Help with Paper Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help with Paper Training

hoping someone can help, my two year old yorkie likes to hit her papers 90% of the time, but she lovessss to poop on the bath mat...do to the fact I have a 9 month old son, I can't follow her everywhere. I don't want to shut the door as it is a small bathroom and gets stuffy quick.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
nadinesky

petacularboutique . com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not expert but I can advice one thing, dogs do scent their last poop or pee on a place when not totally cleaned and they will pee or poop on that again. My friend had to drop little pee every time she buy new pee pad.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Hello Earthling

Can you not train it to go outside????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

from my experience with those pee pads is they shouldn't be used for a dog to use.

My roommate uses them, her dog walks as it goes potty and so some is on the pad some isn't, so the whole area around the pee pad had pee and poo on it. i don't think you can teach them not to do that, maybe change it every time they go but it says that stresses them but most dogs won't want to go in their own pee or poo

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Well unfortunately, to a dog, a bath mat can look just about the same as a pile of papers on the floor.

If you can't train her to go outside, I would say either find something else to use other then paper or pee pads, something with a more distinctive look like maybe a dog litter box or one of those turf dog bathrooms they make. Or I guess you could just try taking the bath mat off the floor, if you can live without it.

But I have heard a lot of cases of dogs mistaking things on the floor for paper - rugs, magazines left on the floor, even blankets folded up on the floor.

Good luck!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Newborn Pup

Ha!! It is also possible that your baby could have left a little urine dribble on the mat going into the warm tub, or hubby on the lid late at night trying not to wake you (maybe it only happens at my house?)....and she could be "over-marking"....

Yorkies are very competitive for attention....I bet she is a doll!!!! Sorry, but this story makes me giggle a little....I can just see her face..." You pee in here, why can't I".....

I babysit my dads yorkie for a week every year (I have big dogs)...and he is my heart....bossy, bossy little fellow....puts me in my place often. I live to serve, you know... I love that dog!!!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

4.8.16.3 Crested Gecko
2.0 Leopard Gecko
1.3 Domestic Cat
0.2 Golden Retriever
1.1 Prairie Dog
0.1 Cory Cat
2.1 Beautiful Children
1.0 Patient Husband

Tags
paper training, training, yorkshire terrier