Help Me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help Me

I have an 8 week old pit bull puppy and for the last 3 days Tanks been throwing up and in almost 2 days he hasn't ate anything he'll drink a little bit at a time but he'll end up throwing it up. I took him to the vet and they can't figure it out they put him on med. to help him stop vomiting but he hasn't. can anyone help me they said it might be toxicidia????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Have you called your vet to tell them that the medication isnt helping with the vomiting?? If you have and they arent giving you any more options, then I would go to another vet. Good luck, and I hope Tanks problem gets solved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Is he having diarrhea? How is he feeling? Does he just lay around?
Did they test for Parvo? How many vaccines has he had?

If they did test for Parvo and it's been a couple days, I would re-test. Early parvo can be negative. I'd also do a CBC - a low white blood cell count is usually very indicitative of Parvo.

Regardless, I'd want that puppy hospitalized if he were mine. At 8 weeks with continuous vomiting, he can't survive long. He'll need IV fluids and injectible medications.

Coccidia can cause vomiting and diarrhea, but my first suspicion in an 8 week old puppy with symptoms this severe would be Canine Parvo Virus. I really would recommend taking him back in and doing it now if you're able.

I hope he does well for you. Hang in there.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Ditto to what Jade said. Parvo was my first thought too.

I'd go back to the vet and have him rechecked. Best of luck to you.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

he doesn't have diarrhea , they said its not parvo but all he does is lay around i called and talked to my vet and she said to try little bit of water at a time but he still can't keep it down Does anyone know what toxcidia is????
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think they meant coccidia, which is an intestinal parasite. I would really expect diarrhea if that were the case.

My next suggestion would be x-rays of his neck/chest area to see if there's something wrong there. What comes to mind is megaesophagus but it's possible it's something much less serious.

I really would either seek a second opinion (today) or request that they see him and check his hydration levels and give IV fluids and injectible medications. An 8 week old puppy should be full of life and bouncing off the walls in between naps - what you're seeing is not normal.

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Did they give him a stomach x-ray?
I had a puppy who stopped eating and was acting strange and it turned out he had swallowed something.
I would listen to Jade.
Vets are not gods they can get it wrong so maybe try another one or at least one who is not gonna send a vomiting, not eating dog home.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

I took Tank back to the vet!!! they're going to put him on an IV and monitor him over night so I'll know somthing in the morning
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I hope he's feeling better soon! Please keep us updated.

Rhonda

Tags
pit bull