daughter thought it would be funny to take him off his chain in the front yard (where he hangs out when it's nice and watch the people walking by). So, he ended up spending about 2 hours running around. When hubby got home, he ran up to dh's car. So, I guess he's getting better about coming home at least. DD is no longer allowed to open the front door or go outside when he's out there. Hopefully it will get better. I've come to realize it's not him, as much as it is Leigh. I mean, I would love to have a mutt that I could let lounge in the front yard without a leash, but such is life.