Help! New Puppy won't stop crying!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Help! New Puppy won't stop crying!!

I just brought home our new 9 week old poodle puppy. We have had her for 2 full days now. She is super sweet and loving and wants to be with us ALL the time! We have a crate and an ex-pen that she can stay in and we move it from room to room. We crate her at night and she does really well at night so far. The problem is that she cries and screams anytime she is put into the pen or crate by herself whether I leave the house or am in the room. I am worried that my neighbors are going to think I am beating her. I left her in today until she stopped crying for a full minute and then picked her up and gave her some love. I can't do this all the time. Any suggestions on how to help her cope while she is in the pen/crate and we can't be with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Hello Earthling

She might just be scared being in a new environment.
When you have to leave her leave a radio on, the voices might help comfort her.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

if you put an alarm clock in her blankets the ticking will also help her be less scared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

She sounds cute!

We crate Kit at night and when we leave the house. For the first two weeks he would cry every time we tried to leave him alone in the crate. At first, try putting the crate somewhere close to you. We kept Kit's crate next to our bed at night so he didn't feel so alone. If we had to leave him home, we kept a radio on for him and did the clock trick too. We also discovered that if we kept the room he was in dark, that he would usually go to sleep faster instead of just crying the whole time.

Also, you want to make her crate a happy comforting place for her. Never put her in it to punish her. Give her treats when she goes it. I even fed Kit his meals inside his crate for awhile.

Also remember that puppies have small bladders and usually can't hold their pee very long. If she's in there for awhile and starts crying she may need to go to the bathroom.

It was a rough 2 weeks when we first got our puppy, but it's well worth it in the end. Now he goes in his crate happily when we tell him too with no complaining. If you need more advice, there are tons of books and internet articles about how to crate train.

Good luck!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Betta Bomb

Well, she's had her mom or sibs come to her EVERY time she cried in her litter. Weaning a puppy is heart breaking because they miss their families like nothing else. Also, a new environment that her mommy didnt tell her about. Give her time, think about it from her angle. Peace rest with you and your patience
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Part of the Pack

The best way to help her is to give her time. Rags did the same thing when we got him. He cried when we crated him to go to sleep and he cried when we crated him to leave. After a while he got used to it and now has no problem being in the crate when we leave the house. (He now sleeps on the floor in our bedroom.)

Michelle is right about making the crate a positive experience give her a treat when she goes in and another when she comes out. Give her lots of praise for being in her crate and behaving. Don't give her treats if she's crying.

Just give her time to adjust to a new living situation and make it a positive experience for her and she'll learn to love the way you live.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

poodles easily get separation anxiety so you should look up ways to prevent that online. Trust me it will get worse if you don't.

give her time and don't respond to the cries. give toys and maybe a kong in the play pen so its fun.

[/CENTER]

Tags
new puppies, seperation, whining