Help in perimeter training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Help in perimeter training

Hi all! I am new to the boards & am enjoying reading all the posts. We are awaiting the arrival (15 days to go!) of our new puppy, Banjo, a golden retriever. I am trying to find info on perimeter training. We live on a fairly busy road and I want to make this a priority. Not that he'd be in the front yard much, as we do have a large fenced back yard, but with 3 children, I don't want to take the chance of him darting out the front door. Any suggestions, or recommended books on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0225 (2).JPG (38.3 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I find the command "wait" would be perfect for a situation like this.

Here's how you teach it:

1. Put your dog on a leash and head towards the door like you're going outside. If you have a screen door, prop this open ahead of time.

2. As you get to the door, tighten the leash and say "wait," then opening the door. When/if he tries to dart outside, give a sharp "no" or "ah-ah" and use alternating pressure (tightening the leash to pull him back and then loosening it again) to keep him inside. You have to be quick. Don't let his paws cross the threshold of the door.

3. Keep practising this a few times until he finally "WAITS." Once he gets it, praise him and then go back into the house for a break (or go outside for a walk after saying something like, "okay, let's go.")

4. After you practise this for a few days and you think he has it, make one change. As you approach the door, do NOT tighten up the leash. Leave it completely loose. Tell him "wait" as you open the door. If he tries to dart out, do like you did before and snap him back into the house with a firm "ah-ah" or "no."

5. Once he has this down pat for a few days, it's time to add distractions. Have one of your kids walk by you (without looking at or acknowledging the dog) to go outside and have them play ball or do things that the usually do outside. Pretend to talk to someone at the door, sit in a chair and read a book by the door, move around and hum or sing. The dog is learning that if you tell him "wait," no matter what, if you don't tell him "okay, let's go," he is NOT to step over the threshold of the door.

6. Graduate to a longer leash (say a 20ft. one). Open the door, tell the dog to "wait" and then you can walk around the house, the dog can follow you, or just may want to sit by the door and peek outside. Still, like previous times, he is NOT to cross the threshold. Once he gets this, do like last time with the short leash and repeat all the distractions.

7. Once this level is achieved, switch back to the short leash. YOU are going to go outside. As you get to the door, say "wait" and open it. YOU will step over the threshold, holding the leash up and back to keep your dog on his side of the door. As soon as you are outside, turn and face him. He should still be on his side of the door. Tell him "wait" and loosen the leash. If he tries to rush out to join you, the second his toe crosses the threshold you use the leash to snap him back inside the house, telling him to "wait" again. But you stay put on the other side! Once he gets it, softly praise him. Hold up your hand can sometimes be a good reminder to "wait." Finally, use the release words ("okay, let's go") to allow him to come over the threshold to join you outside.

8. Practise by getting further and further away from the door and by adding more tempting distractions. Over time, he'll understand not to cross the threshold if someone tells him "wait."

I hope this is some information you find helpful and I hope it wasn't too long or tedious. You can also apply "wait" to other things, too, like the car or maybe even the boundary of your front lawn and the road.

Good luck and keep us posted on when the new baby arrives!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thnaks!

Wow, thank you so much for your VERY helpful information. I will definitely try this. This will be my #1 priority. I can deal with potty accidents & chewed things, but the thought of him darting out that door & getting hurt (or worse), is just unbearable. Thank you again, and I will post how well we are doing with it.

14 DAYS TIL BANJO ARRIVES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 05:36 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

You're very welcome.

I know how you feel. We are consantly having to be careful here because my husband's samoyed DOES NOT listen when you tell him "no" or "wait" and WILL try to dart out of the front door if he has half a chance (he did it once and ran down the walkway and into a neighbour's house who had their door open )!

I find that if you give your puppy lots of things to chew on, they usually don't want to chew on forbidden things--just teach him from the beginning what is and is not right to chew on!

Waiting sucks, doesn't it? I had to wait over a month before we could bring my little sheltie home. It was torture!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

Pihlaja,
a month would be heaven to me. I waited nine whole years to get Levi, my cattle dog. It'll probably be another nine years before I can have another dog.

GREAT training info, by the way. Really thorough.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

DEFINITELY teach the Wait command but please be aware that regardless of this command, dogs have been known to run after a squirrel, car, person jogging regardless and lost their life because of it. Prevention is the best for safety. Keep us posted on your new puppy

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.

Tags
cattle dog, golden retriever