HELP....I need help with making a decision - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

HELP....I need help with making a decision

ok so we're adopting a dog. they wouldn't let us take him without being neutered and so he is going in tomorrow. now when we adopted him they said we could take him tomorrow afternoon but now the animal hospital is saying no you can't and the shelter is denying ever saying that we could get him tomorrow after noon. i pushed a little harder and the vet said there was a waiver we could sign saying we were going against vet recommendations to keep him over night so the anestetic would wear off and any problems would be noticed.

what should we do. he is 3 hours away and we cleared our whole schedle and the schedule of our friends wh were helping us bring him down so we could get him. do you think it will be safe to sign the waiver? our vets office always lets us take our other pets home on the same day as a fixing prosess and they all did fine...

i just don't get why if they're doing a morning sugery why he would need to stay over night?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes it is usually safe, but remember every dog reacts different to the anesthesia so it could take longer or shorter to wear off then you plan. Most dogs recover better at home anyway just make sure he has a cone and that you limit his exercise. Everything should be fine.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ya thats what i was thinking. we've never had a dog say over night for a fixing. most come home actually within the hour after their surgeries and do just fine.

i really would love to know their reasoning behind trying to keep him overnight.

Pet's name:
Baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Well sometimes the anesthesia takes a while to wear off, so that might be why, or just to make sure.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Playful Pup

When we adopted our lil guy Stitch a couple months ago they let him come home the same day as the procedure- we just had to go for him right near closing at 5 o'clock so that they could monitor him all day. He was just fine and didn't have any problems.

I sort of have always thought/ seen that lil boys get to come home same day whereas lil girls usually are kept overnight for observation.

Hope that helps,

Heather
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Boys usually recover faster and any dog at home will usually recover faster also. I would try not to let him jump and not too much exercise. Take it easy

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you decide to sign that waiver, make sure you are going to supervise him for possible reactions to anesthesia. Hope he gets well very soon.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

we are going to sign the waiver simple because this is the only day for the next like 2 months we can get him with out schedule and if we can't get him today they won't hld him so we can't get him.

Pet's name:
Baby

Tags
dog adoption, neutering, take home early