Help! Our homeowner's insurance just canceled us!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help! Our homeowner's insurance just canceled us!!

We just bought a house and closed a few weeks ago. Everything was going great until last week, I got a call saying that the company was going to cancel our homeowner's insurance because of the breed of our dog, he's an American Staffordshire Terrier, which they classify as a Pit Bull. When I called the company to clarify why they were canceling us, if it was because they thought he was an American Pitbull Terrier or if it was because his breed was in the group of "Pit Bulls" they could not give me an answer. His breed does fall in the group of "Pit Bulls" but so do a lot of other breeds that they will insure! Does anyone know of any companies, specifically in New York State, that will insure my pup? Or that do not have a restricted dog list? Please help us!! We can't find anyone that will insure us!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:20 PM

I've never heard of such a thing....interesting. Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 PM

I know in missouri they have a "fair insurance" that is through the state and that they cover everyone. You can try to see about that if you need to get covered immediately so you can take your time looking around for another. My grandparents had All-state and my cousin who has a rott (which is considered a "dangerous dog" around here ) has state farm. I hope this helps and I cant wait until idiots realise that an animal is "dangerous" because of its breed. I personaly feel it is the newest form of bigotry. I have a GSD mix and a rott mix and am waiting for them come after my babies.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, typing one handed and in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 02:05 PM

wow i'v never heard of such a thing. we just bought our house 6mo.ago and they didn't even ask us about pets and what we have. we have nationwide. i hope that helps--good luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Our insurance company asked what kinds of dogs we have, and they still cover us, we have Boxers, but I have heard of some companies denying people insurance because of the breed of thier dogs. They have a list of dogs they consider viscious...which of course its wrong to judge a whole breed...but they do. I hope you get it figured out, or else find an insurance company who accepts all dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 AM

That is crazy. They should have asked that prior to issuing your policy.

Unfortunately there are several companies that have breed lists that they won't cover. Some will just cancel you, others will request you get rid of your dogs.

I'm not sure what companies in your area will cover you with your dog but there are some. Contact your state insurance commisioner for assistance. They will have that information.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Guarded by Waffles

We have a "Rat Terrier" becasue our dog is a mutt so she isn't technically a pit bull but she sure looks like one. It stinks that they cancelled you. I hope you can find another insurance

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

where I live they have breed specific insurance policies as well...especially sence my backyard butts up to the school, they wanted to cancel us for our Cocker Spaniel mix, but since she is a poodle cocker mix they wrote her down as poodle...lol my yorkie is the vicous one...little do they know

good luck with insurance, its so hard where I live to find an insurer that will accept all dogs

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you. I have heard that a lot of home owners insurance companies do this. They won't insure people with pitbulls, rotties, cane corso, etc. Personally I think this should be illegal, but it's not. Some companies will just charge more if you have one of the breeds on the list. I am in PA, so I don't know any companies in NY, but I will do some research and see if I can find anything out for you. This is just another example of the ignorance of many people, they want to group certain breeds of dogs as bad and get rid of them, its just like the breed specific bands in some cities. It's sad that people are this close minded and judgemental. Well I will stop ranting now. good luck in your search for homeowners insurance.

Tags
bull terrier, cocker spaniel, pit bull, pit bulls, rat terrier